Review Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Review: Mainstream Ada Arrives

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
So it offers similar performance to the 3080 and launches at an only slightly lower MSRP.

Going by price leaks of some AIB, we will be lucky if we're not going backwards in price / performance.

In 2 years time since the 3080, performance per $ has barely increased.

The 12GB VRAM is depressing too, considering a RX 6950XT offers 16GB for the same price.

DLSS 3.0 doesn't interest me in the slightest since it's just glorified frame interpolation that does nothing to help responsiveness, it actually adds lag.

It's hard to get excited about PC Gaming when it is in such a terrible state.

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
In Europe, price/performance of Nvidia GPU generation-generation has basically flatlined now.

3080 MSRP: €699
4070 MSRP: €669

That's the state PC gaming is in now. In 2 years time, no improvement in price/performance.

It is a good example of what happens in a duopoly market without competition.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The 4070 is releasing at a significantly lower price than the 3080. $699 in September 2020 is $810 in March 2023 dollars. $200 over the 4070 MSRP of $599 is a significant amount. Now, few 4070s will be available at $599, but then few 3080s were actually available at $699 (which, again, is $810 in current dollars).

The 3070 was released at an MSRP of $499, which is $578 in March 2023 dollars.

healthy Pro-teen

Prominent
Jun 23, 2022
In Europe, price/performance of Nvidia GPU generation-generation has basically flatlined now.

3080 MSRP: €699
4070 MSRP: €669

That's the state PC gaming is in now. In 2 years time, no improvement in price/performance.

It is a good example of what happens in a duopoly market without competition.
A duopoly at best, it's almost a monopoly. AMD will probably undercut it by a small amount, get middling reviews and then heavily discount the GPU only when most people have already decided on the 4070. 6950XT is discounted right now and offers better value and the average gamer doesn't know it, so 4070 will sell regardless.

Reactions: oofdragon

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
techpowerup gave it a 5 star review WTF.

Gotta suck up to those companies to make sure you get those sweet review units before everyone else.

sdfgsdgsgsgsg.png

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
While not as disgusting as I worried, the news still isn't great. Yeah I get when you include inflation the price difference is small 3070->4070 BUT after the last gen debacle due to crypto/covid Nvidia owed gamers an "apology". What we got felt more like a middle finger this gen (forgive my 'language'), especially with Jensen's recent comments on crypto not adding anything useful to society... (nvidia and AIBs) sure had no problem selling in bulk to miners leaving gamers to fight for the scraps paying scalper prices last gen.

The 4070 should have been 499 if Nvidia wanted to mend fences with gamers. 549 might have come off as a little weak apology wise but gamers likely would have rejoiced all the same. Instead we got this divisive product gamers can't get behind publically even if their 'forced' to upgrade out of necessity. This gen has been underwhelming as a whole and the 4070 is no different in that respect, even if its not as bad as its 70Ti/80 series peers.

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
I would stop looking at RE4 and The Last of Us as indicators of VRAM usage. Capcom's usage of texture is extremely unoptimized and TLOU is just a bad port. Capcom doesn't use tiling very well, and their engine crashes if the BVH structure is hived off to system RAM.

For 1440p, I would say that 12 GB is the new minimum for high-end/ upper middle-end gaming.

Last edited:

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
This is a slap in the face @$600.
Wouldnt touch this for a penny over $500.

DigitalTrends 5 star review was insulting and clearly reeked of a "paid advertisement".
I think most review outlets are being too heavily influenced by Nvidia and not giving their honest opinions.

Giroro

Splendid
The 4070 is releasing at a significantly lower price than the 3080. $699 in September 2020 is $810 in March 2023 dollars. $200 over the 4070 MSRP of $599 is a significant amount. Now, few 4070s will be available at $599, but then few 3080s were actually available at $699 (which, again, is $810 in current dollars).

The 3070 was released at an MSRP of $499, which is $578 in March 2023 dollars.

Let me go check real fast to see if my salary is being paid in "March 2023" dollars.

Hmm.. It appears no, no it's not.

Giroro

Splendid
When the price of a $600 low-end GPU is being described as "mainstream" and "Mostly Reasonable".

I thought gaming was supposed to a hobby for common people, and kids. You're supposed to be able to game when you can't afford professional photography lenses, lift tickets, or one of those horses that do ballet.

