News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition Review: Taking on Turing's Best at $499

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The problem is that the 6-pin and 8-pin standards are legacy. It's the old XKCD joke:
standards.png

6-pin and 8-pin can't go away until and unless everything stops using them, and that won't happen for decades. So the new standard is just a third thing for all the PSUs to support, rather than a replacement of the old standards.
Someone could always pull an Apple, include only the new things, and sell you converters for a nice upmarket.

Though outside of PSU manufacturers, I'm sure board makers would be happy to reduce how many things they need to install.

i recall when the rx 480 came out and tom's tested more than 75w being pulled from the pcie slot. it was a big deal and caused a lot of grief for amd from many many angles.

what changed in how motherboards are made that it's now ok to break 75w on the pcie slot? not screaming bias or anything but this does seem rather odd to just shrug off what not too long ago was a massive deal. it's pulling too much from both connections and all it gets is a shrug and a "it should be ok"....

anyone explain why it's ok now all of a sudden??? seems like a dangerous precedent to set
It's only breaking 75W when manually overclocked, is the big difference. Overclocking is intentionally pushing performance beyond spec, often including exceeding power limits for certain things. Plus, 3W over is actually within 8% margin that I think is part of the spec.

It's only breaking 75W when manually overclocked, is the big difference. Overclocking is intentionally pushing performance beyond spec, often including exceeding power limits for certain things. Plus, 3W over is actually within 8% margin that I think is part of the spec.
Would be interesting to see what the power draw is when running DLSS & RT. Also why don't you post the decibels in a chart?

To be 100% honest, nVidia might have a real winner here but that's only IF:
  1. They have actual cards to sell
  2. They're able to stave off the attack of the Sneaker-Bot Army
  3. RDNA2 doesn't make it stillborn by deleting it right off the bat
Now, I do believe that this is a great card for a great price but your performance and your price are only as good as your competition allows them to be. The ATi RX 5600 XT deleted the GTX 1660 Ti, the RX 5700 deleted the RTX 2060 and the RX 5700 XT deleted the RTX 2060 Super, the RTX 2070 and did serious damage to the RTX 2070 Super. What will RDNA2 delete?

Would be interesting to see what the power draw is when running DLSS & RT. Also why don't you post the decibels in a chart?
Power still tops out right around 220W regardless of DLSS or RT being enabled. I did actually use RT and DLSS for the thermal imaging video and the dB noise levels — I just didn’t log performance to a file, but it was pretty much as expected.

Why no dB chart is me being a bit lazy (overworked, out of time, etc.) My testbed isn’t super quiet, and logging noise is a manual effort. At some point I need to get data for all the GPUs and put it in a chart. Which of course means I have to create yet another Excel spreadsheet. Time constraints meant I just didn’t do all of that.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
" But then AMD will have to get developers to utilize its DLSS alternative, which puts it about two years behind Nvidia's RTX and DLSS efforts. For games that don't support ray tracing or DLSS, it's easier to see how AMD can win the coming battle. "

@JarredWaltonGPU Consoles and PC now share the same architecture. If they can push DLSS equivalent to consoles, game devs will easily adopt it as consoles are limited on power. And when the time comes to porting it to PC, developers basically have to do nothing. So AMD doesnt even have to push, they just have to deliver the architecture unlike nvidia where they have to push the tech down each and every dev's throat!

D

Deleted member 2783327

Tracking down all the regional pricing data for various GPUs is very time consuming, and I figure people in other areas can fill in the blanks. If the 3070 is being sold for A$1500, though, that's just price gouging. Worst-case, it should be maybe A$1000, and probably lower than that. You can find RX 5700 XT starting at around A$550, whereas it's currently $380 in the US, so only a 45% difference -- and 40% of that is exchange rate.

I can appreciate that.

Sadly, that seems typical of Australian retailers. Core components are all the same; GPU, CPU, Motherboard.

I tried to attach an image but "Something keeps going wrong". Below is an extract from an email that clarifies what's allowed.

I get my prices from aggregators like staticice.com.au, myshopping.com.au, shopbot.com.au etc.

There are a lot of grey marketers here. So after weeding them out you're left with about 8 - 10 retailers. Looking at reputable brands like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, you're looking at about $650 - $750 for a 5700XT.

I have 10 PCs. I used to upgrade them all every two years, but now, I upgrade may be one or two components a year for may be one or two computers.

Anyway, it is what it is. If that is the price, I won't be buying them, no matter how good they are, which is a shame because games are becoming so demanding these days a GPU upgrade is almost a must-do if you want to keep up.

My son has a GTX 1660 Ti running 2 x 1440p monitors. Runscape hammers his PC. GPU at 100%, CPU at 80%. Temps in the 80s. Fans going flat out at 100%.

I have an ASUS RTX 2070 Super in my test PC. On a single 1440p monitor Runescape barely makes a blip.

Setting prices

Businesses are free to set their prices as they see fit, which means we cannot tell a business to set or change their prices. However, businesses must make pricing decisions on their own. They also must not mislead consumers about prices. In addition, a business could break the law by selling below cost for an extended period to damage competition. It is also illegal for suppliers to try to set a minimum price that retailers have to sell above.

Price gouging

Price gouging is a term used to express dissatisfaction with a high price—a price so high that the person using the term thinks the price is unfair or unreasonable. Price gouging is not against the law so, if they want to, businesses can set high profit margins.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
I know TH caters mostly for the US but you do have a global audience.

The RTX 2080 Ti debuted at around A$2500
The RTX 3070 seems to advertised @ around A$1500. Not quite half the price, but still good if it's better than the RTX 2080 Ti.

I bought a RTX 2080 Ti on sale for A$1900 (About $1300 USD at the time), to replace the GTX 1080 Ti I had purchased 2 years earlier for A$1200

I should have waited :(

Hoping for great stuff from AMD...
Considering that I can find 3080's being advertised for 1299-1399 AUD, you really need to shop at better stores.

Also Nvidia's own store:

GeForce RTX™ 3070

Starting At AU$ 809.00
Available on October 30th

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
D

Deleted member 2783327

Considering that I can find 3080's being advertised for 1299-1399 AUD, you really need to shop at better stores.

Also Nvidia's own store:
Starting At AU$ 809.00
Available on October 30th

I'll try not to be offended by your opening statement.

Whilst the prices seem to be all over the place, and the original article I read has since been updated, the ONLY 2 3070's expected to be under A$899 are Inno3D and I wouldn't touch that brand (or Gainward, Sapphire, or Galax) with a barge pole.

The low end MSI - The Ventus - is currently at A$949 at one place. Prices otherwise are currently anywhere from A$950 - A$1319. And they are not available yet.

Either way, they are no where near $499 US. Given the delay and shortages I think it's highly likely that retailers will take advantage of what they call "shortage premiums". And as the original article I read said, "Expect to see RTX3070 prices climb as high as A$1400 - A$1500".

As a comparison I paid $609 for a GTX 1070, $699 for an RTX 2070 and $769 for a RTX 2070 Super

Here's a comprehensive, but nowhere near complete, list;

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS