Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 140 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mr91

Distinguished
The Windows 7 & 10 Nvidia driver are different and the focus is on the Win 10 driver...
There is a chance only the Win 10 driver will be updated.

My dynamic range is set to full...

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

You are amusingly wrong beyond imagination. Thank you.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Whats so wrong about it?

The windows 7 and windows 10 drivers are different.

Windows 7 support will be dropped at some point, just like windows xp support was dropped.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

You are missing a point here. We are talking about a specific problem that will be fixed with the NEXT driver update. Scroll up and read previous posts by me and you will understand. His reply was "......There is a chance only the Win 10 driver will be updated..." Go figure. I laughed very loud reading it. There is no indication that the next nVidia driver update will exclude Windows 7. After all the problem appears in Windows 7 and the official reply on reddit by NVIDIA Forums Representative gave the information.

So mr91 doubts what the gpu provider replied.

D

Deleted member 217926

This is the wrong place to post driver related issues. It is certainly the wrong place to berate those trying to help you. Please make another thread for specific problems and keep it civil.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Oh man I am thinking it's game over.

Yesterday I noticed a new listing on Amazon UK of MSI 1080 Ti on back order. Today all gone. Same thing with some Asus Strix 1080 Ti last week.

Is it me or is gaming over now?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its just you. They will return to stock. The demand for gpus for mining wont continue forever.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If it stays profitable long term, then purpose built hardware will be made to do the mining. Happened to bitcoin with ASIC miners. I suspect government regulation will step in in the near future as well.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I saw that Nvidia are going to be selling direct from their website, at up to two cards per customer.

Here's hoping that all retailers will try do something. However many people will just buy the GPUs and then sell them for profit.

yep. this is another problem. the most effective way probably still kill mining performance on the hardware level....or starting with next gen GPU nvidia can cripple mining performance (with driver) on purpose from the very start. that way user can't get around using older driver trick to get excellent mining performance back :p

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I just can't believe the prices. Got my 1080ti about six months ago, overpaid the day it came out, figured I was getting in late on 1080ti's. Can't believe it. My ram is more than double the price it was over a year ago. I'm not used to prices going UP after I purchase it. What does this mess do to schedules for ram and gpu's? Are products being pushed back? Do we know the schedule for what is coming out after the 1080ti and when? I feel like as soon as you buy your gpu, there's already at least one generation on the horizon.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I also feel a bit sore that I bought my 1080 Ti at the end of last year. However given the current GPU price climate, it was one of the luckiest things that I did. Super grateful that I have it too. I love it. (I also felt emotionally quite sad taking my GTX 980 out of my PC.) I had to buy a new GPU though because the monitor I bought was 1440p, and the 980 struggled.

It does however mean that it makes sense to buy a GPU when the card you want is released. Rather than wait, because the longer you wait, the more powerful GPU in the range, you need. If like me you buy the 1080 Ti a year after its release. It means I struggled with the GTX 980 when I should have thought ahead and bought the 1080 Ti. (Also meaning my 1080 Ti will have less use, than if I'd bought it on release. As it will become redundant in time, after less use, than if I'd bought on release.)

I know finances make a difference as some folk have money at some point and not others. I just think now, that the best time to buy a GPU is soon after release. That being once we all know the GPU has no issues, like the GTX 970 had. Or that horrific drivers and GPU causing PCs to freeze at desktop, (about five years ago).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've been stuck on the 80 cycle for a while and I just can't wait for the Ti cards to come out. GTX280, GTX580, GTX980 (SLI), GTX1080, I was planning to hold out on the GTX980s until the 1080Ti came out, but then SLI support started dropping off. Glad I got the 1080 on the release day though. First time I've ever had a GPU appreciate. Given the current climate, I might be keeping that for a long while.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I think we might all be keeping our cads for along time. I can't imagine cryptocurrency mining going away. It might, but it will take time. The issue is that there are billions to be made with it, and for that alone people will not stop.

I think the only solution is use one of the 'in - stock' websites. Then grab a GPU at higher than RRP (or MSRP).

Amazon is useless now, as they rarely even list GPUs on pre-order. They are all gone within 24-hours on pre-order anyway. ... Nvidia are setting up selling direct from their website, but then I would not want a blower style GPU anyway. Not unless I could mod some better cooling for it. It's really a shame that Nvidia do not invest in some proper cooling for their cards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Pretty much what water cooling is for. Though that is an industry that is probably going to have a lot of vendors close their doors. I can't imagine they are selling well with no gamers able to get cards.

Isn't that pretty much expected? GTC is not a gaming event. Nvidia never did launch brand new gaming architecture at that even. GTC 2016 nvidia only launch GP100 which is heavily compute oriented. Gaming pascal (GTX1080/1070) launch in may 2016 at it's own event. GDC might be a gaming event but nvidia will still nit going to use that event as a mean to launch new architecture. We might see new card from existing architecture being launch but not their brand new architecture. To nvidia launching a new architecture is so important and big they dedicate seperate gaming event for it instead of let it slip into another event.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

If this is the case then what is this? NVIDIA will indeed be launching a new GeForce GTX series at GTC 2018

I am all confused now.:sarcastic:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the hard part is when one site says something and then 20 more quote it. then someone comes along with "well 20+ sites are all reporting it so it must be true"

hard to tell the difference between that and when 20 sites independently verify something through their own sources and report one by one. it can be fun to chase the rumors but in the end we don't truly know anything until it's officially released.

there will be no initiatives to get a new card if it is not faster than previous gen. it will be faster than stock 1080ti even if it's a mere 10% faster. another interesting factor will be it's price. if they can make it just a bit faster than even by 10% but only cost around how GTX1080 going to cost then that will attract a lot of people to get it. especially those that have GTX1080 or Vega 64.

mr91

Distinguished
I saw Jesen Haung live @ the Vancouver Convention Centre. He is a great presenter...

I think it's possible the next Gaming GPU will be a Ray Tracing card. Step closer to photo realism in Gaming.

If developers adopt ray tracing into their latest games it will be amazing!

Ray tracing is going to change the industry, Jesen Haung said this is the biggest news since Cuda.

Nvlink is out Memory sharing and more efficient use of multiple cards is coming.

TRENDING THREADS