Question Nvidia GTX 1080ti dying

RedamnTion

Prominent
Nov 26, 2022
Hi guys, my PC is currently running the nvidia 1080ti as a graphics card and I've been using it for around 6 years now. Recently I’ve been experiencing occasional screen glitches which force me to restart my computer, especially so if I try play games such as Apex.

I have 2 questions if that’s okay:
1) Does this mean my graphics card is dying and I need to replace it

2) Can I simply replace my graphics card without replacing my entire setup? Or would it be more advisable to build another PC from scratch?

Thanks a lot in advance for the advice guys!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Complete system specs, please.

There have been a couple of bad Nvidia drivers as of late. I cannot recall the entire version, but ".22" caused quite a bit of widespread issue and was quickly replaced with 526.47 which apparently was also buggy, and then quickly with 526.98 which for me has been stable.
Might be worth trying a new driver.

Are you monitoring temps? Has the GPU been cleaned regularly? Ever repasted?

RedamnTion

Prominent
Nov 26, 2022
Complete system specs, please.

There have been a couple of bad Nvidia drivers as of late. I cannot recall the entire version, but ".22" caused quite a bit of widespread issue and was quickly replaced with 526.47 which apparently was also buggy, and then quickly with 526.98 which for me has been stable.
Might be worth trying a new driver.

Are you monitoring temps? Has the GPU been cleaned regularly? Ever repasted?

Thanks for the swift reply!! For the full build it’s:
  1. i7-7700 3.6GHz
  2. ASUS ROG Strix B250G Gaming MATX
  3. 16GB Team Elite
  4. 16GB Team Elite
  5. Samsung 960EVO
  6. Toshiba 3TB SATA3
  7. Coolermaster V650F/650W 80+Gold
  8. 11GD5X ASUS GTX1080Ti Strix Gaming
  9. IN WIN 301 Black Edition Micro-ATX
  10. Thermaltake Riing 12RGB Radiator Fans x3

in response to your questions, firstly I don’t exactly know how to clean a gpu, I’ve just opened the glass case and dusted as much as possible? Second no I’ve never repasted

thanks!!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice build.

You don't mention temps, but if all you are doing is "wiping" you need to blow this machine out. You can buy cans of compressed air, but they only do so much. There are specific blowers made for said available cheap, or you can use something like an electric leaf blower on low. Take the panels off, take to the driveway and just blow inside, at the fans/fins etc. Don't hold too close to fan blades directly.

DO NOT use a vacuum or an air compressor (unless it is water filtrated).

I think this is what I would try first as if you haven't cleaned the fins out in the 6 years you have owned it is probably overheating. Hopefully not to a point of damage as that is still a quite viable GPU. You could readily spend $300+ on a better card than that today.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
You have a decent PC.

If the GPU is really going / gone bad, you don't need to change anything except install a new graphics card.

Just make sure the new card's power requirements don't overwhelm your current power supply, which is rated at 650 W.
Just keep in mind, many of nVidia's top cards are very power hungry.

This can help you calculate power requirements: Power Supply Calculator

RedamnTion

Prominent
Nov 26, 2022
Nice build.

You don't mention temps, but if all you are doing is "wiping" you need to blow this machine out. You can buy cans of compressed air, but they only do so much. There are specific blowers made for said available cheap, or you can use something like an electric leaf blower on low. Take the panels off, take to the driveway and just blow inside, at the fans/fins etc. Don't hold too close to fan blades directly.

DO NOT use a vacuum or an air compressor (unless it is water filtrated).

I think this is what I would try first as if you haven't cleaned the fins out in the 6 years you have owned it is probably overheating. Hopefully not to a point of damage as that is still a quite viable GPU. You could readily spend $300+ on a better card than that today.

Thanks for this! I never thought about overheating but after another spazz out I touched the card and it was absolutely boiling hot. Maybe I'll try figure out how to deep clean it and repaste it if I can figure it out. Fingers crossed. I shall keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for the advice! :D

RedamnTion

Prominent
Nov 26, 2022
You have a decent PC.

If the GPU is really going / gone bad, you don't need to change anything except install a new graphics card.

Just make sure the new card's power requirements don't overwhelm your current power supply, which is rated at 650 W.
Just keep in mind, many of nVidia's top cards are very power hungry.

This can help you calculate power requirements: Power Supply Calculator

Thank you very much for this!! So in the unfortunate circumstances the GPU is actually dead, its really as simple as buying a new GPU and plug and play? What GPU would you recommend in that scenario?

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Thank you very much for this!! So in the unfortunate circumstances the GPU is actually dead, its really as simple as buying a new GPU and plug and play? What GPU would you recommend in that scenario?

You're welcome!

Choosing a card depends on what resolution your monitor has (1080, 1440, etc).

If I were looking for a great card to play at 1080 / 1440, the 6650 XT would be my choice right now; Tom's Hardware just posted an article about it : MSI RX 6650 XT for $249 Represents the Best Current GPU Value

3060 TI is also great (about $450 with Cyber Monday deals), otherwise they can be had for around $550 and up.

PS: Either card should work with your existing PSU.

Reactions: RedamnTion