Nvidia Gives Fermi GF100 Official GPU Names

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom](hint for everyone else before they go digging: in all of the above cases, the Radeon bested the GeForce across the board, and at worst cost the same, while in other cases, was up to $100US cheaper)[/citation]

There is a reason I lean toward ati. This, bang for buck even when it isn't faster, and currently they've got a brilliant naming system where when they announce a new product line you know the relative performance of everything. Just to prove it, 6670, 6770, 6850, 6870.

AMD also has a pretty good naming setup with a more streamlined set of stuff to get.

I won't refuse to buy intel/nvidia nor just bash them. I'm typing this on my p-7801u gaming laptop which is intel/nvidia.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Nvidia must have something against odd numbers those people who who the numbers should sue nvidia for discriminating i mean no 1xx cards now no 3xx cards? something sounds fishy to me

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'm not really getting why Nvidia is getting so flamed for this one. ok, so they missed the mark a bit, but they're coming out with a heavily modified architecture to aid in the adoption of GPGPU-computing, which they have pushed heavily lately. Whether or not it will be better than ATI in games, it's still going to be more versatile for other applications - too bad most of the consumers don't give a damn about GPGPU computing.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]annisman[/nom]"Fun fact of the week: We have no idea when these cards will launch, also we hope you have invested in multiple power supplies to go along with your multiple new lcd displays for our proprietary Physx and 3D Vision technology!"^ fixed the link for you Tom's.[/citation]

Maybe they should try a package deal like they did with the 3D Glasses, LCD and graphics card. Instead, you get GTX470 with 1100watt PSU or GTX480 with 1200watt PSU. For dual GPU card...you get graphics card and a small nuclear reactor to power it.....or a custom, nVidia only case that comes with dual 1200watt PSUs (1 for the system, 1 for graphics).

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i would rather wait a long time and have a really good product form nvidia rather than have them rush a product and be it crap. take a look at ATI, their new cards aren't fault free

hannibal

Distinguished

Guite likely next ATI will be minor upgrade. At best it's die shrink, but it can allso be like a little twiek like 4870 -> 4890 upgrade. Who knows, but even the later will keep ATI in the game! Considerin better yealds and competative prises. 15-20% boost to 5870 speed will be enought to put that "too" near Ferni products considering the prize difference...

Does anyone know when ATI should start produsing their 32nm (28nm) bulk products? Is next summer too soon? Most propable...

According this: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/12/14/amd-to-launch-globalfoundries-gpu-production-in-2011.aspx
The production should start 2011, so not smaller nodes this year. This allso mean that 5870 can be considered a fast chip a guite long time!

My concern is they won't be able to make a good mid range card of the likes of the 6600GT, the 7600GT, and the 6800GS / 7900GS again which overclock well ... for the price.

I bought an 8600GT and was so dissappointed I ignored the rest of the 8 series, and jumped to a 260GTX 216.

Lets hope they produce something surprising this time ...

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS