Question Nvidia GeForce Experience is slow ?

Dec 19, 2023
GFE loads fine, but individual pages such as drivers or optimisation of games takes a while to load and display on my Lenovo gaming laptops. On my ASUS laptop GFE is very quick.

I have tried uninstalling GFE and reinstalling to no avail.

On my Legions it takes 5-10 minutes to install a driver update, but on my ASUS it’s only a few minutes.

What would you guys suggest I do next? I have seen online a few Acer users are having a similar problem but it takes even longer to load components.

Do we think this is GFE not optimising correctly? Everything does work and the updates for the drivers work. Should I just leave it alone now?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full Lenovo laptop hardware specs and OS information.

RAM: how much, configuration?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity,how full?

= = = =

The key is to discover what the laptop is doing, trying to do, or failing to do during the display and loading process.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and position it so it will remain open and viewable.

Watch what the system is doing for a while - at least until it reaches some steady state where nothing or very little is changing.

Then install a driver update or take some other action where you know or expect the loading to be slow.

Look for what changes.

Be aware that it may take you a bit of trial and error to work out the steps involved in order to see what is actually happening. No need to rush or jump to any immediate conclusions.

Even though the laptops are different manufacturers there is no harm in comparing performance and performance factors between them when downloading etc.. Especially with respect to GFE configuration and performance.

Reactions: WinSoft
Dec 19, 2023
Update your post to include full Lenovo laptop hardware specs and OS information.

RAM: how much, configuration?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity,how full?

= = = =

The key is to discover what the laptop is doing, trying to do, or failing to do during the display and loading process.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

Use all three tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and position it so it will remain open and viewable.

Watch what the system is doing for a while - at least until it reaches some steady state where nothing or very little is changing.

Then install a driver update or take some other action where you know or expect the loading to be slow.

Look for what changes.

Be aware that it may take you a bit of trial and error to work out the steps involved in order to see what is actually happening. No need to rush or jump to any immediate conclusions.

Even though the laptops are different manufacturers there is no harm in comparing performance and performance factors between them when downloading etc.. Especially with respect to GFE configuration and performance.
Okay great, thanks. I will take a look next time there is a driver update.

I have two Lenovo laptops. One is i7 12th gen and the other 13th gen. One is 3060ti and other is 4070. Ram one is 16gb and other is 32gb.

Disk drives: Lenovo 1TB only 30% full.

Is five to ten mins a long time for Nvidia driver update to install?

Thanks again.

Ralston18

Titan
I think so.

But even if I am wrong there should be some good reason for taking "so long".

If possible, disable GFE from any automatic updates.

Then you can manually do the updates while watching what is happening.

Dec 19, 2023
I think so.

But even if I am wrong there should be some good reason for taking "so long".

If possible, disable GFE from any automatic updates.

Then you can manually do the updates while watching what is happening.

I timed the latest driver update my two gaming laptops and watched what happened.

One took 6 minutes and on Nvidia App BETA and explained more what was happening - uninstall old driver etc. and nothing in task out at me.

On my main laptop it took 9 minutes on Nvidia GeForce Experience to install and it four minutes on ‘pending install’. In task manager ‘driver installation module’ was the only thing I could notice.

Any ideas? Thanks.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Nothing helpful, just here to commiserate - on my secondary desktop with the following specs I've been getting similar behavior for the last I-don't-know-how-many-but-it's-been-a-while Nvidia drivers. It's so rare I have a reason to go in there that it doesn't really matter and I tend to forget about the problem, but GFE and the driver settings pages in the old control panel are weirdly slow.

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi
32GB (2x16) G.Skill Ripsaws DDR4-3200
Zotac RTX 2080
2x2tb Intel 670p NVME SSDs
1x Samsung 500GB SATA SSD
1x 4TB WD 3.5" SATA HDD
Lian Li 850w SFX PSU

So it's not just you, and not just laptops. Huh.

Dec 19, 2023
Nothing helpful, just here to commiserate - on my secondary desktop with the following specs I've been getting similar behavior for the last I-don't-know-how-many-but-it's-been-a-while Nvidia drivers. It's so rare I have a reason to go in there that it doesn't really matter and I tend to forget about the problem, but GFE and the driver settings pages in the old control panel are weirdly slow.

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi
32GB (2x16) G.Skill Ripsaws DDR4-3200
Zotac RTX 2080
2x2tb Intel 670p NVME SSDs
1x Samsung 500GB SATA SSD
1x 4TB WD 3.5" SATA HDD
Lian Li 850w SFX PSU

So it's not just you, and not just laptops. Huh.
I’m sorry it’s happening to you too, it’s so annoying. It’s odd how it doesn’t occur on all machines too!

The only thing I can see that is similar is 32GB RAM to my laptop that takes forever.

Anyway, I guess whilst it’s not ‘normal’, it’s not ‘unexpected’ either and it does install so I’ll just have to live with it.

Thanks so much for posting.

Reactions: kira-faye

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I’m sorry it’s happening to you too, it’s so annoying. It’s odd how it doesn’t occur on all machines too!

The only thing I can see that is similar is 32GB RAM to my laptop that takes forever.

Anyway, I guess whilst it’s not ‘normal’, it’s not ‘unexpected’ either and it does install so I’ll just have to live with it.

Thanks so much for posting.
Any chance you're running cacheless SSDs or a hard drive in the affected machine? I suspect (having done no research or testing - gut feelings about tech, gotta love it) that Nvidia just assumes everyone that can afford their current pricing has a super fast high end NVME SSD and it's hitting the disk cache super hard. Maybe. More likely I'm totally wrong.

Dec 19, 2023
Any chance you're running cacheless SSDs or a hard drive in the affected machine? I suspect (having done no research or testing - gut feelings about tech, gotta love it) that Nvidia just assumes everyone that can afford their current pricing has a super fast high end NVME SSD and it's hitting the disk cache super hard. Maybe. More likely I'm totally wrong.
No I’m not, it’s an Nvme latest PCIE 1TB Samsung.

Ralston18

Titan
The key is to discover what the affected machines are doing or trying to do when things take so long.

You can use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free)

Test/try with all three tools but only one tool at a time. You will need to leave the tool window open during the test.

Open the tool window, do nothing else but simply watch. Once the system stable then be ready to launch the install.

Look for what happens or otherwise changes. Watch the graphical presentations.

Likely there will be some time and effort involved along wth some "do overs" to smooth out the process.

Process Explorer may prove helpful. Especially because the data can be sorted and any process or service demanding resource time may stand out.

Does not necessarily need to be Nvidia: just some buggy or corrupt code causing a conflict.

Dec 19, 2023
The key is to discover what the affected machines are doing or trying to do when things take so long.

You can use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free)

Test/try with all three tools but only one tool at a time. You will need to leave the tool window open during the test.

Open the tool window, do nothing else but simply watch. Once the system stable then be ready to launch the install.

Look for what happens or otherwise changes. Watch the graphical presentations.

Likely there will be some time and effort involved along wth some "do overs" to smooth out the process.

Process Explorer may prove helpful. Especially because the data can be sorted and any process or service demanding resource time may stand out.

Does not necessarily need to be Nvidia: just some buggy or corrupt code causing a conflict.
Okay thank you again. :)