Nvidia GTX 1180 Expected in July: What You Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Such a shame to see such low quality posts on Toms Hardware. Quoting "anonymous sources" and websites reposting same posts from "sources" known for making information up just like that.
But i already got used to the quality of articles on toms hardware going lower and lower with each day.

May 16, 2018
@Zaporro....Anonymous sources don't necessarily mean not true. I take everything until actual release of product with a grain of salt. However certain people in the know may have to share as an anonymous source otherwise they may be easily found out in breach of contract and risk losing their Job/Career. Again it's very possible it is all made up but you can't just dismiss all anonymous source reports as sometimes the source has to protect themselves.

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Based on the rumored specs, it looks like AMD has a golden opportunity here to one-up Nvidia! These specs are really underwhelming.

rygar

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I saw another rumor yesterday saying anonymous sources inside Nvidia told them that they were going to skip these and go directly to 7nm, releasing around November.

rygar

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
@John - everything I have heard about AMDs card is that 7nm Vega will come in around the 2 year old 1080 in performance with a decent price drop.

Everything about 7nm Navi is saying that it will not be a consumer card and if they do decide to release it, it will be prosumer like the Titan V ($3,000 range)

Based on that, the 1180 with either of the rumored specs would completely smoke 7nm Vega.

I already know the names of all the upcoming GPUs.

GTX 1180 Wallet Hurting Edition

GTX 1170 A Little Easier On The Wallet Edition

GTX 1160 Wish I Could Afford One Of The Higher Editions Edition

GTX 1150 Poor B*stards Edition

And there you have it, folks. The suspense is over!

You forgot the

GTX 1180TI Total Wallet Annihilation Edition

Comes bundled with Total Annihilation

revanchrist

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
This is a really poor post by an amateur author. There are wrong info everywhere. Especially when the author mentioned PNY is the manufacturer of Nvidia's Founder Edition card. That's just wrong. PNY doesn't even manufacture any graphics card by themselves. They outsource the graphics card manufacturing and designing process to AIB giant Palit. Which is why all PNY graphics cards are identical to either Palit's very own design or one of Palit's sub-branding like Galax/KFA, Inno3D and tonnes of other smaller brandings that exists only within China region.

Unless Nvidia is outsourcing their Founder's Edition for the 1100 series it should also be designed and built by Nvidia the same as the 1000 series.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-1080-founders-edition

"First and foremost the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition is a graphics card designed and built by NVIDIA engineers, who have hundreds of years of collective experience .... "

Feb 27, 2018
I know that it is a bit early for you to know the answers to my need-to-knows, but here are my questions.

1. What OS will the cards be compatible with ? (WIN7, WIN10, Lixus, etc)
2. What motherboards will be compatible ?
3. What CPUs will be compatible ? (without bottle necking)(can I use a I7-3770K)

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

A lot of people said that same statement with the 1080.

Then they got completely hosed off by a fire truck when the 1080 TI launched and the GTX 1080 MSRP dropped by $200.

Don't be that guy.

Wait until things level out.

1. The cards will be compatible with Win7, Win10, Linux. Same as every other graphics card released on the last 15 years being compatible with the current operating systems of those times. Of course Linux lacks directx, which leaves OpenGL, Vulkan and some others.

2. Motherboards with at least 1 PCI-E x16 slot

3. You can use an i7-3770k if you would like. It's 5 generations behind the latest, but you already know this so don't expect a miracle.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I have been waiting to upgrade my computer until a single graphics card can game at 4K 60Hz. Hopefully this can do it, but I will still probably wait until the 1180 ti is released and get that one or the AMD equivalent if that one is fast enough and cheaper.

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

As long as you stay away from the 1180 at launch, you'll be doing yourself a favor as Nvidia uses that as a way to gain money. When they know the 1180 TI will replace the 1180's price tag and offer higher performance.

But, the 1170 can be bought at launch, because those prices don't change very much.

Tanyac

Reputable
With graphics card prices as much as 200% higher than they were in September 2016, is now really a good time to be launching what will likely be an expensive product? One would think with the absurd price of graphics cards as they are now, and the fact that high launch prices are at a premium that sales would be less than favorable?

As much as some of my computers need replacements (They are running 770's), paying as much as $1500 AUD for a replacement card is not going to happen.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
..after the "disappointment" of the 980Ti (up until release was said would have 8 GB but hit the market with 6 instead) I am not taking much stock in a 16 GB 1180. I could see possibly 12 GB, and then, only if Nvidia upgrades the Titan V to 16 GB of HBM (effectively replacing the Quadro P5000) and/or adds NVLink support (to keep it from being "overshadowed" by a GTX card with fast GDDR6 memory).

Keep in mind the Quadro M6000 and Maxwell Titan-X which both had 12 GB as well as the same number of cores. Some pros began turning to the less expensive Titans until Nvidia upped the ante by doubling the VRAM of the top end Quadro to 24 GB without a price increase.

serge.m

Commendable
Apr 18, 2018
Judging by the general specs and the TDP values I don't think this will be as fast as the current 1080Ti, at best about the same as a 1080Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS