Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Card Roundup (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I meant a proper Gigabyte one, not a mini one. The Gigabyte with 3 fans is so much better in performance.

Bsquared

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Could we get a roundup of more than 4 cards and omit the Founders Edition card (we all know it's the weakest of the category) and the Palit card (at over $100 more than the MSI it produces only 0.2 to 0.5 more fps)? Such a roundup (as requested) would be much more meaningful to your USA readers.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

hotroderx downvoted my post for saying basically the same thing, LOL. True statement(s) though...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm actually glad it was included. I'm looking for a decent, second VR card (limited to ~150 W, on this one, or else I'd get another 980 Ti), and was thinking I'd pick up a 1070 FE on ebay, as people start upgrading to Vega, 1080 Ti, etc.

After reading the review on the FE card, I'm thinking it's probably better to avoid a card that runs so hot. I think it's also helpful in understanding why other cards are able to surpass it so easily.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Fake news" is much too harsh. They did a decent analysis, so it's certainly not clickbait.

We all agree that 4 is not enough, but I still say that having FE in there, as a basis for comparison, is both logical and something I appreciate.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
To do this, I must have at least a few RX480. I'm trying this since months, but I got at the end nothing yet.
I will never agree to pay for samples with recommended awards... So I get less samples. :D
The second reason is the stupid sample rotation in Germany. It is mostly not allowed to disassemble a card because they have only a few samples for all media, especially for AMD cards. :(

For Vega I have other plans and made a deal with a shop. I hope to get more AMD cards by this way, also and especially for disassembling and this deal is very easy and clear: I have to check for the guys a handful of cards to select the best pieces and I will get at least one sample to butcher it for the review. The same selection game with CPUs. Sounds fair. :)

As I wrote above: this roundup will be completed and updated step by step. I have more 1070's here to test it and we will add new cards soon. But I have only one head, two hands and a limited amount of manpower :)

Anders235

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
A round up of a tiny sliver of cards? Come on Toms.

Where does EVGA fit in? If you couldn't get enough cards for a roundup, just re-title this a TH Reviews 4 random 1070s.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
FormatC...I wouldn't respond to these nitpickers about what constitutes a "roundup" You guys had 4 cards available at the time of writing said article and maybe you could have titled it something other than a "roundup" but there are people whom will complain at every little nuance. I stopped long ago giving them responses. Cuts down on negativity.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The background:
I made this in Germany as a BIG and ENDLESS roundup with now 13 cards in it! Endless means: I will add each new card to this roundup and it will be more and more, because the review is updated from time to time (in Germany since August 2016)

For the US site the guys splitted it into 1080 and 1070 to make it as two roundups and more clear (too much content for one review), but we had in the time of translation nine 1080 and only four 1070. This is the reason why they started in US with only four cards. But this month I can deliver two more 1070's and I'm sure, that the translator will be faster. After this we have six cards in this roundup and after two months eight. Due the long and in-depth testing of each card I need a lot of time for this tests and I also need samples to disassemble it. Asus is on the way, so don't worry :)

I will remember this nitpickers later what they wrote, if the roundup is a little bit matured ;) But we decided to bring not each card as a single review, because such an (continously updated) overview is more worth than a bunch of single reviews.

And about the word "roundup":
I never read any negative response on reviews with up to four PC cases, PSUs or other stuff, also called roundup. I have no idea what the people are waiting for. This site is free for all, they have nothing to pay but all time of the world to consume our output (and to write their complaints in our forum). I see such things as what they are :D

_TheD0ct0r_

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

true.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
For all guys with problems to read my last post:
The Gigabyte G1 Gaming is also waiting in the pipeline. But at the end I can't split me to do all things at the same time :)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for your testing, and for letting us know what to expect.

I agree with Redman - don't worry about the complaints. If the worst they have to say about your work is that they want more of it, then that's really not such a bad complaint!

Status
Not open for further replies.