Nvidia GTX 1080, 1070 Display Port Incompatible With Vive HMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since a DP-to-HDMI adapter works we know it's not a hardware issue that can't be overcome.

I'm not sure what's going on with NVidia, but keep in mind if they respond too early (before a fix) then people also freak out.

It's odd that there is even an issue though since the entire point of STANDARDS is to ensure things work together. I'm not a technician in this field so I can't comment on how the certification process works.

I suspect it will be a driver fix and come before the end of July.

goldstandard

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Can I ask what could be a dumb question? Why don't you run the monitor on the DVI port (I do this because it supports my 2560x1440 native monitor and the HDMI does not) and run the vive on the HDMI?

goldstandard

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Why don't you just use the DVI port for your monitor (which is what I do to run my 2560x1440 native monitor as HDMI doesn't support it) and run the Vive through the HDMI?
Isn't that a simple fix?

Sven Viking

Commendable
May 16, 2016
It's not just related to the Vive's DisplayPort-to-HDMI conversion. A standard DisplayPort-to-HDMI adaptor that worked with earlier generations of Nvidia cards fails to work with my MSI 1070 Gaming X when connected to a monitor or TV. A DVI-to-HDMI adaptor works, though.

Ionlydothis

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Normally one could say this is a launch issue or something but I call BS. The cornerstone of this series is that if you're coming from a 980 Ti that you'd still see a massive gain in VR. And they couldn't be bothered to make sure Displayport worked? The superior connection?

ScaryFastdotca

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
This is the same for the Oculus Rift and some cards. I bought a displayport to HDMI adapter to use my Rift on my GTX 970 and it doesn't work. Instead I just moved a monitor from HDMI to the Displayport adapter, and plugged the Rift directly into HDMI, problem solved. My Microsoft Wireless display adapter also won't work when plugged into the same displayport to hdmi adapter.

zippard

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Or you just use a $10 Diplayport -> HDMI adapter for your monitor, so your HDMI is free for the Vive, my 970 GTX doesn't have the DP++ Logo, works anyway.

Nathan_74

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
I use a EVGA 1080 with a Vive every day. I just connected my tv to the displayport with an adapter. No big whoop. Works perfectly - they sell them at wal-mart for some of that sweet instant gratification. Amazon sells them cheaper if you have prime.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
You guys do realize that using an adapter does not make the issue go away, right? Also, asking consumers to spend money on adapters because your products doesn't behave like it was supposed to is not the best answer.

Then again, as az_fred said, it may not be a driver issue, so that's probably why they are taking their time to solve this. Driver hack? Offer refunds? Free adapters? "You are holding it wrong" statement?

ShieldSean

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
So... go buy a $30 cable and plug the TV into the DisplayPort, and use the HDMI port for the Vive. Problem solved, without weeks of waiting for comment, or (god forbid) code, from the manufacturer. Considering the expense of the 1080 and the Vive, surely the complainer can afford to solve this, problem. I've yet to find a TV or monitor that can't run over a DisplayPort to HDMI cable on my 1080, and the Vive amazingly still works.

This is a pathetic display of a sense of entitlement, "Oh it doesn't work, go complain on the internets and get the media involved!" What kind of idiot thinks that's a better solution than going and getting a new cable. It's also a little damning on Tom's that y'all didn't tell your alleged friend to try a cable... or even as a "respected" publication to just give him one out of your test labs. Look, I'm sure nVidia should've caught this, or have tested their VR setup hardware with all the VR kits, but to waste a users time with no actual solution, and one that is cheap, easy, and readily available, is, I would say, worse than nVidia missing a test case on their newest board.

How about Vive is incompatible with the DP on nvidia 1000 series.
Now let's troll Vive fanboys :)
On a serious note, it's a problem. very small one, with easy workarounds and without harm.
Did not stop me from buying one.
Probably will be addressed in some update

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Again guys, this is a complete non-issue. If you bothered to read the forums, the solution is simple. Use a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor for your TV or HDMI equipped monitor and use the native HDMI output for the Vive. I actually OWN both products, and this works. It's a simple solution, and it costs you less than $20. For someone who just spent $600 on a graphics card and $800 on the Vive, an extra $20 is nothing! Note that this isn't an issue for anyone who has a DisplayPort equipped TV or monitor, just the SMALL minority who will use a TV with HDMI with the Vive. My guess is the people here complaining don't even OWN the gear they are complaining about and are just using this as an excuse to bash Nvidia! To those people, I say "GET A LIFE!"

The problem is that if another company made the same error there would be way more people complaining about it and acting like it was the end of the world and a deal breaker. I don't think we should give Nvidia a free pass on this one. Just like we shouldn't give AMD a free pass on the out of spec PCI-E power draw on the RX-480.

The thing that the boot problem of 1440p 144hz monitors with pascal cards is much more adequate to poke nvidia.
This VR "issue" seems to be just a pathetic try to say "hey look they have some issue !!! it can not do any harm like ours, but they have ISSUE" :)

The AMD issue most likely doesn't cause any harm at all. Igor, Tomshardware's writer who wrote the follow-up article (which I hope you read), said he did not expect anything to be harmed from it. People who did have motherboard die on them, it could have been a coincidence or they had other heat problems and really old crappy motherboards.

It does not surprise me... I've always had issues connecting different monitor and TV flavors to my nVidia cards (past and present). That is why I don't use anything nVidia for HTPCs. And no, Intel is actually worse, haha.

That being said, funny irony for this to happen to a "VR Champion" touted card.

Cheers!

I agree that killing MB or setting it on fire is very improbable, but it can definitely cause instability with budget boards.
And just to remind you, RX 480 is a BUDGET card. it would be ridiculously ineffective/imbalanced to put it in a computer with 150-200$ MB.
So even though it can be solved by lowering power target, I consider it much more annoying and more "serious" issue than any of the 3 found in Pascal since release.

No one even mentioned Intel...

The original Pentium FVID bug, the B2 chipset bug, the TSX bug, the skylake Prime 95 bug, and there are tons more..

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

They have? Originally, it was only Tom's Hardware, if I recall correctly.

I, for one, would like to see if this happened to anybody running the card at stock in a decent system (i.e. one that hasn't been ragged to hell and back, and doesn't have a cheap PSU nor airflow issues). I'm genuinely interested.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

How is a card with the performance of the 970 "budget"? I don't get how we've started calling $200-$250 cards budget all of a sudden. Where's the mainstream gone? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.