Nvidia GTX 1180 Expected in July: What You Need to Know

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another possible one I noticed, that I didn't see mentioned, is that the video's title "Be For The Game" might be alluding to the launch of the "Big Format Gaming Displays" that were announced over half a year ago.

Aug 21, 2018
Here's just a random question I've had for awhile now... Why not use the product moniker 2090? They have 2070, 2080, and 2080 Ti. The extra "Ti" cost about 50% more than the 2080... why not just call it the 2090? Why not use that number? It's even a different chip than the 2080 (TU104 vs. TU102)... yet they just slap a "Ti" on the end like it's some kind of special flavor of 2080 or something... just use 2090 already!!! Just a nit pick, sorry.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I totally agree.

...however, the reason they didn't is probably because cards like the GTX 295, GTX 590, and GTX 690 were all dual-GPU cards. So, to Nvidia faithful, the 9x cards already had that meaning.

Also, if you look back at the GTX 780 Ti, it actually did use the same GPU as the GTX 780 (and also the original Titan). After that, I guess x80 Ti sort of became shorthand for "Titan lite", because the GTX 980 Ti shared a GPU with the original Titan X, but not the GTX 980. So, you can see how it evolved to be this way.

That said, I fully agree that they must know they're not going to make dual-GPU cards of these, so just forget the ancient history (2012 was the last x90 card) and reuse x90, already! Then, save Ti for upgraded versions of the base card, like the GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1070 Ti.

It's not as if the naming scheme is a totally sacred cow. They already switched to using 1000's to separate the generations, so why not also change this?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Definitely the graphics card.

I once sold a working car for about a RTX 2080, but it needed a couple RTX 2080 Ti's worth of repairs.

old_rager

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
What I'd like to know is if it will support HDMI 2.1 - and therefore also enable true 4K HEVC 10bpc HDR at 4:4:4... That would be nice to know seeing that the GTX 1080 Ti does not... (limit on HDMI 2.0a or 2.0b).

I can't tell if this post is being serious or not-so-serious, considering Tom's Hardware has already reviewed both of these cards, now called the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti. : P

Status
Not open for further replies.