Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Comes With NVTTM Cooler

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jase240

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
So basically if you already have a 780 or 780 TI this isn't worth an upgrade...

It's supposed to outperform the 780 by a lot, and it's going to be close in performance to the 780Ti. Yet it will also consume much less power, and generate less heat thus allowing for higher overclocks making it worth it.
Really what this card is for, those still on Fermi or the original Keplar cards. This is going to be a worth-it as an upgrade for those users.

anybody know whether these upcoming generation of cards (nvidia/amd) support hdmi 2.0/DP 1.3?

I don't know this, but they'd have to be crazy to not include hdmi 2.0 and stay at 1.4. This is especially so considering that they put 4GB of memory on this thing (clearly it's going to be marketed as a 4K flagship... imagine if it can't do it at 60hz?)

as for Displayport 1.3, I would have said no way it's too new. but after seeing that I/O with THREE DP connectors, I don't know. maybe it's there... otherwise, just WHY?

Gungar

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
IMPORTANT : the performance information of this post is WRONG. The 980 is faster than the 780ti by around 10%.
Thank you for your attention.

Gungar

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
IMPORTANT : the performance information of this post is WRONG. The 980 is faster than the 780ti by around 10%.
Thank you for your attention.

Pharstar

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
What is the point of this card even existing? If it performs between the 780 and 780Ti, then why doesn't nvidia just continue with those cards as the current generation and work on something that will actually be better than the current generation?

It's like a tv company making a 36" LED and a 38" LED, then making a big announcement that it is coming out with a 37" LED with the exact same features. I'm pretty sure if the 36" wasn't big enough for you, you probably bought a 38". Who want's the awkward middle child.

I imagine to attract a larger base of customers who could afford these near 780ti cards. I'm glad and am considering the 980 if it's at the $500 or so pricepoint. Then I'll give my 770 to my stepson and we will both be happy. I would like to ask about that memory bus and bandwidth. The bandwidth is similar to a current 770, but can be overclocked more and more safely with Maxwell?? I don't need to really with the game I mostly play (WoW) but it would be nice to have more wiggle room with the less wattage.

2 M

Pharstar

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
Isn't there a Titan II coming out in 2 months? What are you guys whining about? This seems about fiscal responsibility. I'm sure they've done their market research. You guys will get your monster card a few months later.

Pharstar

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
So the question really is, can the memory bus make full use of 4 gigs of VRAM? I don't know, I'm really not a techy but that's what I and probably a lot of consumers are asking: "780ti performance with 3 gigs @ $600-$730 or 980 (same performance as 780ti) with 4 gigs @ $500 + runs cooler and overclocks more and more easily." So yeah, what can anyone say about full use of 4 gigs with the rest of those specs? Can a 770 4gb even fully use those 4 gigs? Cuz I do know a 780ti can fully use 3 gigs...Which is a better choice for an upgrade next week?

MWIZ

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
The article is incorrect. It's the 970 that is between the 780 and 780ti.

From another site with the leaked benchmarks:

"The sample was put through a quick run of 3DMark 11 Extreme Preset. It scored X3963 points, which if you factor in the dual-core Core i3-4130 used in the bench, puts the GTX 970 somewhere between the GTX 780 and GTX 780 Ti, in terms of performance."

To all the people dooming the GPU to epic fail, I sadly must dissapoint you. A GPU made on the mid-range GM204 with lower TDP, lower amount of cores as well as lower memory bandwidth, which will compete with a fully enabled GK110 GPU?

I'd say it's freaking amazing. Nvidia will only release the mid-range parts, just as they did with the 600-series/700-series. AMD can't dompete with their high-end parts, so why throw the ace on the table immediately? However, when AMD throw out their competitive GPUs (and they will), Nvidia will release their high-end GPUs. Just like they did with the Titan and 700-series.

It's smart marketing. Selling "half-ass" GPUs to flagship prices? Plz Nvidia, which organ do you want?

They did something similar with the 300 series.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
low memory bandwidth but I think that contributes to nvidias lower power consumption. AMD dropped to 256bit on their tonga and power dropped hugely too. Still prefer the high bandwidth on the amd cards though

This could still be wrong couldn't it? These cards could have different specs

Memory bandwidth does not correlate to power consumption. :)

Jip, although the number 3 scares me when it comes to graphics cards(GT730 *shiffers), so it never bothered me then. :D

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I see some blind Nvidia fan boys voted "Dislike" to my orginal post. But if you actually were paying attention and knew how to read, you would have seen that I too am an Nvidia owner of two GTX780s and love them. However, what I am not impressed about is the lack of (predicted) performance of the GTX980 vs. my GTX780s. At minimum, the GTX980 should provide at least a 25% improvement accross the board. The GTX780 has been out since April 2013. That's 18 months for Nvidia to improve upon the Kepler performance with it's all-new Maxwell GPUs. Evidently, 18 months wasn't long enough and the GTX980 is only a minor incremental upgrade. Very dissappointed. indeed. Dislike and hate if you want, but I'm just calling it lik I see it.

Pharstar

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah that's cool Ninja. I'm seeing you're disappointed with the time frame of releases. I see that Nvidia spent a lot of time with Maxwell and the mid - upper tiers were released first and marketed as cost savers which I'm sure much of the market such as I will appreciate. I also heard Titan II will be out before Christmas but that may just be a rumor. Nvidia is probably trying to demolish AMD on the larger market of mid level stuff. Just look at Intel Pentium G3258...it's a little monster at an affordable price. Sustainability buzzword here and will AMD be able to keep up? I'm not a fan boy either side. Just want the most reliable product for the money. So...timeline...yeah. Big biz here but tbh Nvidia's got my $ for the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.