Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Review: GK110, Fully Unlocked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
AMD wise, this is not the first time we have seen variation in chips. The 7870 xt I have does not OC as well as the one in Tom's review but I have seen others OC as well. Even Intel had a lot of variation in the OC of its recent chips that Toms looked beyond what they saw in their rig to get an idea what to expect.

We all just need to wait till 3rd party vendors come in with coolers and someone does a round up review to know.

As for the 780ti, it just costs too much compared to the 290x but is still a viable option given the questions that remain about the 290x.

And for final value, you have g-sync and then mantel to thinks about as well as streaming to a handheld.

Untill AMD answers more questions, 700 for the 780ti will work for some.

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
@Houldendub

You point has a little flaw in it and that is the fact that no aftermarket makers have gotten a hold of the 290 or the 290X, and when a better cooler was slapped on the 290 it got an extra 12-20% boost. Hold judgement until the real cards that everyone wants to buy are released, till then it is a press card with a better cooler vs a press card with a crap cooler.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Oc'd GTX 780 and custom cooled R9 290s are much better value. Heck, you can even crossfire R9 290s for $100 more. Also worth mentioning again, AMD's stupidity that they "nerfed" their own products by equipping stupid coolers on them.

coupe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I have a 290X but it seems as if the GTX 780 is a great deal with some overclocking thanks to the price cuts.

The GTX 780ti is priced a bit too high IMHO, but it is what it is.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

AMD did attach "something" on their cards, BUT it is definitely not a cooler IMO :) Looking at the Tom's review page where they installed Arctic Accelero cooler on R9 290, i am very positive that AMD's cards will have the magic with aftermarket coolers

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
The article its self is good how ever I have an issue with the way your testing some of the cards. 78 degrees is pretty hot why not 70 ? more reasonable temps. and exchange that R290x and if it still lacks in capability then you can really start bashing AMD. as for the 780 ti I don't really have any thoughts other than you should hold the same standards to the 780ti card.

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
700$ is a bit high compared to 290X or 290...400+75(Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III)=475$ or with 290X it's 550+75=625$.i think you would get a much lower temp and 10-20% boost in performance...don't get me wrong before 290X and 290 showing up i was going to pay 700$ for a super clocked 780 but when 290X came i thought i can save atleast 50$ by buying it and getting a VGA cooler for it too..but now i'm just confused to what to do.we need an ultimate review where 780,780ti and 290 and 290X are there and the AMD card should be geared with a water cooler or a better cooler and we should see for 400$ to 700$ what is the best choice 290X with cooler or 780Ti...right now I'm so confused...

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
@ HKILLER

What is there to be confused about? Buy the card that fits your needs whether it be Nvidia or AMD does not matter. For what it is worth IMO best bang for the buck is an R9 290 at 400.00 or wait for when the aftermarket solutions come out they will give you a 10-20% boost easily plus an OC and if they use higher grade parts that number will only go up. Or you can buy 2 R9 290s and get double the performance of the 780ti for 100 bucks more. Also if you are wanting a pretty good buy from Nvidia in the 500.00 range get the 780 it's a pretty good offering also!

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
okay wait people say 780 TI is 10% faster than 290X.if you get a 290X+Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III it would be 625$ let's say that extra 75$ you pay gives 290X a 5% boost.so 780 ti would be 5% more efficient but it will cost 12% more than a 290X+a VGA cooler...(I'm just talking in theory and mostly according to the reviews so far).i would say if that 12% doesn't bother you get 780 TI (75$) if yes get the 290X+Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III 625$....

@Rum
I don't know man 'm ripping my brain out and nerding the heck out of myself figuring out what's going on...but i think i would wait till Christmas.more reviews and a bit of discount on parts so we will see what will happen...
P.S: if i fix a comment in forums it won't get fixed in the site?