It's no wonder game developers are dropping the ball when nobody can afford gaming hardware. Jensen is going to single-handedly crash the entire games industry.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
"Not to beat a dead horse, but while DP1.4a is technically worse than HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1 (54 Gbps), we have tested a bunch of GPUs with a Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 that supports up to 4K and 240 Hz, thanks to Display Stream Compression (DSC). Until we start seeing DisplayPort 2.1 monitors that run at 4K and 480Hz, DisplayPort 1.4a should suffice. "

This right here is a deal breaker for me and the only reason I'm not entertaining the 4000-series. Let me rephrase that paragraph: "Its just good enough for yesterdays tech, and with some trickery in video compression it will suffice for todays technology, but its utterly incapable of tomorrows tech and a very very poor investment for the future." This is backwards thinking, and with the high price tag, NOPE!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
When the price of a $600 low-end GPU is being described as "mainstream" and "Mostly Reasonable".

I thought gaming was supposed to a hobby for common people, and kids. You're supposed to be able to game when you can't afford professional photography lenses, lift tickets, or one of those horses that do ballet.

It's no wonder game developers are dropping the ball when nobody can afford gaming hardware. Jensen is going to single-handedly crash the entire games industry.

IDK about single handedly. AMD is playing along pricing through the stratosphere while be less feature rich at the same time and don't get me going on the state of their drivers (not that Nvidia's great but they are marginally->decently better than AMDs). But if they aren't careful you are correct they will kill the PC gaming market by choking out the low->mid range cards which most folks buy. Forcing a lot of folks to consoles or something more affordable like the Steam Deck. I fear this is just a prelude of what is to come. Are we going to hit a point where APUs are the new norm for gaming? Is this leaving the dedicated market for the insanely rich only in a few generations time? For the 'portable' market that is great news but for everyone else in PC land...not so much.

Reactions: helper800

aalkjsdflkj

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Jarred - thank you for the excellent review! I appreciate all the work you put into this. Unfortunately, this just drives home for me that I don't need to spend $600+ on a GPU. Since I'm on a 1070 I'm definitely the target market for this card but there's no way I'm buying one at that price. Gaming on a 1070 throughout the GPU shortage (on a 3440x1440 monitor!) taught me is that I don't need to run games on the highest graphics settings to enjoy them. I think I'm going to get a $350 6700XT (12GB) so I can move up from my current low settings to medium or high and call it good for a couple of years. I've learned that my gaming enjoyment is less tied to the low/medium/high/ultra graphics and more to the actual gameplay.
And I don't want to reward anyone for taking GPU prices into the stratosphere.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I skip this generation. 16GB is minimum nowadays.
Hey look, a 1.65% performance improvement per 1% more money card when compared to the 3070. It's disappointing that's where we are at with gpus these days

That's why I didn't consider anything but the 4090 when upgrading from the 3090. I was sold once I saw the reviews showing it's a massive improvement over the 3090... which it is. No other card has 24GB either so it was an easy decision despite the cost.

What's funny is I'd be willing to bet the same people who complain about GPU pricing are also the same people buying $1400 iPhones from Apple... as if those aren't equally price inflated.

I would stop looking at RE4 and The Last of Us as indicators of VRAM usage. Capcom's usage of texture is extremely unoptimized and TLOU is just a bad port. Capcom doesn't use tiling very well and their engine crashes if the BVH structure is hived off to system RAM.

For 1440p, I would say that 12 GB is the new minimum for high-end/ upper middle-end gaming.

Installed Last of Us last night... took 30 mins to build shaders and ran flawlessly for 2 hours in 4K Ultra 60 fps using 14/24GB VRAM. No complaints as of yet.

Apr 1, 2020
A few years ago the 2070 Super aftermarket cards were about $600, so $599 for a 4070 is priced about right for inflation. The problem is that with the economy and people keeping their hardware longer, and the fact the 4070 barely averages 120fps at 2560x1440 (the market they're aiming it at and the fact 1440p120 monitors are far more mainstream these days), would you -really- recommend someone buy this card if they didn't -have- to have a new card, or wait for the 5070 or, at the least, wait for the 4070Ti to drop in price?

I couldn't recommend it as a buy, and I say this as someone who really wants a 4070Ti or 4080, not unless you're flush with cash.

average-fps-2560-1440.png

It's been disappointing to see press just giving a pass on pricing here. This card almost certainly costs less than the RTX 3070 to make which means the prices are about nvidia's margins (as we know they won't pass it on to the partners). There's really no excusing the pricing this generation at all and it's reflected by the fact that the RTX 4090 has been the only reasonably priced release from nvidia.

Praise the performance/efficiency for sure because the architecture is fantastic, but don't give a pass on the obvious greed.