Nvidia, Google Release Shield Android TV Device, Starts At $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc14s

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Its pretty simple to set up a vpn on an android device so geo blocking should be a non issue. (I use a vpn on my phone and laptop for work and on my desktop for uhh.. activities that my isp likes to send me notices for.

So... add in a 500GB HDD which is pretty much essential and you're paying nearly EXACTLY the same price as the XBOX ONE (if factoring games in bundle).

For an unproven device that's a pretty tough sell, and for those buying the $200 model only to discover they need to go buy an HDD soon... well I'd not be happy.

Love the concept... like NVidia... think it will fail.

GRID as a delivery sytem is just too problematic, not to mention the added cost to Stream games so we can... what SAVE money on a more expensive console? Help me out with the logic here?

Also, not sure how it will end up competing with Steam if we get some pretty competitive Steam models on the lower end.

Update:
I get there are streaming games and locally stored games, however to properly use this device it seems like we'd need:
a) a 500GB HDD or better for locally stored games, AND
b) a good network (more money) if even available for streaming games.

So any price advantage disappears for again what's a largely unproven product. When the PS4 and XBOX ONE will be adding streaming support as well it's really hard to recommend this device.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Stand - $29, Non-Gaming remote $49. God damn, that is spendy!

yeah but your getting a insane value on the box itself. It's the only 4k netflix streamer on the market. $200 gets you the $50 controller and a 4k Streaming or HARDWARE DECODE box.. thats worth price of admission all by itself to a lot of ppl.

the gaming aspect is just a bonus.. Also, Finally we can use "dish anywhere" on a set top box (since this is android) which lets you basically mooch satellite TV for free off your parents dish network account.

4K is a good point, though I think it's still a hard sell. It sits comparable to last-gen consoles in price and behind current consoles (though comparable to XBOX ONE when we compare $300 model with HDD).

As I said, if you want to justify streaming games you'll have to pay more for internet bandwidth.

If you really want 4K there are soon to be a lot of devices that will support this for as little as $30 likely (such as a new 4K Chromecast). Sure that's media only but again the NVidia box is unproven so it's relying on early adopters and streaming success to get traction.

It's simply in a weird niche area that I think will have a hard time succeeding.

(On the other hand, lots of confusion on whether we'll get updated XBOX ONE and PS4 consoles. Nobody wants different hardware on same consoles... I think the best approach would be to include the new encoder in future versions but offer a USB adapter if that's technically possible)

Long story short, for most people in the near-future I think they'll end up going:
a) console refresh (or addon) if that happens, or
b) ROKU or Chromecast 4K update

4K on console:
While Netflix currently requires an H.265 decoder, it's theoretically possible to use the APU in the XBOX ONE or PS4 to decode the incoming H.265 4K video signal.

I suspect there's enough processing power already, or if not that the decoding algorithm could be improved to make it so (especially if it's only in x86 format and not utilizing the GPU at all).

Anyway, I should shut up now.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
4K on console:
While Netflix currently requires an H.265 decoder, it's theoretically possible to use the APU in the XBOX ONE or PS4 to decode the incoming H.265 4K video signal.

I suspect there's enough processing power already, or if not that the decoding algorithm could be improved to make it so (especially if it's only in x86 format and not utilizing the GPU at all).

There is a rumor that they're working on just that. Both already support outputting 4K @ 30fps (enough for video) so the hardware is there.

billymac10

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I like the concept of this device. A 4K streaming box with natively enhanced Android games plus the ability to stream games at 1080p at 60fps via GRID. I know eventually GRID will cost something but even with the cost it will be a great way to decide if you even like the game before paying full price. Another aspect no one mentions is that you could in-home stream PC games from your main rig, effectively negating the need for a gaming HTPC. I guess I just don't get all the hate.

Full disclosure I have a Shield Tablet and love it so maybe I have more faith than most.

WatchingUser

Reputable
May 29, 2015
4K on console:

There is a rumor that they're working on just that. Both already support outputting 4K @ 30fps (enough for video) so the hardware is there.
In fact if you look at the specs between the Xbox one or PS4 you will notice the shield is only 1/4 the processing power. The only time the directly tried to compare is the server farm vs the Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.