Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Comes With NVTTM Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only interested if it drops prices of current GPU's

Based upon the non-price drop of the 670/680 when the 7-series came out, don't bet on it. Instead of a serious $100+ price drop of those cards, vendors just let the stock run out. I believe the biggest discount of the 680 was about $40.

With that said, I skipped the 7-series. And based upon the 180W TDP and apparently cooler operation, let alone the improved performance, I'm glad I waited.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Compared to my GTX680, that's the same power profile, 1/3 more CUDA cores, and twice the memory. It's really not that impressive, comparatively. I think I'll wait for the next generation to upgrade. My dual 680s have done well so far.

That is some amazing power savings, chances are its still 28nm. So its probably going to drop even more in power once 20nm comes.

I'm also surprised about the performance. I'm not so well read up on the 780 and 780Ti specs but don't they have a lot more cores with more memory bandwidth? 2048 cores might be fine given higher clock rates but 256-bit bandwidth really seems to be cutting performance back too much for this level of card.

Free2play_noobs

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Memory bus is too low, I don't know if it will be enough to sustain such high amount of VRAM . & Then the speed of the memory isn't that much of ground breaking either.

I heard it was because the 800 series was already doing good on laptops so they decided to skip it. Just seems a stupid idea to me since unless they are going to run two completely different architectures keeping the same numbering scheme helps to keep track.

hannibal

Distinguished
anybody know whether these upcoming generation of cards (nvidia/amd) support hdmi 2.0/DP 1.3?

Noup... HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2... Maybe in the next generation...
What I have found out from the leaks, this use cheaper voltage regulators, cheaper memory bus... you got the point. This seems to be cheaper to produce than 780 is, so this is the economy solution. But the power usage seems to be very good, so why complain.

What is the point of this card even existing? If it performs between the 780 and 780Ti, then why doesn't nvidia just continue with those cards as the current generation and work on something that will actually be better than the current generation?

It's like a tv company making a 36" LED and a 38" LED, then making a big announcement that it is coming out with a 37" LED with the exact same features. I'm pretty sure if the 36" wasn't big enough for you, you probably bought a 38". Who want's the awkward middle child.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
crap...looks like I'll need an adaptor for my two DVI/VGA only monitors... I certainly hope a few OEMs like eVGA or ASUS put one of these together with dual DVI ports. i hate adaptors :(

dgingeri

Distinguished
Chris, There is a nice little item that's available pretty cheaply that will fix that problem: a Displayport to DVI adapter. They even make it easier to unhook from the PC.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
We waited 18 months since the GK110 and the best card they can throw out is between a 780 and 780 Ti which are not that big of a difference between each other in performance. Depressing.

What is the point of this card even existing? If it performs between the 780 and 780Ti, then why doesn't nvidia just continue with those cards as the current generation and work on something that will actually be better than the current generation?

It's like a tv company making a 36" LED and a 38" LED, then making a big announcement that it is coming out with a 37" LED with the exact same features. I'm pretty sure if the 36" wasn't big enough for you, you probably bought a 38". Who want's the awkward middle child.

The difference is the new architecture is more efficient, and will likely be no more expensive than the 780. At some point, they may even make a 980ti with the new arch for a faster card than the 780ti.

Wow guys, give them a break. First of all, we don't know what the 980ti can do. Second of all, those are freaking SYNTHETIC benchmarks, so we really don't know what the 970 or 980 can do either...

And third of all, this thing went from a TDP of 250w to a TDP of 180w. Even if you're so focused the only thing you care about is benchmark numbers, that's a huge improvement, AND means far more room for overclocking.

Egleu

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Strange that he says it's between the 780 and 780ti when the linked chart shows the 970 between those two and the 980 10% better than 780ti at stock.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
the stats are all based on proposed synthetics of a card that so far nobody has admitted to having/benching. the things we DO know is it's going to be in the ballpark of what amounts to being an AMD R9 290x for likely less than 780 money and a TDP 60w lower. if you already got a card that's in that ballpark (290,290x,780,780Ti) this card is NOT for you. if you don't like the thermals of those AMD cards and aren't too keen on the price of the 780s, then this IS the card for you!.

RE: dgingeri = I KNOW there's an adapter for HDMI to DVI, and DP to DVI, I -don't- like adaptors. it just adds another potential point of failure and since my desktop doesn't get moved around i don't mind reaching around my case occasionally and tightening the screws when/if i need to do a tear-down. It's the principal, man! Maybe if i scrounge up another $500 on top of what it'll cost to acquire this thing I might be compelled to get a UHD/2k monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS