Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti Not Coming Until Q3 '12?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
this is probably due to Nvidia pushing up the default clocks speeds of their 660 to beat AMD's 7800's at stock clocks. It's what they did with their 680's to claim the "performance crown" (at stock). Which would explain why at retail there's very few 680's and 660's not coming out until much later. I really would like to see some benchmarks with both cards running the same memory and GPU core clocks.

[citation][nom]nizxmo[/nom]MOTHER TRUCKER! I've been waiting for this card for ages! My stupid 5770 has been giving me headaches with its noise and heat issues.[/citation]Just get a 6870 when they go on sale again for $130. They put out almost exactly double the framerates of a 5770.

Thats OK my 560 TI will do fine on my gaming rig until the new Kiddie Consoles release in a couple more years.

I'm both a PC gamer and a PS3 gamer, as are many of my 30-something friends who are married with families. Please grow up yourself.

Moving along, this is very disappointing. I originally was hoping to get two mid-range Fernis. However, I knew it was a strong possibility and finally decided to pull the trigger and nab an EVGA 680 O/C+ after a half day on NewEgg tapping F5. It was WAY more than I wanted to spend on one card at $530, but having come from three year old SLI'd 275s purchased a couple months apart which combined was nearly $500, it was time to make an executive decision and modern up. That was the first time in 15 years of PC building I skipped more than one generation of GPUs, but the cooler temps and lower power consumption puts SLI 570s - my original plan - out to pasture.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I'm waiting for the folding@home/GPUGrid thingies to sort out their software to be able to run the new architectures so a delay is not too unwelcome. Buying a 670 and finding it's crippled at folding would be sad. I'll get whichever one is in my budget, considering power usage and ppd. Could be Nvidia, could be AMD. That's what makes all this exciting.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
The same thing has been happening since the days of the 5870. Nvidia waits for AMD to launch first and fine tunes their performance and pricing to beat AMD. AMD then answers with a dual-GPU card to retake the performance crown and Nvidia shells out its own dual-GPU solution to compete. That's just like Nvidia waited for Morphological AA to materialize and then came out with their own version of it, FXAA. Their recent "Power Target" feels like a rebranded version of AMD's Powertune technology. Also, They waited three years to enable multi-monitor gaming on a single card. They also released a driver that fried the GTX200 series.
At least They've taken the initiative once and introduced the GTX690 first. It's AMD's turn now.

bottom line is "I DON'T TRUST NVIDIA, Period."

Tbrown37

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
This is all simple business yes AMD is price gouging. BUT Nvidia costs more and they are saturating their market with the high end card so that the people who can fork over 400+ for a GPU like it's nothing are buying only Nvidia. Once they burn holes in those consumers pockets, they want to release their mid end series because despite AMD coming up with HD8000 soon all of Nvidias 6xx cards will have a 15-25$ performance boost compared to it's AMD counter part.

So it's about patience wait for AMD to finish gouging, Nvidia to stop saturating, when the benchmarks hit and even the GTX 660 will be close to performance to the 7950 for about 100$ less. If you yield even more patience and wait for AMD8000 series you'll get those 6xx series from nvidia for a decent price.

Regardles TO HELL WITH YOUR MARKETING TECHNIQUE GIVE ME MY DAMN GFX CARD PRICKS

Tbrown37

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-q1-2012-financial-quarter-revenue-profits,15606.html

You can see the Nvidia morons lost 55% profit over their last quarter for being d-bags and not releasing 6xx series fast enough but their excuse is

"The company told analysts on a conference call that margins and revenue are being hurt by a capacity shortage for its cutting edge 28 nanometer graphics chips. Rivals such as Qualcomm have also complained of shortages in this area.
"Supply is still constrained," a company executive told analysts, noting that Nvidia and its manufacturing partner TSMC had not planned for enough 28 nanometer capacity.
The company said it was missing out on "a lot" of sales because of the manufacturing capacity constraints but did not give specifics.
First-quarter revenue fell to $924.9 from $962 million a year earlier but was better than analyst expectations for $916 million.
First-quarter net income was $60.4 million, compared with $135.2 million in the year-earlier quarter, in line with expectations.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
My 560 Ti has 32 ROP's... Why, a year and a half later, would I want even fewer? I made the mistake of buying a 5830 (16 ROP's) a while ago, I won't buy another card with less than 32- especially in the latter half o 2012.

agevkired

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
ARGH Still awaiting this card to replace the 9800gt. Dammit Nvidia, mistake getting a 650i mobo being locked into Nvidia cards. It's like they're releasing every other 600 series card except this one.

G

Bull sh*t..Why did they leaking it out in advance? Eventually I bought the gtx670. But, it's so expensive~!!

GeForce6

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I guess they just want people to wait a while for the 660 Ti to arrive, but half way through realise they can then afford a 680, so they make more money.

GeForce6

Honorable
May 30, 2012
[citation][nom]jay2tall[/nom]Whelp... I guess this means the 700 series will be pretty far out. Which is fine with me. I can sit on this series for a while. Not sure what the surprise is here, it always takes them a while to fill in behind the top end cards. Although Q3 is kinda far away. I wouldn't have expected the 660 until mid summer.[/citation]
Or the 700 series come out a few months later...

If they're trying to get rid of the remaining 500 cards then they could at least sell them a bit cheaper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS