Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 And 980 Review: Maximum Maxwell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Sexy. Going to admit, I posted in the rumor thread for the GTX 880 by Broekhuijsen. Clearly, the thread was wrong with the misnomer, but we're guessing there right? Secondly, I was wrong about the specs. It did turn out to be a 4 GPC, 64 ROPs. It wasn't based off the 750ti's GK107. The GK107 had 5 SMMs per GPC, the GM204 has 4 SMMs per. The 2MB of L2 cache turned out to be shared, instead of scaling. They dropped 4GB memory instead of 3GB, and a 256 bus instead of 512. I admit when I'm wrong :)

I do like how NVidia is pushing performance at the price points. I am hoping for a Maxwell gap closer between the 750ti ($145) and 760 ($225).

Yeah that gap has always been very puzzling and also effects sales for Nvidia at anywhere between those prices, I don't get it.

TheAshigaru

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Looking like another round of great competition in the GPU market. I'm looking forward to AMD's response. This past year has been great for us consumers with the R9 series and now Nvidia's 9 series.

Very interesting.

I guess the raw resources of the R9 290x pays of more at higher resolutions.

Larger memory bus, more compute, etc.

Still interesting though.

Jetpil0t

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
On other sites you can see a fully overclocked 970 on stock cooling can just beat out a stock 980, which makes it crazy good value (something not really addressed in this article). With a water loop or AIO Liquid cooler bracketed onto the 970, it looks like you might be able to push it even further as others were hitting thermal limits at maximum overclock, not voltage or stability limits. This card looks to be one crazy good value board if you are overclocking.

epileptic

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Another typo page 2: "Microsoft has committed that it's new graphics API" -> its

Edit: More:

p2: "Imagine the room your currently in" -> you're
p2: "the inevitable future of real-time photorealitic game graphics" -> photorealistic
p6: "EVGA sent us the its superclocked take" -> us its
p10: "Despite it's status" -> its
p16: "that represent he average performance" -> the
p16: "but it's price definitely makes high-end performance more accessible" -> its
p16: "they have got it it where it counts" -> got it where

I would think that GM200 still needs to arrive, but I guess we could still wait another generation for that.

Don, when you mention the Gigabyte "Golden Sample", why don't you fire up GPU-Z and read the ASIC score? It would be interesting to see the ASIC difference between the two chips.

In terms of Maxwell, consumers are all going to win. Prices are going to be dropping all over the place. The GTX 760 just had its price dropped, and the entire top-end Kepler line was discontinued. AMD cards are all going to be forced into big price cuts, and even then you'd have to think twice about purchasing one.

Hardware Canucks had a good summary of the situation:
"The GTX 980 must be causing a serious case of deja-vu for AMD. Back when the GTX 680 was launched, their Tahiti cards looked too expensive, too slow, too loud and too hot….and the situation hasn’t really changed this time around. In every almost every game the GTX 980 easily outmuscles their flagship R9 290X, consumes significantly less power and costs just $50 more. So what does this mean for AMD? They’re currently stuck with a power hungry, hot running architecture that is still quite competitive from a performance standpoint but some significant price cuts are desperately needed."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/67445-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-performance-review-14.html

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
People need to understand something about Maxwell's supposed "boring incremental" performance over Kepler.

The fact is TDP is a ceiling for how much performance you can eke out of a GPU. Anything to lower it considerably means in the future you have a design you can work with to squeeze even more performance out of the architecture. We could say "screw that, give me the fastest card you can make!". But if we allowed runaway TDP, you would soon start seeing graphics cards that need a third power PCIe plug and take up three slots by default, or include a liquid cooler. Both of which would increase the initial cost of entry to enjoy high-end graphics.

Also since NVIDIA has a somewhat nontrivial chunk in all markets it participates in, it's easier to develop a power saving design for mobile and scale up, rather than build a desktop version and scale down. Remember, what saved Intel from going down a disastrous path of hot, inefficient CPUs? A design based on a highly power efficient mobile chip.

AMD is treading on thin ice if they can't match what NVIDIA is doing efficiency wise.

Potata12

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Should I get a 780 ti or a 980, the 780ti has been there for a while and it's still good while the 980 is completely new and some people are saying it will have a 8gb model in December, I really don't know what to get :(

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Just ordered my GTX 980 as soon as I saw it pop up on Newegg after reading anandtech's review earlier, glad to see yours backs it up also. I've been waiting on Maxwell for over a year to upgrade my 560ti, people had me a bit nervous with all the talk of the 980 not even beating the 780ti, but this is pretty much an across the board improvement while also lowering cost and heat generation. One of the most all around solid GPU releases I've seen in a few years now.

Potata12

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.