• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

    Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

    Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti Review: GF114 Rises, GF100 Rides Off

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plum

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
58
0
18,630
0
Just saw this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,2845-14.html

The Gigabyte SOC 560 is pretty cute and all but from what I've seen in most reviews, roughly every other 560 can reach 1000 mhz too. Hell, on Overclockersclub they OC'd a reference card to 1014 mhz.

So, there are a few things to be answered first. How much overvolted is the Gigabyte SOC? 1000 mhz isn't impressive if they already cranked the voltage slider all the way up as stock setting.

I mean it's not bad either, it's a sweet guaranteed OC but when things like these get brought up, please at least mention default VID for the card so we can have an idea. A superclocked card is cool, but us enthusiasts gotta know if we have any headroom left after that to confirm a buy.
 

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
67
0
18,630
0
@ "Either way, my conclusion on the GTX 560 Ti doesn't change. It still doesn't present me with the overwhelming urge to upgrade. AMD's cards simply look better in comparison, based on their performance."

Super failure lol
 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111
It's a bit odd including a stock 460 given they pretty much don't exist anymore
(most sellers either don't have them now, or an oc'd version is cheaper). Just
for reference, my EVGA FTW scores 17.15, 17.87, 23.12 and 11.44 for the four
3DMark11 game tests at Performance preset - this leaves the stock 460 utterly
in the dust, beats the 470 in some cases and comes close to the 560 Ti in
others. See: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/64267

A Palit Platinum with a mild oc would do the same. The Platinum is ~165 UKP here
(EVGA 460 SSC is ~170), while the cheapest 560 Ti is ~203. IMO the speed increase
with the 560 Ti isn't worth the extra cost. And it looks like if I oc'd my FTW
just a little, it could beat the 560.

Ian.

 

thecripp

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
9
0
18,510
0
Is it just me or did people stop thumbing things? I used to see 20's all the time, but now its rare to see 1 thumb up.
 

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
1,878
9
19,795
4
[citation][nom]mapesdhs[/nom]It's a bit odd including a stock 460 given they pretty much don't exist anymore(most sellers either don't have them now, or an oc'd version is cheaper). Justfor reference, my EVGA FTW scores 17.15, 17.87, 23.12 and 11.44 for the four3DMark11 game tests at Performance preset - this leaves the stock 460 utterlyin the dust, beats the 470 in some cases and comes close to the 560 Ti inothers. See: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/64267A Palit Platinum with a mild oc would do the same. The Platinum is ~165 UKP here(EVGA 460 SSC is ~170), while the cheapest 560 Ti is ~203. IMO the speed increasewith the 560 Ti isn't worth the extra cost. And it looks like if I oc'd my FTWjust a little, it could beat the 560.Ian.[/citation]

Oh, I have overclocked cards for every single one of these products--but do we really want to open up *that* can of worms? Better to stick with the reference designs that each of these two companies sanctions right off the bat. My .02 :)

Chris

 

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
2,344
0
19,960
50
I’d be pretty ticked to see a 3DMark11 score from Tom’s Hardware on the box of any graphics card, used as a marketing point. It simply cannot be digested at face value.
chuckle.... better tell it to the guys at microcenter then. i had this discussion when SC2 came out and they directly quoted laminated charts they had from Toms but that chart only had the crippled GTX460 768MB memory which was restricted to the 192 bit bus and he was comparing it to the GT450 trying to tell me the gtx 450 was just as good but only slightly slower while trying to make up for the fact they did not have a single GTX460 1GB 256bit model in stock and it did not matter in the newest games,specifically SC2, and left out the FarCry2 review page with only the review pages that helped push the sales of the crippled GTX460 and GT450. got to the point we were almost shouting and my friend was giving me a weird look until i told him i'm not afraid to call out liars on something i know for a fact sales people lie and try to manipulate others with. that arguement cost him 2 customers when i pulled up the full review and clicked to the page with one of their own display machines nearby hooked up to a 42" screen and pointed out the specific paragraphs proving him dead wrong and over 2 dozen people watching.
different subject, but you better expect this from the retailers who push these products to omit and display only that which helps their sales using YOUR charts. i went in there knowing specifically what i wanted to buy and my friend was going to buy the same card as well so technically it cost them 4 customers that day. all of us ended up going to another local shop in minneapolis as i walked in while the 2 previous customers were walking out with the 1GB GTX 460's me and my friend were about to purchase there.
good article Chris and thanks, hopefully i don't have to brow beat that salesman again with this one too when i go in there for a pair of these.
 

