Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 4 GB: Dual GK104, Announced

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]PCgamer81[/nom]^ Except for the 5970 Black which is still the King of GPUs in my humble opinion.[/citation]

I meant reference 5970. I think that saying the regular name of a card such as just saying the GTX 580 or the Radeon 7970 or whatever instead of the Radeon 5970 Black Edition or the GTX 590 Mars implies the reference version is what is being referred to.

Also (yes, this is another argument in semantics, but I think that this one is more important) the 5970 Black is not a GPU. It's a video card, a graphics card, a video adapter, a graphics adapter, or whatever else, but not a GPU. Calling a graphics card a GPU is like calling a computer a CPU. Calling video cards "GPUs" just seems to bother me more than pretty much any other computer terminology mistake, so I point it out pretty much every time I can.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
It has two GPUs, but you know what I mean. It's just slang to refer to the entire block as a GPU, you don't really think we are that stupid, do you? It is also easier to write G P U.

I don't think you were stupid and realized what you meant. However, I think that we can both agree how that could cause confusion to readers of the comments who don't know the difference.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
If they don't know the difference between a "unit" or graphics chip(s) and an actual "card", then...

On second thought, I guess some people really are that stupid. Point taken.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
When the GTX 690 (and later the GTX 670) was announced I saw a few units for sale each day. Now I haven't seen any GTX 690 units for sale for over a week. Is that odd - or is this normal? Was there some problem that stopped manufacturing - like they dumped a bunch of partly damaged GPUs into the 670s and then stopped and tried to figure out why the chip yield was so low?

Sites that run out of stock need to wait for new shipments. It's not like that once a graphics card is finished being manufactured, it's immediately shipped out to a retail company. They get shipped en mass to reduce the cost of shipping and to give the manufacturers time to make sure that they can fill orders. Once the next shipments are out, there will be more stock and they will sell again until they go out of stock again. This will keep happening until manufacturers can keep a more consistent supply.

G

Sli 670's can be purchased for $400 each, and are coming up only a bit slower than the 690. The 670's sip power too.

My first dual gpu card was the GTX 295, and that thing worked awesome for three years. It finally died on me recently, and was still holding its own in modern games. I was running games on high settings most of the time. Still, I don't think you need to spend the extra $200 on the 690. Two 760's will give you years of ultra high performance gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.