Oct 16, 2023
Hello There,

I have an old 2016 Dell Inspiron 14 7460 (intel core i7 7500U) Laptop, I'm trying to give a new life to this laptop and during Driver installation I noticed its dGPU Nvidia 940MX is not getting detected correctly. It shows Error 43 on the Device Manager.

Windows detecs the 940MX , but cannot use it at all. Also, Nvidia Control Panel won't Launch. I have also ran GPU-Z it also detecs it.

This is what I have tried so far:

1. Reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.
2. Updated BIOS.
3. Updated Chipset/PCIe drivers.
4. Install last Nvidia Driver provided by Dell.
5. Tried old drivers from Nvidia (472.12 and older).
6. If I try to install the latest Driver from Nvidia (557.58) my windows crashes and needs to be restored to a previous state.
7. Currently I'm trying to install drivers between 527.56 version and the version that crashes my windows 10

Additionally, the laptop was turned off for several months, I have upgraded RAM, SDD, Battery , power cable that goes to motherboard, Keyboard, trackpad. However, the issue was there before the upgrade, the laptop also had an issue with Battery, Power charger (not detected), BIOS and RAM wich were fixed with the upgrade of new parts.

Any idea on what could be happening? I was thinking on VBIOS corruption but I haven't found 940MX bios file anywhere, so I have not tried flashing it.

Any help is much appreciate.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Open up GPU-Z and pass on a screenshot of what you see. Error Code 43 + 0(zero)'s showing up in GPU-Z would indicate that the GPU has conked out. No way to fix it apart from replacing the motherboard(or RMA'ing).

Its a long shot if you want to try. Work with the oldest driver Dell lets you have for your windows 10. Most likely you have already downloaded and tried to install.

We need to get to that uncompressed driver package on your computer. We need to get to your ---AppData--- local--- temp---. In there you will find your drivers you have tried to install but there now decompressed.

Drag them to your desktop.

Now go to device manager expand your tree for video card and choose update driver. Tell it you have driver and point it to that driver you dragged to desktop. If all goes well it will only install the basic driver that runs your GPU from Dell. It will be fully functional like before but get past your issue.

You will have to turn on hidden files to be able to get to AppData FYI.

YMMV Good luck

Reactions: Order 66
Oct 16, 2023
Its a long shot if you want to try. Work with the oldest driver Dell lets you have for your windows 10. Most likely you have already downloaded and tried to install.

We need to get to that uncompressed driver package on your computer. We need to get to your ---AppData--- local--- temp---. In there you will find your drivers you have tried to install but there now decompressed.

Now go to device manager expand your tree for video card and choose update driver. Tell it you have driver and point it to that driver you dragged to desktop. If all goes well it will only install the basic driver that runs your GPU from Dell. It will be fully functional like before but get past your issue.

YMMV Good luck
I went to %Appdata%, Local, Temp but how can I identify the drivers?

No Nvidia identifier in there. Currently I have installed this version 31.0.15.2756 of Nvidia drivers.

Oct 16, 2023

YMMV Good luck
Can I do tha same by Unzippnig the Driver installer?

Nov 16, 2023
Hi, i have similar problem, did you find how?

I just changed my Motherboard and CPU, when i installed my GPU RTX 4070, Windows is ignoring my GPU and not detecting drivers every time i install NVidia driver game ready. I can't even change my monitor refresh rate to 144 hz.

My computer spec :

Mobo : B650m MSI Mortar Wifi

CPU : Ryzen 7600x

GPU : Geforce RTX Gigabyte 4070.

I have :

- Updated both GPU & Motherboard bios

- Trying installing fresh using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

- Installing fresh Windows 11

- Trying to install in safe mode,

- etc.

It's frustating i can not utilize my GPU, can not access any game.

I don't think GPU hardware is the problem as i have play it before with Gigabyte MoBo B450m & Ryzen 3600.

as per now, 3rd party apps such as AIDA64 and others can read my GPU, but somehow Windows 11 failed to see this.

Please help me....