Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Comes With NVTTM Cooler

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished

It use less electricity!
We are going from very powerfull to very efficient GPU era, little by little.

Cryoburn101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Cue AMD's watercooled zero ****s given GPUs (hopefully, 'cause watercooling). Seriously though, It will be interesting to see how AMD responds, increased efficiency or all-out on performance....

Pharstar

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
4 gigs for higher resolution monitors or games like BF4 or modded Skyrim needing more VRAM, runs cooler therefore can oc more stably, and yeah mid level pricepoint so similar performance but projected to be like $100-200 cheaper is what I'm seeing. So no, not really an upgrade if you already have top tier but an awesome upgrade if you have like a mid grade or 2 gig card. Nvidia hasn't released their top tier yet...guess waiting for AMD to ante up but Maxwell seems so efficient and cool that the draw is for overclocking and SLI (cheaper prices). Guess they'd prefer to manufacture Maxwell vs Kepler for cost and to reach a larger market which I for one am happy about-noob as I am :). I'm planning on getting the MSI TFV 980 (looks so damn cool) and giving my kid my EVGA 770 sc ACX 2gig. He currently has the 750ti (Maxwell debut) and it is a little monster...great card for the games we play.

This may seem a bit more offensive than I actual mean it to be.

But why are Toms reviews always a little late in comparison to countless other sites?
Do you get a sample a little ahead of time but not as much time?

I have also noticed that AMD GPU reviews tend to come out BEFORE other sites but Nvidia well behind(AMD GPU reviews tend to include more board partners as well), do you have a better relationship with AMD and their board partners?

Of course it won't be in 14nm. The only company in the world currently able to produce at 14nm is Intel. The others are almost ready to move to 20nm, so it may or may not be in 20nm. It certainly won't be at 14nm.

As for why to skip the 800 series, I explained this earlier. Hit "CTRL" and "F" together. Then type "800" and you will find it.

It could be that they have better relations with AMD board partners. A major branch of Tomshardware is located in Germany, and coincidentally so is Sapphire, the biggest AMD board maker.

It could also be they have fallen short staff lately. They were just asking for resumes of people to apply for the job of reviews. Its doubtful those picked will get any big assignments like the latest GPUs, but they will likely get to do articles for smaller releases of tech parts, general information articles, etc. That will free more time for the more experienced staff to focus on big hardware releases.

First of all, aside from the fact that you're complaining about downvotes and claiming it's because of fanboys...

I down-voted your post because it was based on incorrect information.

Go read the benchmarks. Tom's Hardware read them incorrectly and so had misinformation in some of their posts about the upcoming GPUs, which we've been trying very hard to correct. The 980, at complete stock, is performing on par with a fairly significantly overclocked 780... which means that if you buy a board with a factory overclock, it's easily going to have the 25% improvement that you're looking for, along with producing WAY less heat (which means giving you way more overclocking headroom.)

They also support a lot of new technologies... and on top of that...

Yes. It's an incremental upgrade to go from one generation to the next. It always has been. That's why it was kinda silly then to upgrade from a GTX 580 to a GTX 680. The same thing applies here. Like Tom's has been saying for years, in order to get an appreciable difference for your money, you should wait to upgrade to a card that's three tiers higher than yours. That means either jumping up the ranks of the naming scheme, or waiting a couple generations like people do when they don't have money burning through their pocket. This is directed at all the folks who have been complaining about not getting enough of a performance jump - it's a single generation, when AMD hasn't shown what they can do yet. Nvidia has better chips in the bag, and are making sure they don't overextend. It's been like this for decades. You want more performance, buy a second card or wait a few generations. Volta will be coming after Maxwell, and we'll definitely have made it to the die shrink by then, so you should wait and see what happens, not just whine that one generation isn't giving you quantum computing.

Acidfix

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Yeah it's pretty crazy. A whole new series and the first card they bring to the table is not even as fast as the almost a year old AMD R9 290.

It's a slap in the face for all the Nvidia fanboys as well. Who paid 700 bucks for the 780ti then they release a card that runs a little slower for only 400 bucks.

thankfully I went with the 290 for 370 bucks.

Yes you should really defend your statements a little. From the reviews I have seen, the weaker of the two cards released, the GTX 970, manages to beat the AMD R9 290 pretty much always, and even manages to beat the more powerful AMD R9 290x and the Nvidia GTX 780Ti sometimes. Granted, the GTX 780Ti is a pretty big slap in the face from given its so much more expensive.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/190463-nvidia-maxwell-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-review/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/8
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/16
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_g1_gaming_review,13.html

I love AMD, and I am really happy with the AMD GPU I have in my computer, and next time I buy a GPU it will mostly likely be an AMD card cause they tend to have more performance for the price I feel, though these cards really helped to reverse that for Nvidia. However, despite my preference for AMD, I don't think even the biggest AMD fanboys can look at these new cards and say they aren't impressive and a major step forward in performance and power consumption, in general much better than AMD's current cards at their prices, without knowing they are lying to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS