Dec 24, 2008
We have an MSI Laptop. Specs:

i7-7700hq
16GB RAM
GTX 1060
128GB Transcend M.2 SSD
1TB HGST HDD

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Cannot get Spider-Man Remastered to work. The game would crash, saying there was a GPU problem. Looked in Device Manager, and the 1060 had an Exclamation Point on it. So I ran the GeForce Experience and Updated the Driver. Ran the install, and when it finished the install, the app still shows the "Express Installation" & "Customer Installation" options, as if the driver was never installed. Checked Device Manager, and the GPU shows as fine.

Rebooted, tried to load Spider-Man again, and crashed again. Looked in Device Manager, and the 1060 had an Exclamation Point on it.

Uninstalled Geforce Experience (referenced as GE from now on), rebooted, ran Windows Updates, downloaded GE again, and installed. After the installation, the app still shows the "Express Installation" & "Customer Installation" options. Tried opening Nvidia Control Panel, but the wheel spins for about 2 seconds and nothing opens.

Downloaded the DDU, booted to Safe Mode, and ran the DDU, Rebooted.

Tried downloading the stand-alone Nvidia Driver, and during the Installation, opted NOT to install GE, and just the driver instead. reboot, everything checks out in Device Manager. Try opening the Nvidia Control Panel, the wheel spins for about 2 seconds and nothing opens.

I have wiped the boot drive in DISKPART, Reinstalled Win 11 Pro, then ran the original Drivers from MSI for GPU. Still, won't open or load Nvidia CP. Tried running Windows Update, letting it update fully, then rebooting, and the system will only boot in SAFE Mode from there.

I have followed guide from many websites related to this same issue, none of the fixes listed on these have addressed the issue.

In case anyone asks for more clarity about what I have tried, I have tried each of the options on these threads:

You realize your CPU is not supported by Windows 11, right?

And without your platform having support, officially, you are almost guaranteed to be seeing driver related problems. How is it you've installed Windows 11? Did you resort to using a work around that bypasses the CPU check or what, because Windows 11 should not even be allowing itself to install on that system.

i7-7700hq not supported on Windows 11

I'd recommend you go back to Windows 10 and see if you still have the same problems with Nvidia's software.

Given how old the hardware is, it wouldn't surprise me if the GPU is starting to go and is just barely hanging on enough to tell the OS it exists.

At least yours lasted longer. I had a laptop for about 18 months where suddenly the GPU appeared fine, but the moment I put any significant load on it it'd crash.

Yeah, I'm totally not surprised. I'm actually surprised that with an i7 and a GTX 1060, from that generation, that it has lasted this long. Probably also seen significant usage. Heat kills and laptop manufacturers don't much care that there is not enough cooling on ANY of these higher end models, especially those coined as "gaming" models, for them to last much beyond warranty, if that. Fact.

rtp

Jul 16, 2023
I had the same issue where NVIDIA control panel refused to open, and it was connected to Windows refusing to use an unsigned driver (I think). It had worked with an older driver. I never had GE installed at all. However, you are affected by such more serious issues it's impossible to assume that's the reason. (I feel for you ... I can't buy new computers every couple years, either!) I had integrity checks disabled at the time I reinstalled the driver and tested NCP again.

As for the installer running with those options, you can actually do a "clean install" with the NVIDIA installer, or use it to uninstall or install other software components beyond the driver which are included in the program. So I can't speak for your version, but it's not unusual.