Nvidia GPUs Used for Serious Business. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Seriously, gamers are paying for the majority of R&D and production of these cards for serious business. I hope Nvidia can be more serious with us and AMD/ATI.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
nvidia stopped giving a shit about gamers a while ago, you do know that right? i think it was around the time cuda was introduced, thats when they went there separate ways.

gamers still get the benefits for now, but in all seriousness, i wouldn't be surprised if we saw nvidia make a "gpu" that was no longer a gpu, and just a means od accelerating cuda code only. right now they are eairly stage, so they have to rely on gamers still to push the sales to cover r&d, but in 5 years, they may push passed gamers, because big businesses, they will fork over 1000$+ a card, up to what 4000$. all you have to get the to do is get hooked on what the cards can do.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
well, they just forced feed their CUDA down the throat of industry. AMD/ATI Stream has not been as aggressive. I wish they were. But we will see.

G

heck, why does the world need humans anymore? we've got GPU's for everything :))

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]nvidia stopped giving a shit about gamers a while ago, you do know that right? i think it was around the time cuda was introduced, thats when they went there separate ways. gamers still get the benefits for now, but in all seriousness, i wouldn't be surprised if we saw nvidia make a "gpu" that was no longer a gpu, and just a means od accelerating cuda code only. right now they are eairly stage, so they have to rely on gamers still to push the sales to cover r&d, but in 5 years, they may push passed gamers, because big businesses, they will fork over 1000$+ a card, up to what 4000$. all you have to get the to do is get hooked on what the cards can do.[/citation]

But if the future have games developed on Nvidia to be played on Ati, it's still good for gamers! There's something for everyone & what they're willing to pay. If they weren't interested in graphics, why are they still trying to make ION & Tegra? It's not that they don't try, but who's making it hard for people to buy?

[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]Seriously, gamers are paying for the majority of R&D and production of these cards for serious business. I hope Nvidia can be more serious with us and AMD/ATI.[/citation]
No man. Businesses buy more and pay more. Why do you think the nvidia version of firepro is so expensive?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you notice how hard they are pushint the main gpu, or at least how much they try to screw over the competitors cards? read up a bit on it, they are willing to push it that hard, or at least use to, and now after fermi they all but abandoned talking to gamers and focus so much more on the business side.

if they cared about ion and tegra, at all, they would try to push those just as hard but they just dont.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]No man. Businesses buy more and pay more. Why do you think the nvidia version of firepro is so expensive?[/citation]

because it can be? with cuda they have a lock down on code that can be run on there cards, making major features their cards only. and because they work, they can sell them for a crap ton, that and driver support, where you get one on one with a person and describe the problem, and sometimes can get drives to fix it same day.

and trust me, the reason you pay that extra few thousand is for the driver support.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]No man. Businesses buy more and pay more. Why do you think the nvidia version of firepro is so expensive?[/citation]

Thats just silly... They just cover the cost of R&D for CAD drivers. And business is a marginal market at best.

It is smart of them to be moving in this direction but big business needs to foot the bill for this R&D instead of the gamer. Second they need to extend a balanced feature set across the entire product line so that it would appeal to most buyers regardless of budget. I am disappointed when a 336 shader part only performs the same as a 240 shader part. That being the GTX 460 vs the GTX 285. I wish that they had done better with optimization and ATI failed on the 5830. They shouldn't have cut the rop count as they did and had they not it would have been more popular than it is now. The GTS 450 is overpriced for the performance it delvers and is beaten by older cards like the GTS 250 or the GTX 260.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I said "NO" to Nvidia and HP when their faulty GPU bricked my laptop and neither HP nor Nvidia would fix it for less than $400. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... shame on me.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Haha! Did you just say Nvidia's version of FirePro? Nvidia developed their Quadros before that FirePro. Plus FirePro cannot compare to Quadro 6000. Quadro 6000 is worth more than FirePro V9800, it can produce performance over 50% more, and let's compare prices: Quadro 6000 = ~$5000, FirePro V9800 = ~$3500. Nvidia also has better SLI scaling, better driver and support with CUDA, and it made better movies :D

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Since Nvidia came out with their new fermi chips their new drivers are causing my game rig to overheat. Coincidence, I don't know. I did switch to Windows 7 64 from XP also so I am not really sure.
I have a good Corsair 630W PS and run one GTX 285 on a X38MB with a Q9650 CPU.
One HD, one DVD and a SB Audigy, thats it.
I use to be able to play all my games at 1920 x 1200 now if I do it does not take long before the the video cars sucks so much juice my PS gets hot as I start getting MB error beeps identifying a video problem.
Been keeping my games at 720P resolution and everything is OK.
Kinda pisses me off because it use to work fine. I don't have the old drivers to revert to to try out.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]well, they just forced feed their CUDA down the throat of industry. AMD/ATI Stream has not been as aggressive. I wish they were. But we will see.[/citation]

CUDA is much more developed than AMD/ATI's Stream. Stream can't compete with CUDA and will never be able to do so.

G

it makes sense in a twisted sort of way

think of the immense computing power behind a GPU, average it spends some 40% of it's time under utilized and as much as 80% for non hardcore gamers, you want to sell more cards then you want to add a value proposition that would entice non gamers as well, nothing better then a GPU that can assist your CPU

and for all those that bemoan the fact that gamers are subsidizing research for business solutions, alot of consumer technologies are refined in the business world then released to the general public. CUDA (my preference would of course be OpenCL) could give a serious kick for gamers, right now games are poorly optimized for multi thread multi CPU systems, once the business side figures out how to implement CUDA those codes can be reversed engineered for game engines to give a serious boost to performance

heck with AMD fusion the line between CPU and GPU could well blur, we may be moving to a time when computing power is no longer states in MHz but rather flops and performance is quotes as a complete system rather then separate entities

a sad part of me realize this would inevitably lead to a dumbing down of the technology.....

Status
Not open for further replies.