Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 139 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mr91

Distinguished
All the reasons mentioned are valid... I'm glad I got my second 1080 ti for my HTPC/VIVE system at regular price...

@ this point even the Titan V's are sold out lol $3000

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I am glad I grabbed a 1080 Ti myself. It would have been game over otherwise because I went to 1440p. My GTX 980 wasn't powerful enough, for max settings anyway.

mr91

Distinguished

1080 ti is the sweet spot!

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
With the latest drivers 390.65 it seems that the "Output dynamic range" is set to Limited every time the system reboots, on W7, even if i have set it to Full on both my two monitors. Is there any trick to have it permanent on Full and never have to change it on every boot? Thank you.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Yeah, I only bought my 1080 Ti on 19th Nov 2017.

In a way I was thinking that if I'd bought it when 1080 Ti was released, I'd have had longer to use it. Meaning before I need to upgrade again. However right now I am just glad I bought it.

About a month before I bought it, I read something saying that NVidia cards were being snapped up for mining. I panicked and started looking at getting a card. However I relaxed because they said GDDR5X was not usable by mining software. ... Then very soon after I bought a 1440p monitor and realised I absolutely needed a 1080 Ti. (A 1080 might have done it, but I opted for the extra RAM as much as anything.)

Total relief now, that I bought it. I think there is a possibility that cryptocurrency might start to drop off. Only yesterday I read that mortgage lenders are refusing to sell homes to people that made money by cryptocurrency. It's about the fact that cryptocurrency is used by launderers of illicit earnings. I think legally mortgage lenders are not allowed to accept fraudulent acquired money. I guess they just think any profit from cryptocurrency is tainted then.

I think eventually governments will stop any use of cryptocurrency, and that will be good. Right now though I guess is a good time to sell off graphics cards. I have a GTX 650 Ti Boost, and a GTX 980. I'd rather not sell either though. My 980 is back up in case my 1080 Ti goes down. It will also be used when I build a second PC. which I see myself building soon. My current PC is fine but it struggles a bit with e.g Rise of the Tomb Raider. I think it's the RAM that is slow.

1080 Ti is one hell of a card though.

mr91

Distinguished

Great Card! Something like the Witcher 3 will not even give me a solid 60 fps at 4k with a 4790k that is in my htpc.
I think with the 8700k I might be able to get a solid 60 fps at 4k....

mr91

Distinguished

Setting to use Nvidia settings will change that however i'm not sure if that makes much of a difference.
Works on my XBR55A1E.

mr91

Distinguished

mr91

Distinguished

looking on ebay my 980ti is consistently selling for between $340-400. but i cannot for the life of me find any decently priced 1080ti. ideally an asus strix would be my choice but the evga icx would work fine and be my next choice. the way these prices are going, not to mention stock, i must hold out hope for something volta/ampere that offers similar performance but comes in at a reasonable price.

Yeah Doom should be the example to all developers about game optimization and a perfect flagship for low level APIs. Combined, the amount of extra performance you can get is astonishing.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Excuse me, but what do you mean exactly? Set what where to use nVidia settings? I want permanent Full output dynamic range on RGB under the Change Resolution tab on nVidia control Panel, but in every restart the driver set this back to Limited.
See photo
Output Dynamic Range

mr91

Distinguished

I suggest you download the latest drivers and use and select Nvidia settings. seems like you have old drivers because i have more options then you in the control panel....

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Like I said in the beginning, I do have the latest drivers, currently 390.65.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

My friend, you are using W10 and like I also said in the beginning I am using W7. Hence your settings and mine are different. Thank you anyway.

So the problem remains. Since 390.65 The RGB Dynamic Output Range resets to "Limited" in every reboot even if the user sets it on "Full". Any suggestions please?

mr91

Distinguished

Okay I thought you were using the W7 LG OLED... I don’t have Win 7, you might need to upgrade

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

Source? I officially know that MS will support W7 until 2020 and nVidia still makes drivers as always.

Also do you have other ideas regarding my problem with Dynamic Output Range settings?