I can't understand how people can be loyal to the red team when their drivers are terrible, their cards can't run an OpenCL app and some TV software at the same time without the graphic driver crashing and now that they have the hottest running card on the market it's somehow the coolest thing on the market which is completely different to how they regarded the GTX480 and these are the same folk who slagged Nvidia off for renaming a couple of cards and yet don't slag off AMD for renaming all of their cards!

iatemyelf

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
@eklipz330 "what i can't understand is how people can manage to stay loyal to the green team especially when they've been using monopolistic tendencies when it comes to pricing their cards... seriously, dropping a cards price point at the snap of a finger by hundreds of dollars, and they're still profiting like monsters i bet.

and yet, people will continue to eat up their products like mindless sheep. guess a lot of people have disposable income."

because nvidia puts the money towards research & development, not just making a profit. it's how they are able to stay on top of things and put out powerful and efficient products. their profits haven't increased substantially, in fact i'm pretty sure they've dropped over the last several years while they're market share has remained relatively stable, so this would indicate they are not just overpricing products to "profit like monsters". in 2012 their revenue was $4 billion and their net income was $581 million. they spent over $1 billion on R&D alone.

if you don't want to spend the premium on the best products out there or have that same company continue to push out great and efficient products, that's entirely on you and has nothing to do with people being "mindless sheep." i find it kinda funny that you would even call others that, when it seems like you just have a blatant bias against nvidia and don't seem to understand how companies work and operate. do you really think AMD wouldn't do the same thing if they had the market share and quality that nvidia puts out?

then again, there's a simple solution to this... you don't like the price? don't buy it.

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
The ultimate question about this review is, if the 290 benefited 10-20% from a better cooler would not the 290X benefit just as much if not more from a better cooler? If that is true than the 780ti's lead goes up in smoke! Granted I think the TI probably has more OC headroom but at a 150-200 premium the TI isn't looking so hot! My only qualm with the review is the bashing of AMD over the heat and Press card I am sure that if the truth be told Nvidia did the same exact thing. Either way Nice review and nice GPU good job Nvidia!

I don't consider myself poor, but I still hate giving anyone that much of my money. But they do have the best performance when you don't simply take FPS into account.

Also, I like how they have to now differentiate between 290x press and 290x retail. That's just smashingly hilarious. I was almost suckered in too!

It might be a little early but the reviewer W1zzard at TechpowerUp found that the 780ti has huge o/c potential.
From the review:
GPU overclocking potential is VERY impressive. It's been a while since I've seen a GPU do almost 30% OC on launch day. Memory overclocks well too, thanks to the fast memory chips, and reaches typical levels for 7 Gbps GDDR5.
And he did that while the card was stable at 83Co :eek:

So I can't even imagine what this card can do with a costum cooler from MSI or ASUS... (I am not even reffering one of the best self placing air coolings like Arctic's Accelero Xtreme III)

Actually I think this card was underclocked by Nvidia on purpose. Its real clock should be more around 1Ghz rather 876Mhz.
But the reason Nvidia did this was pretty clear a few days ago.
Rumors and some pics talking of 780ti Black Edition at 1Ghz... (with more memory ofc) And pricier I guess...

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
78º room temps? Guess some like it hot. In Denver my cool weather heat is set to 69º and air to 72º.

As for variances, you are comparing the absolute best Nvidia chips against the first run as available AMD chips and express surprise at the variances. Think of all the recent Nvidia buyers who have been stuck with lesser chips while Nvidia was cherry picking for their Ti.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Great review Chris. I might end up upgrading my gpu soon if things keep up this pace. What with Gsync coming out next year and the new cards blowing mine away by 30+ fps in all games it may be time to start looking at a new card before I have to sink $5-600 on a monitor as well.

wow, this is a heavy blow toward AMD. tho it's interesting that Nvidia would 'intentionally' cripple their flagship's 4K performance (via memory limitations) in an attempt to save costs. I guess few people game at 4K atm so it's no big deal, but it's still a bit odd.

That aside, I can't help but feel that this is a bit of a kick in the b... to those who purchased the Titan earlier in the year, buying into Nvidia's claim that it's the unique GPU champion that won't be beat by a single generation change, thus justifying the $1k price tag...

Status
Not open for further replies.