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
51
0
18,630
0
"If you’re good with Google, you can even find a couple of GeForce4 Ti 4200 reviews I wrote back in 2002. Great, now I feel really old."

Haha, no need.. I was reading it back then! After reading about the 3 different Ti cards here at Toms's, I went middle of the road and picked up the Ti4400 at Best Buy. I remember wanting to read up on it as it was a big deal being my first "enthusiast" gaming video card. =D So as far as the new (old) naming scheme goes I vote 'yes' because it brings back fond memories... even though I've been buying ATi cards since the 9700 Pro. Thanks for the write up!
 

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
706
0
18,990
2
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Hmm, it appears as if we have an AMD fan boy here. I think the Ti will be my choice.[/citation]
This just makes me laugh. Picking a card simply because one thinks someone else is a fanboy. As if that doesnt come off fanboyish in return.
 

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
536
0
19,010
14
you nubs... this card has been benchmarked at overclock3D and won awards for performance this baby can OC to same as a GTX 570 and is quieter then the ATI cards by LOADS it all so out perform HD6950 and it has Phyix also u ATI noob fan boys need realize ATI is not the world and btw in top end NVIDIA is winning in sales and performance only card ATI has is a Duel GPU and its expensive and no one in there right mind needs to buy that plus has not got phyx its been decided by a lot people ATI has lost the battle in the end even with there super duel GPU card when comes to it Nvidia has the sweet spot and rapes all over ATI cards but 1 and that 1 has only 10% more performance then GTX580 so what if you OC GTX580 omg :O!!!!! overall better card plus Nivida allways have better drivers
 

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
99
0
18,630
0
this article shows why in the near future I won't buy Nvidia cards:They win only in sponsored benchmarks.And please include a price/performance chart.Not everyone rides Maserati or Ferrari(from the power consumption point of view).Have a nice day and please don't go the fanboy way Anand took about Intel, Apple and now Nvidia
 

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
209
0
18,710
11
-- No offense nor flaming and not being biased and just being practical.

The GTX 560 TI is a very nice fast video card that offers good performance and good overcloking potential, though in its highest overclocked settings still it cant match the mighty GTX 570. On its stock settings its a bit slower than radeon 6950 2gb though faster in some tests.

But for the very undeniable fact and also why many are slamming the
GTX 560 and choosing 6950 2gb its because the Radeon 6950 2gb can be easily modded to make it performed exactly the same as a 6970 2gb version and a 6970 2gb card performs the same (not so exactly) as the GTX 570 and faster in some tests performed on different mod sites, and what makes the 6950 2gb edition very very attractive and appealing to many gamers now? Its because, once modded you can have the performance of a 6970 2gb version with no extra cost of whatsoever and with a re-flashed 6950 to 6970, its even harder to match even by an overclocked GTX560 card because the modded 6950 2gb version has an unlocked shaders with bumped up clock speeds in addition.

I know modding is not the issue here but it concerns money and getting the most out if it in anyway possible and this is another reason why we are all debating this new nvidia card over 6950. As far as gtx 560 and 6950 2gb price / performance is concerned, the 6950 2gb has a greater advantage with its modding potential and performance, yes, you will surely get more than what you paid for as far as performance and money is concerned.

If you would ask me would i buy 6950 2gb card over the GTX 560 TI? My answer is Yes but not being biased for AMD. because based on what i've seen on different benchies on different modding sites. A modded 6950 truly performs the same as the 6970 and can compete with the GTX570's performance. Talking about money and getting more out of it? This is it.
 

