Nvidia GTX 1180 Expected in July: What You Need to Know

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12338/samsung-starts-mass-production-of-gddr6-memory

Another advantage is cost.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...I still have sincere doubts that Nvidia would eclipse their pro grade cards with a 16 GB gaming/enthusiast model. More likely I could see the next generation Titan go to 16 GB (all they need to do is add a fourth layer to the stacks) and up the price to say 4,000$. The fact it is not NVlink compatible will keep it in its own niche.

During the Maxwell generation both the GTX Titan X and Quadro M6000 had 12 GB. This caused a situation where people were opting for the 999$ Titan X over the 5,000$ Quadro as specs were pretty much the same (with the Titan having the same core count as the M6000 and higher memory bandwidth and similar floating point performance). The M6000 was upgraded to 24 GB yet the price was not increased which gave it the edge.

As to the 1180 my thinking it may be upgraded to 12 GB but not 16. 16 GB would compete with their 2,000$ P5000 and 7,000$ GP 100 as well as have a higher memory bandwidth than both.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Titan Xp uses 12 x 8 Gbit chips.

Titan V uses 3 x 4-high HBM2 stacks.

The number of memory banks is also tied to the memory bandwidth (12 * 32-bits is how Titan Xp arrives at 384-bit, for instance). So, the numbers aren't entirely arbitrary. They have to work within certain constraints.

As valuable as the workstation segment is to them, I doubt they use it as the starting point to derive their entire consumer GPU stack.

evilpaul

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
TweakTown is a lot worse about reliability of their "rumors" than Wccftech (which is not great either). I seriously doubt that the new card is going to be double the price of the old ones.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@evilpaul tweaktown doesn't claim to have any source for this info, rumours or otherwise. If you read the TT article, they just come up with the numbers all on their own based on (pretty misguided, in my opinion) speculation.

Rexer

Distinguished
Well.. . Paying over a 12 hundred for a video card? That effectively prices me outta Nvidia's market but not the usual way. Not that I won't pay over a grand for a video card, nor do I think fewer gamers and miners will pay four digits.
Most guys I know barely scrape enough cash from the family budget to get an Nivdia 1080 or a Vega. Lol. I'm humored by a couple of my friends's wives don't want me around their home or calling. The best complaint I heard from the wife of one of our game/squad members was, "I don't believe it. Josh just spent this months' grocery money on a dumb part for his computer. What are the kids' gonna eat? The youngest ate the receipt for it." I didn't say a word. Heh. They live a few blocks from Micro Center. No chance that card is going back there.
When the Nivida 970 hit the market, we had 12 guys of maybe 8 were regulars. We're down to 6 and 4 regulars.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

\seealso TitanXp

Well... if it's for some group activity, I'd try to find a way to help out. Like, couldn't you all just join a mining pool to help fund each others' hardware purchases, or something?

Or what about giving him a good deal on your old cards, when you upgrade?

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
It's a bit unclear whether the price speculation in the article is in regards to the Founders Edition (which until a few years ago seemed to be only ~$100), or the OEM varieties.

It would also be interesting to know if a major price increase would be attributable to more expensive memory, because of higher costs at the fab, or, as I suspect, simple demand and their plan to sate the appetites of the proletariat with handicapped cards at a later date, after they've soaked all the folks who can pay more. Not that theirs anything wrong with that.

My recommended strategy is to buy NVIDIA *STOCK*, then use the dividends plus maybe a share or two every couple years to pay for your new cards. Bonus: You're then basically buying from yourself.

Rexer

Distinguished

Give away used parts? Gone there done that and still doing that. Motherboards, PSUs, GPUs, when I buy something new I give the old one to whoever needs it. Even pay shipping. Speaking of shipping. I sent a psu and a big 390x video card to a friend in Kentucky and paid $49 to get it there, UPS. Wow. a few years back I sent a 60lb box near that price.
But a good thing is, prices on components are beginning to settle back down. Lol. Last March was a bad time to build a new rig. If I would've waited till now, I'd save at least $400.00 on the total. gpu, motherboard, cpu, ram, 1tb ssd.
Also, one of our members is hiding a mining rig at some corporate office in Renton, WA. I wish I could say which one. But it's the end of a life line for two sqaud dudes if news got out. What we do to save the blood line.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I doubt I'd get away with it, if I tried. I have a small hoard of late-model GPUs at work, for deep learning. For the past 9 months or so, people tend to look my way when reminding us not to do any cryptomining.

I'm half-expecting office cryptomining to show up in one of our corporate ethics training modules.

Rexer

Distinguished

It's no surprise when old office equipment turns up missing. But had to call my buddy out when I found a 580 8gb was missing from my garage.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

What kind of person casually steals a $300 video card from someone else? It would be different if they left trash in your car or stole a pack of gum, but taking an expensive piece of equipment is way beyond reasonable.

I had to call my buddy out when my 70" wall mounted OLED TV was missing from my living room.

Rexer

Distinguished

What's the fuss about? You don't have friends that borrow? You have any close friends? Friends will always be friends. It's O.K. to let them raid fridge for a beer. I can borrow his mower if I need to. He knows where to find me. I even bench test my stuff on his computers. It's not like he's stealing my car to sell or getting handsie with my wife.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Sorry about that my dude. It sounded like your friend stole $300 of merchandise from your garage without permission. I jumped to conclusions there.
Instead, it seems that he just borrowed $300 of merchandise from your garage without permission.

Rexer

Distinguished

No problemo! I've made the mistake of not giving details before so I apologize to you, too. Lol. I sometimes mention that I've been using a 2000 work station computer and I fail to tell them I use it as a monitor stand. It's heavy and built like a tank. Since I offered no further details, I catch flak for being a 'stoneager'.
Stuff just accumulates when I'm working and around computers. I often buy spare parts such as motherboards or CPUs. I'm also curious about spare screws and parts after I finish a job. Speaking of spare parts, last month I was stumped to find a brand new 1tb hard drive with a shipping receipt. Newegg history said I bought 3 yrs. ago with other parts. Thinking that I forgot to buy it, I ordered another one. Well, lol. it's nice have a spare. Have a good day.

Jul 28, 2018
It's now almost August the 1180 is still a rumour, still not a leak from any of the major FAB's, not a single copy of a shipping document, not a word from Jensen. Sorry folks I think Tom means July 2019.

LOL... and the article was once again published... by Avram Piltch August 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Not a word about any updates... AND displaying ALL the old speculated release dates that firmly said that we would have had its official announcement about a week and a half to two weeks ago.

neblogai

Distinguished
Seeing all the old rumors, some of them already proved wrong, gives an idea: how about Toms puts every single rumor with their original source into one article, and then, on GPUs official release release, marks good sources with green, and bad ones- with red, for everyone to see?

Maybe that's because nobody cares about that when talking about Nvidia GPUs? Last I checked this was about an upcoming Nvidia GPU. But since you brought up AMD, when are they going to offer competition to Nvidia's flagship xx80 Ti GPU line? Their Fury X was supposed to be a 980 Ti destroyer according to all the AMD GPU fanboys and it was quite a ways from that.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not really. ...not that I get what the point of @dimar's message actually was.

Man, why are you trying to stir up trouble? Fury X is ancient history, by now. What possible good can come of bringing it up, here?

AMD has already said they're not introducing any new GPUs, this year. They've also published unsubstantiated claims about the relative performance improvement of 7 nm Vega, and it doesn't look like it'll take back the crown. At least, not in a single-die configuration.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-7nm-gpu-vega-gaming,37228.html

Because AMD has failed to find a competitor to Nvidia's flagship. If others are going to bring up Nvidia not supporting Freesync, I'll respond in similar fashion. I get sick of the constant Nvidia bashing around here by people who only show up when it's an Intel or Nvidia article to make a snide comment on them (yes, you know who you are). If someone doesn't like Nvidia for a GPU solution because G-sync costs more, then fine. They can buy an AMD card and Freesync monitor. Same with Intel vs. AMD for that matter.

^^See above. Nvidia doesn't have to do a thing but what they want to do. BTW: Nvidia has their own adaptive sync in the control panel and it works fine. Also, unlike VESA AS, it doesn't require a display port interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.