Question NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU 100%; 5-15 FPS in game on all games

Mar 2, 2019
Please help me!

I have a 2 year old HP Omen 17inch 1080 resolution screen with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, i7-6700HQ Processor, 8GB Memory, Windows 10 home. I have DirectX12. Everything runs smoothly, all except my frame rates per second in games.

Everytime I load a game - Assassin's Creed; Hitman; Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - my GPU skyrockets to 100% and my FPS plumits to a consistent 5-15, although the GPU memory utlisations seem fairly normal. I have never seen the FPS go above 70 and it runs between 30fps and 55fps in menu screens. It doesn't matter if I'm using ultra settings or low settings, the GPU and FPS are the same. Out of game my cpu is sub 10% utlised, memory sub 30% and GPU 1-5% utlised.

Having read several blogs, I have disabled windows gaming apps, cleaned and redownloaded my NVIDIA Drivers, rebooted Windows, run multiple antivirus and malware scans in and out of safemode, updated my BIOS and cleaned and defraged my hard drivers. I have tried playing in windowed mode, offline, plugged and un plugged. Nothing has made a difference. I have now come to the limits of my knowledge, wallet and have nowhere else to turn.

Could really use an expert to help me establish whether i have a hardware problem or not. I have downloaded MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z and am on hand with stats should a willing mind need further information.

Many thanks for reading.

GPUBlues

TardisRepair

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Not an expert, but I will help.

A last resort is to try and reinstall windows. But, have you reinstalled things like microsoft directx and such? What about reinstalling games, and or the platform like steam.
Have you checked to see if the radiator is clear, and not stuff with pet hair for example? Depending on if you have any kind of warranty still, try returning it and getting a new one.
Has this happened the entire time you owned it, did you just buy it, or have you only just started trying to use it?