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
209
0
18,710
11
[citation][nom]mosu[/nom]this article shows why in the near future I won't buy Nvidia cards:They win only in sponsored benchmarks.And please include a price/performance chart.Not everyone rides Maserati or Ferrari(from the power consumption point of view).Have a nice day and please don't go the fanboy way Anand took about Intel, Apple and now Nvidia[/citation]

I somehow agree, thats why i compared benchies carefully performed by different mod sites and look for test inconsistencies which, based on my comparison the 6950 2gb truly stands out and Its potential and ability to
mod its bios to make it and perform like a true 6970 2gb version is very compelling. That is why many gamers ive seen posting on other pc modding and gaming forums loves the Radeon 6950 2gb video card.
 

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
1,878
9
19,795
4
That story makes me sad, f-14. I'm not certain what can be done about situations where unscrupulous sales people bend raw data for their own purposes. It's a lot easier to catch something showing up on a box, though.

Funny story--one of the products in our 2010 Holiday Gift Guide showed up to the office, and its box had a Tom's Hardware Recommended Buy award that it never actually won. Better yet, the award logo was Photoshopped with 'Excellence' written above it. Believe I was more than just a little pissed off about that ;-)
 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111
cangelini writes:
> Oh, I have overclocked cards for every single one of these products--but do we
> really want to open up *that* can of worms? ...

Yes, we do, but atm the info you're presenting for cards like the 460 is NOT at
all useful for helping one make a purchasing decision. The graphs make the 460
look pretty poor, but the reality is that massively faster versions which are
more like the 470 are now the norm.

Surely this should all be about helping one make the best purchasing decision?
If people are going to moan, tough cookies, that's their own bias they have to
live with, but you guys should be doing what you think is *right*, now cowing
down to the lowest common denominator to avoid the moans of a vocal minority.


> ... Better to stick with the reference designs that each of these two companies
> sanctions right off the bat.

That's fine for an initial launch, but we're now months past that point for the
460. Stock 460s are just not an issue. Nobody in their right mind would ever
buy one. Like I say, look at my own results, they clearly show any real 460 one
might consider is a heck of a lot better than a stock card.

Ian.

 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111
cangelini writes:
> ... Believe I was more than just a little pissed off about that ;-)

Do you have any kind of legal redress when a company does something like that?

I remember some time after Ultimate Doom came out, Replay used my quote from USA
Today in its advertising, but they didn't ask my permission first (worse, they
attributed the line to the paper instead of me, which kinda sucks). Not worth
doing anything about such incidents though I suppose, even if one could, yes?
ie. the costs involved, etc.


Rock_n_Rolla writes:
> ... once modded you can have the performance of a 6970 2gb version with no
> extra cost of whatsoever ...

But surely there is a cost? It voids the manufacturer warranty, yes? An important
point to remember. Not everyone wants to mess around with the product they've
bought to that extent. Great if it works, but if something goes wrong, ouch...

Your point about performance is fine, but always wise to bare in mind the potential
consequences of doing such a thing, and I doubt a site reviewer would reeeally want
to recommend a different card on the basis of one doing a mod that voids the warranty
(correct me if I'm wrong, Chris).


Btw Chris, if you are able by any chance to test the 560 (or any of your cards) with
Ungine Heaven/Sanctuary/Tropics, Stalker COP, Call of Juarez or X3TC (downloadable
benchmarks in all cases) with the settings I've been using, please feel free to let
me know the results and I'll add the info to my pages:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgi.html#PC

Only if you have the time or are curious as to what the results might be of course.
Or feel free to send me anything, I'll test and send it back. I want to expand the
pages as much as I can.

Ian.

 

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
2,360
0
19,790
4
I would rather have the frame buffer to be honest. In games that benefit from lower frame buffer, the 6950 already performs at a high enough fps. However, beyond that the higher frame buffer shows its benefit with higher post effects and resolution.
 

eddieroolz

Splendid
Moderator
I'm quite excited about this card. It represents the incremental evolutionary step needed in GF1xx. Makes it more attractive to people upgrading from GTX2xx and older too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS