Review Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super Review: Leaving Navi In The Dust

It scored higher than the 5700XT...? Toms... these reviews are useless if they don't make sense... you know?!!!

There is no way this product can be recommended... NO WAY in hell.

Score should be 2.5/5

The least exciting of the Super refreshes that weren't that exciting in the first place. I'll say it again, screws early adopters (this time only a little bit) and new customers still don't get a good value since the RTX-2080 range price/performance is garbage anyways. The least improvement for the least worth it product in Nvidia's lineup.

Reactions: Aspiring techie
"Even more so than GeForce RTX 2060 Super and 2070 Super, the 2080 Super looks very, very similar to its predecessor"

TLDR It's basically just a price drop. You could overclock your founder's edition for the same performance increase.

Not quite? The 2060 Super includes more memory and more memory bandwidth along with more shaders.

All the cards have more shaders and also probably will have more clocking headroom. This is not like the HD7970GHz edition that was a binned speed chip. These are binned but binned with more total shaders.

I don't understand why this card got a 4/5 star rating, which ties with the RX 5700. This card is way overpriced. Technically, both cards are, but at least the Navi card is a much better value than competing Nvidia cards.

Because price is only one aspect of the total score for a card?

Value is also in the eye of the beholder. Why did the owner of my company dump $140K into a Mercedes that has had massive problems after his $140K Audis transmission blew and he only got $20K for the trade? I mean hell its a construction company and he could have bought two very nice Ford Raptors instead which makes more sense but he likes the other cars more.

Point being, while I agree the price is a tad too high, not everyone sees the RX 5700 XT as a good value when chasing the max FPS. Especially considering that down the road the RX 5700 XT will have to be replaced sooner than the RTX 2080 Super.

It scored higher than the 5700XT...? Toms... these reviews are useless if they don't make sense... you know?!!!

There is no way this product can be recommended... NO WAY in hell.

Score should be 2.5/5

It's always the same with you isn't it? Maybe both cards have their value but this one has better value for the market segment it is trying to reach.

BTW Chris is probably the best reviewer TH has, I certainly miss the days when he was running the ship. They are typically fully fledged with plenty of information to help make a good decision.

Yes the RX 5700 XT is a better "value" if price is your only concern but until AMD tosses GCN to the curb and pushes out a new uArch design that can truly push nVidia we wont see any real price war in the GPU market.

Basically AMD needs to pull a Zen.

Value from a top dog? Some people needs a reality check in a capitalist world.

Yeah, yeah, the 2080ti is the top dog... No, the Titan V was it? I can't remember as AMD is so far behind we have to deal with this pricing nonsense from nVidia to get decent performance.

I sound* salty, because I am. I want prices to go down, but no company out there works as a charity. The only way nVidia will ever drop prices (even in the form of a re-brand / re-launch) is with competition.

You can all hope AMD gets their act together and delivers with the next gen.

Cheers!

Reactions: King_V
I don't understand why this card got a 4/5 star rating, which ties with the RX 5700. This card is way overpriced. Technically, both cards are, but at least the Navi card is a much better value than competing Nvidia cards.
Maybe you have forgotten about the famous Tom's article about the RTX cards before they were even released:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html

Just buy it!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeb3IhsZSCM

Reactions: Kourgath223
Title changes from "Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super Review: Leaving Navi In The Dust" to "Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super Review: Leaving Navi In The Dust At Nearly 2x the price" to "Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super Review: High-Res Gaming at a Premium Price". Maybe y'all should have just used the last title in the beginning? Even this comment thread still has the original name. If you guy's kept it as is, then it would've been the save as "Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super Review: Leaving RTX 2070 In The Dust" or simply anything else in the 400$ bracket. Imagine comparing a 700$ card to a 400$ card.

Maybe you have forgotten about the famous Tom's article about the RTX cards before they were even released:

Just buy it!

That was an Op-Ed by the head of TH. Myself, and most moderators, were very much against it anyways as they are always pointless.

However that has NOTHING to do with Chris and his review. Chris has never been that way and always gives an honest opinion for the product.

Just buy it!

bingo, don't question nvidia, just buy them! I for one am all for our corperate overlords.

setting that sad social commentary aside, I love how THG ignores the fact that the 2080 super is just a 1080ti, being sold at $700+

the Rt2070 xt just tested at or just above 2070 speeds (depending on the reviewer), and sells for <400

If that isn't attractive for anyone then you'll never see lower prices from nvidia. Why? because it's people like those, waiting for the mystical nvidia price drop that allows them to NEVER drop their prices. The longer they refuse to buy team red, the more they lock in nvidia's monopolistic practices.

and the more tech journalists and publications like THG ignores NVIDIA's predatory monopolistic pricing, the worst the situation gets.

Reactions: chickenballs

Aspiring techie

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Value from a top dog? Some people needs a reality check in a capitalist world.

Yeah, yeah, the 2080ti is the top dog... No, the Titan V was it? I can't remember as AMD is so far behind we have to deal with this pricing nonsense from nVidia to get decent performance.

I sound* salty, because I am. I want prices to go down, but no company out there works as a charity. The only way nVidia will ever drop prices (even in the form of a re-brand / re-launch) is with competition.

You can all hope AMD gets their act together and delivers with the next gen.

Cheers!
I completely agree with you. Nvidia is free to charge whatever it likes for its top end cards.
And yes, top end cards always have poor price/$ ratio. It's just that the 2080 (and to a lesser extent the super) are basically a sideways upgrade from the previous ultra high end, the 1080 ti.

Yes, hopefully AMD gets their act together and brings some sanity to the high end.

Thanks for updating the title. You guys are a real joke sometimes. You’re comparing a $700 card to a $400 card and claiming it kicks its butt? Yeah, no crap. I used to love this website but holy cow your reporting has gone way down hill. You also removed the freaking comments so people wouldn’t see that everyone hates your articles. Fix your crap if you want your readers back.

Reactions: shmoochie
That was an Op-Ed by the head of TH. Myself, and most moderators, were very much against it anyways as they are always pointless.

However that has NOTHING to do with Chris and his review. Chris has never been that way and always gives an honest opinion for the product.

You think his title was an honest review? It may be update now but holy cow.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Man, this review is disappointing. You are just buying the Founder's manipulative pricing? You can already buy 2080's that are not founder's editions for $700, so there is no improvement in perf/dollar unless you are a chump that can't think for yourself. It's almost like nVidia's reviewer's guide says "same card for $100 less, make sure you say that". Pathetic. Even when the cards are terrible, the positive reviews just keep coming in. Bookmark deleted. I can find more honesty on Youtube.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I bought my 1080ti for $759 not quite two years ago and have been very happy with its performance. Now the 2080 Super reportedly gets ~17% higher performance for only $700 an 8% price cut. That sounds like a great deal to me.

The 2080ti reportedly gets 33% higher performance than my 1080ti but for a recent price of $969 new (MSI Ventus) after rebate at local Microcenter over weekend, a 28% hjgher price than my 1080ti.

Neither of these two new options are quite enough to entice me sell my 1080ti and buy either. But this incessant whining about prices gets real old and boring.

The reviewer (Chris Angelini) probably isn't the one that chose the title.

He probably doesn't. As I said when Chris ran the site it was a much better time but can't do much about that now.

Man, this review is disappointing. You are just buying the Founder's manipulative pricing? You can already buy 2080's that are not founder's editions for $700, so there is no improvement in perf/dollar unless you are a chump that can't think for yourself. It's almost like nVidia's reviewer's guide says "same card for $100 less, make sure you say that". Pathetic. Even when the cards are terrible, the positive reviews just keep coming in. Bookmark deleted. I can find more honesty on Youtube.

Comparing FE to FE price not FE to AiB. AiB is always different, sometimes more sometimes less. You would instead compare the AiB 2080 to the AiB 2080 Super of the same brand/model.

And I am not sure what everyone expects the review to say? There is more than price to a card. Be it $100 or $1000 the card itself might just be a good product held back by a higher price. And again price is not everything to everyone. $700 may be a lot to some and to others its just another day at the store.

I bought my 1080ti for $759 not quite two years ago and have been very happy with its performance. Now the 2080 Super reportedly gets ~17% higher performance for only $700 an 8% price cut. That sounds like a great deal to me.

The 2080ti reportedly gets 33% higher performance than my 1080ti but for a recent price of $969 new (MSI Ventus) after rebate at local Microcenter over weekend, a 28% hjgher price than my 1080ti.

Neither of these two new options are quite enough to entice me sell my 1080ti and buy either. But this incessant whining about prices gets real old and boring.

Most people would consider that the opposite of a great deal. You have 2 years to improve price to performance but you only manage that much? Nvidia themselves have consistently done better.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Not quite? The 2060 Super includes more memory and more memory bandwidth along with more shaders.

All the cards have more shaders and also probably will have more clocking headroom. This is not like the HD7970GHz edition that was a binned speed chip. These are binned but binned with more total shaders.

I mean, yes it has more memory, bandwidth, and shaders, but apparently that all accounts for a 6% increase in performance which is well within an overclock range on a 2080. That means that the only real selling point this has is the price drop. Although, as someone has said, you can already get 2080s for 700 or less, so I'm not sure the value is actually as good as the review says it is. Sorry my comment didn't slow jerk the added hardware, but I stand by my statement that this is basically just a price drop (Also why I quoted the reviewer saying pretty much the same thing.)

I mean, yes it has more memory, bandwidth, and shaders, but apparently that all accounts for a 6% increase in performance which is well within an overclock range on a 2080. That means that the only real selling point this has is the price drop. Although, as someone has said, you can already get 2080s for 700 or less, so I'm not sure the value is actually as good as the review says it is. Sorry my comment didn't slow jerk the added hardware, but I stand by my statement that this is basically just a price drop (Also why I quoted the reviewer saying pretty much the same thing.)

You would still have to allot for the overclocks of the new hardware.. The only problem is that the regfular ones will probably be phased out so eventually they will be all there is.

That moment when you realize that all of these super cards could have been the originals but weren't. T_T

Except we are not aware of the yields they had before these were launched. They may have gotten to a much more profitable point with yields to allow this vs when they first launched.

Reactions: panathas and Gurg

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014

I paid $700, not sure that you overpaying $759 is relevant. The 2080 Super is 6 percent faster than my 1080 ti over 30 games or so. Again not sure why you think 17 percent. Maybe you just play Wolfenstein or something lol. We have incessant whining about prices because we have the same card for 3 years. 1080 ti, 2080, now 2080 Super. Pathetic. And we should be comparing the 2080 custom models to the 2080 super founder's pricing, since the 2080 founder's pricing was just price gouging for early adopters, and not the MSRP. We can whine about nVidia's transparent manipulation of MSRP. The fact that this review actually had the gall to compare perf/dollar by comparing $800 (for the $700 card) vs $700 is unbelievable.

Any review worth its salt would point these things out. Instead I see 9/10 and 8/10 everywhere for the same perf/dollar for the last 3 years. Apparently we don't even have anything but paid product promotions anymore. It's disgusting.

Last edited: