Nvidia GTX 1070: The Full Specifications

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm, nostalgia. Still have my 32MB TNT2 ( paid $120 ) and 12MB Voodoo2 ( paid $220 ) in my Win98 box sitting in storage.

Easily .... i has greater market penetration than all of AMDs 2xx and 3xx series combined. I cant help but wonder given the price of the 770 and 1070, why nVdia broke the 970 at $320 .... and wouldn't be surprised if it was a calculated attempt and grabbing market / mind share at the expense of profits.

And here's reason to pay no attention to these early release cards:

1. Later stepping boards will have bug fixes and other tweaks ... remember the EVGA 970 SC where the early cards had 1 of the 3 heat pipes missing the GPU ?

2. Third party offerings will have improved cooling and componentry which will result in substantial performance differences. Testing show that FE cards are throttling .. while 3rd party offerings are not.

http://videocardz.com/60838/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-is-much-better-than-founders-edition

NVIDIA’s own reference design suffers from severe throttling just after few minutes. It probably wouldn’t be that bad if not the frequency spikes. While average clock is somewhere around officially stated boost clock, those spikes cause micro-stuttering, which negatively affects gaming experience.

Hardware.info:

Founders Edition suffers from a horrendous amount of throttling and it runs +- 150 MHz lower all the time.

Meanwhile, MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X generates almost a straight line for GPU frequency (~1910 MHz), with no spikes and rather constant sub-70 C temperature. This should mean that the gaming experience will be much better, and card should theoretically generate better results in most tests. Also according to H.I. this is also the best custom design they so far tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.