Nvidia GeForce GTX 465 1 GB Review: Zotac Puts Fermi On A Diet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]NVIDIA needs to put it's ENTIRE graphics card lineup on a liquidity diet... their entire product line is TOO EXPENSIVE! Expect the company (NVIDIA) to go out of business if the prices are kept 50% above ATI for the next 3 years.[/citation]

Which is why I was happy to see ATi first to this generation of cards, nVidia always opens up with big ticket prices when it enters a new generation, if ATi's cards weren't sitting on the shelves right now you can bet nVidia's lineup would be $100 higher than it is right now. I can't recall nVidia ever releasing the top end of their line under $600, they did it this generation though...

jkflyer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I've been waiting to buy two GTX 460s to setup surround gaming using 3 monitors. But, the price/performance for this card is just crap. Besides, the Nvidia driver for surround gaming will be ready by end of June supposedly.

It looks like I'll be going with ATI's Eyefinity even if it means getting an expensive displayport-DVI adapter.

As an nVidia fan (I have SLI GTX 260's) let me just say officially:

GTX 465 = Epic Fail

The performance and price make this a stupid choice in my opinion. Considering the ATI 5830 is $60-$80 cheaper, and either beats it or matches it performance wise in most of the benchmarks. Plus the ATI 5850 is only slightly more expensive, and owns the GTX 465.

nVidia either needs to drastically reduce their price, or go back to the drawing board.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This card is not going to help bring card prices down unless they price it competitively. ~$180 is about what I think its performance justifies and might urge AMD to cut costs a little too. At $280 this thing is a total rip off.

Good write-up Chris.

CaptainBib

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Nvidia doesn't care about how well this card sells, really.

It is just an attempt to utilize some of the defective GPUs that the 40nm process is still cranking out; it is essentially "Free" for Nvidia to produce. If a chip comes out perfectly, it's a 480, slightly damaged, 470, crippled and it's a 465.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]spidey180[/nom]overpriced WTH?? cant nvidia come up with a decent pricing scheme???[/citation]

they answered this question when saying that Nvidia disables parts of its pricey GPU instead of manufacturing a cheaper GPU so, the productions costs won't be greatly reduced and consequently, the MSRP remains higher than AMD.AMD is generally much more logical with its prices (except with the price of the 5970)

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]NVIDIA needs to put it's ENTIRE graphics card lineup on a liquidity diet... their entire product line is TOO EXPENSIVE! Expect the company (NVIDIA) to go out of business if the prices are kept 50% above ATI for the next 3 years.[/citation]
[citation][nom]shubham1401[/nom]One word.... OverPriced!![/citation]
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]If this keeps up, Nvidia would be dead in no time[/citation]

aha but you're forgetting the value adds that come with these cards CUDA (AMD has stream but not as large app support),PhysX, 3D vision,-----.This makes Nvidia's case seem a little more solid.please note that I love AMD more than Nvidia but I'm just being impartial here

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
"GF100 is a 512-shader GPU, and the GeForce GTX 465 employs a version with 160 of those shaders turned off. We’re getting close to the point where we would have hoped to see a derivative GPU rather than a 3 billion transistor monster pared back, yet still expensive for Nvidia to manufacture. Perhaps that’s the impetus behind the $279 price tag.

Regardless, though, if you belong to the group of enthusiasts who was spoiled by $200 Radeon HD 4890s and still remembers when GeForce GTX 260s sat around $150, the GeForce GTX 465 is an expensive piece of hardware, relatively. Until DirectX 11 becomes a must-have feature for you, the best of last generation is still very much viable for gaming versus today’s derivative models."

couldn't have put it any better myself.Those last lines reallly strike the core of the delimma.But if you're building a brand new system,there's no reason to exclude one of these cards from the available options

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Nah-ah I'm certainly NOT going to pick non of those cards not from Nvidia nor ATI, my 4870 stills kicks.
Plus this new cards are too expensive of what they worth.
Hum, as I see it this card is a desperate act to grab some of the ATI's market with a low-er card, but UNLESS you are really dumb and you don't read and inform yourself before spending almost 300us. This card is a waste of cash/time. Hey don't be a fanboy! It's bad for you! Pick the one who gives the best for your pocket! Your pocket is not same as mine, maybe Nvidia goes right with yours, or maybe ATI does.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I would also like to have seen how this card compares to a HD5770. I think it would not be much faster than that card, which has even lower price and power usage.

However, the marketplace should adjust the price on this card, and evenutally it might find a spot, kind of like the 5830 which was ovepriced initially but is coming down in price now.

I dont think nVidia is in danger of going out of business at all. They probably make big profits on their Quadro cards and they also have the ion platform. Financially they are still better off than AMD.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i thought the 5830 was bad when that launched but this is amazingly bad.
still uses more power than a 5850 and it gets hotter than a 5870
each release is bad PR for them

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
this is really kinda disappointing for nvidia. When the 5830 came out i thought wow this cost so much more then a 4890 and offers no more performance. Now looking at it again the 465 makes this look good.

Seriously it loses to the 5830 in several benches and cost 50 bucks more. if i'm paying $50 more i want to see it beating it in 9 out of 10 benches not 4 out of 10

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Confusing card. A lot of money for so-so performance against older cards. I think Nvidia is doing what they can but you're not just buying big chunk of silicon you're paying for all the people tweaking game codes to Nvidia's advantage, TWIMTBP BS. I don't think their topology is superior but it can look that way if the coding is optimized for it. So what happened here?

I think AMD had a surprisingly well thought out 5XXX series launch and Nvidia wasn't paying attention. If AMD launches its next series before Nvidia get new, not recycled, lower level cards Nvidia could have big trouble on their hands. Most people can't afford the high end cards and AMD has that market well covered.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I am excited to see my 5830 that I paid 200$ for beat that new nvidia card. What will happen to nvidia if they keep getting owned by ati?

This card is generally beaten by the crippled 5830. Nope, doesn't look too good at all. I suppose it's an affordable option for nVidia fan boys who want DX11 now, but unless it drops in price alot I can't see too many people buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.