Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

6gb for 980 ti unless their's a specific model you're referring too. But will gddr5x outperform hbm v2? Their has to be a limit to speed over quantity at some point?

According to the link below, GDDR5X is almost equal in speed to the HBM v1. Rumored GDDR5X = 448 GB/s while HBM v1 = 512GB/s.

However, HBM v2 will be way faster than v1 so HBM will still remain king over GDDR5X.

http://wccftech.com/micron-gddr5x-memory-analysis-nvidia-pascal-graphic-card/

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

it's believed to be a 1070 and 1080 release on friday with possible info on the whole line-up. but last time the released the titan and then the 980ti son after without really bringing up the 980 ti until it hit.

but it's believed to be a 1070 and 1080 that will be first with an early june for hitting the street

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
GDDR5X is fine with me for now, I (and others) are of the opinion that at this point and time HBM2 isn't really going to be needed until about Q4 2017 at the EARLIEST, the only reason I would have wanted HBM2 right out of the gate is it allows for smaller cards since the memory is stacked.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is on the P100 super card so they have it. i'd not expect to see it anywhere but the new titan card if they chose to use it at all. at least this time around. cost is still pretty high for the stuff and yields are pretty low from what i have read.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
I also have it on good authority that after everything is said and done, that as long as the bit interface is big enough (512 bit bus width) GDDR5X is 30% faster than HBMv1. However I got that data from somebody in the comments section on another site so that could also be baloney, the math looked sound when I went over it though.

I appreciate the credible updates and moderation to keep out the AMD vs Nvidia fanboy shouting match. I'm very excited for the next gen!

I'm curious how these cards will be priced and where the 1070 will fit in comparable performance to the 900 series. I'm guessing just shy of 980ti with very low wattage requirements. I'm sure we'll have a better idea this Friday!

velzelvul

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

More like 980's and then some - at least on reference gpu's - looks like AMD's stuck. Unless AMD really improves power consumption and temperatures of their gpu's they're in serious trouble and we'll be facing nvidia's monopoly in a few years. Really hope it doesn't happen.

Michael Trenton

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Thanks! I'm really stoked to see the specs of the 1080! :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

it can be hard but i'm gonna try hard to keep the fanboy's away from this type of thread :) some honest amd v nvidia discussion is welcome but flame wars and blatant favoritism is not welcome here.

not enough information yet for a similar AMD 400 series thread but as more leaks or amd pr information is released we'll work on a similar thread for those new cards as well. just does not seem to be much to start with at this time. it takes time and a lot of people don't have the time to spend on such a massive thread as this will become over time. the mods are busy enough keeping the forum running so it falls to some other power users to volunteer the time.

i did read that apple has chosen the new amd cards for the new imacs for this year so that tells me there should be some cards hitting the market soon enough for them to include in this years models. but so far we're all focused on this weeks nvidia announcement and i'm waiting rather impatiently as are most of us :D

Yeah AMD vs. NVidia flame wars are a thing we try to avoid at all costs on this thread. So just be careful when discussing AMD while on here. :)

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

Agreed, I hate having to disable SLI so that I can play Titanfall without artifacts and glare.

Regarding multi gpu gpu maker probably need to create a new one that can fit newer redering technique better? but in the end multi gpu is gpu maker interest (to sell more gpu) and not so much for developer. The feagure is pc exclusive and multi gpu often have problem that did not happeb in single gpu setup. Look at DX12 games. Oxide probably the only one have interest in tinkering with multi gpu.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
with dx 12, more of the responsibility falls to the developer to work with sli/xfire. in the past it was up to amd and nvidia to work out driver profiles for specific games. putting this into the hands of the developer should make it easier for more games to include the support but it will also let us see exactly who is too lazy to implement it into their games. they won't be able to pint the finger at nvidia and amd as much now. they'll have to stand behind their choice to not spend time on it or to spend the time to get it right.

i like it better this way.

as for actually building a dual graphics pc, it seems that if you don't do it new, then it's very likely you won't do it later. folks love to add the extra psu power and make sure they can handle the extra card "when/if" they decide to go there. in the end, most of the time there is something new available and these people find it easier to just get the new single card rather than an older card that costs the same and then have to fight through the issues we all know are there with running dual cards. many threads a day here asking that question "do i go with sli or just get a new _____?" often the answer is to go for the new single card. it's just easier that way.

putting this into the hands of the developer should make it easier for more games to include the support but it will also let us see exactly who is too lazy to implement it into their games.

instead if simply calling dev as lazy to me it is more about "why we need to bother with setup that only represent small subset of pc gamer?" multi gpu is pc exclusive feature and on top of that only small group of people who game on pc have such setup. most of the time dev don't even bother to give their pc version of game that can make use pc raw performance then why need to complicated themselves more with such 'niche' setup? think again why gpu accelerated physics are not used outside game sponsored by nvidia when actually there is alternative physic engine that capable of doing gpu acceleration using opencl. some might not agree with me but personally i just think that dev have no interest to support pc only feature unless they were sponsored to do so.

as for actually building a dual graphics pc, it seems that if you don't do it new, then it's very likely you won't do it later. folks love to add the extra psu power and make sure they can handle the extra card "when/if" they decide to go there. in the end, most of the time there is something new available and these people find it easier to just get the new single card rather than an older card that costs the same and then have to fight through the issues we all know are there with running dual cards. many threads a day here asking that question "do i go with sli or just get a new _____?" often the answer is to go for the new single card. it's just easier that way

100% agree with this point.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
in many years of building pc's i have only ever built 1 system with dual cards. it's just too much of a hassle for many to deal with. most spend the extra dollars on a better single card than trying to get 2 cheap cards to do the same thing. it is def a niche group but still a group that developers should not totally ignore now that it is up to them. give it a year and it'll be pretty easy to enable some standard sli/xfire support once they figure out how it all works. it'll be there.

also note, the initial post has been updated to include a couple juicy tidbits that came out today. :)

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016
Just a quick question here, does 970 sli make sense? I already have one 970 and the motherboard and PSU capabilities to run another, but most people make sli sound very unreliable and not worth it. Thoughts?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you are comfortable with troubleshooting the set-up and keeping up with beta drivers, then it is not as bad to deal with. that and the fact that not every game is going to be sli capable. for an average user who is not comfortable troubleshooting and such, it is not worth it. but if you like to tweak and toy with the system, then it is worth the time. the question is, is it worth the money for a second 970? we'll know a bit more in the coming weeks as the new cards are priced and benchmarked.

970 sli brings a decent performance boost but will it compete with the new single cards? might get the same increase with a new card for similar price or a bit more. that part is up to you. as i noted a few posts ago, often the answer is the new single card is better for the average user than the tricky sli set-up. there have been times that reviewers here and other places could not even get it working enough to benchmark it. if these experts struggle at times, how will us mortals fair? :)

I've been running SLi'd 970's for over a year now and have had no need to bother with beta drivers, the only issue I have had is a fan bearing failing.