Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 Series MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
At what point do you guys think they'll start looking at new materials? Within the next 10 years? I imagine theirs a fairly big wall coming up pretty soon in terms of shrinking dies. Other then building up, i imagine quantum computing isn't to far off?

And would piss off some of 980ti owner? :p

But seriously i don't know what nvidia will do. Logically they will come out with GP104 first. That would allow them to maximize their profit. But they can't leisurely do that. Not when intel already rolling out their latest Phi. Looking at top 500 list intel Xeon Phi really is the major threat to nvidia right now. Just like nvidia intel also have supercomputer win. And from what i read it will go head to head with nvidia (and IBM) solution to contest being the fastest supercomputer in 2017-2018 time frame

Novice J

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Apologies if this isn't the right place, but I upgraded my OC'd GTX 970 to a 980 Ti (no overclock) and noticed a distract change in temps. Where my 970 sat at 38 (max) centigrade on idle, my 980 stays around 55, sometimes up to 67 on idle. What gives??? How can I keep this cool. I'm afraid to play GPU intensive games on it because it runs so hot already. Is this normal??

What model? Instead let the drivers control the fan speed havecyou tried using your own curve? (you can use third party tool like MSI After Burner or EVGA Precision to do this). Other than that it could be too much thermal paste being applied during assembly.

Novice J

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
EVGA ACX+, I'm not even sure how to get Precision to work, it seemed easy to get my 970 to use the curve I set, but this one doesn't seem to have an auto fan module?? I just started precision and pushed up the fan speed slightly and it brought the temps down to 38 right away. I wonder why the fan on this GPU doesn't start right away?

Well it is a feature that are getting popular right now. Asus Strix series are the first to come up with this 0db (totally silent operation) to create silent gaming experience. The fan usually will only start spinning when the temp reaching certain limit. That's the basic idea. Now different vendor have different setting where the fan starts spinning. That's why for example even if idle temp reaching 60c the fan will not spinning to cool the card. But for those that prefer the fan keep spinning even on idle can force the fan to spin using fan curved like provided by third party overclocking tool.

Gpu able to sustain quite high degree of heat. Hence maximum temperature limit for gpu usually in 95c to 105c. The VRM in range of 100c is quite common on high end card. So 60c or so is quite 'cool' for gpu. Personally i just let my 960 operate in '0db mode'. Usually the fan will start spinning once the temp start reaching mid 50s or so. Personally i don't think this 0db stuff as totally bad. Since the fan not constantly spinning it might be able to prolong fan life. My previous 660 fan in my 660SLI setup wear out in less than two years most likely because of using much aggressive fan curve. My only concern with this 0db stuff wasVRM temperature.

Eggz

Distinguished

I'm looking forward to it as well. I've been holding off on a 4K display because nothing can drive that like my 780 ti can drive 1080p, which is really nice most of the time. I don't expect the first Pascal chip to do that, but my hope is that a mature Pascal chip will be the first GPU to drive a 4K screen with maxed settings in a demanding game. If not, it's hard justifying the $700-$1,000 for a top end GPU that will perform like an old computer from the get go - like the current cards do at high resolutions.

Novice J

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
I didn't know that 60c was safe for an idle GPU, if it is, then I won't worry about that. Is that temp also safe for CPUs at idle?

^ Basically, yes. With a GPU, all it is doing is really making the video feed. If you are idling on your desk and using paint or maybe transferring some files from a USB to your HDD, your GPU won't be used much. However, your CPU will be doing calculations and performing tasks, so it is not practical. I have my fan curve for my CPU as if the temps are below 38c, the fan is about 300rpm. Once if reaches 45c, it begins to ramp up.

MadMorigan

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

I remember hearing something about the 980 ti being released and after that, there would be a gtx 980 Metal. Anybody else remember hearing about that? I'd love to see a new powerhouse card come up. So far, we have three cards with very similar performance at the top. I'd like to see a single gpu powerhouse overtake them all by a good margin. Here's what I remember:

http://gearburn.com/2015/04/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-coming-may-gtx-980-metal-follow/

Eggz

Distinguished
Looks like Nvidia will stop offering direct driver downloads through its website starting in December. The only way to get new drivers will be through Geforce Experience. I don't mind, but I know it will bug some people, and I think others might get confused when they can't find online drivers. So here's a short announcement:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/410600,geforce-experience-becomes-mandatory-for-driver-downloads.aspx

And also a more detailed announcement for those interested.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9721/nvidia-geforce-experience-update-4k-gamestream-1080p-twitch-driver-update-changes-to-come