Nvidia H264 encoder vs Quick Sync???

Vitric9

Distinguished
I know that Intel quick sync is supposed to improve performance when decoding/encoding Video files but what are the advantages of H264 on the Nvidia GPU??? I don't feel t comfortable using my iGPU and CPU for the same tasks I would think that it woulfd get hotter. Plus I nver used so I don't know how fast it can encode. So I was using CUDA acceleration with adobe CS6 trial and it seemed to ork fine though I don't know if I was using it correctly. I renedered a few Videos on an i5 3570k with CUDA on and for a high quality 1080p video i took about real time....Feedback would be great

Astrosonu Higgs

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Today’s consumers demand superb picture clarity, stutter-free playback and multiple display connectivity options. The best way to achieve this is with NVIDIA® PureVideo® technology.

Watch DVD movies and videos on your desktop PC, notebook PC, mobile device, or HDTV without the annoying artifacts and imperfections of traditional PC-based video solutions. NVIDIA PureVideo technology is leveraged by the dedicated video processing core on the NVIDIA GPU and NVIDIA applications processors that delivers superb video with minimal CPU utilization and low power consumption.

H.264, WMV/VC-1, and MPEG-4 Hardware Acceleration
NVIDIA PureVideo provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, WMV/VC-1 and MPEG-4 HD and SD videos with minimal CPU usage.

Ultra-smooth Video:
Dedicated video processing core provides astonishingly fluid standard and high-definition video on your PC without stutter or skips.
Programmable video processor accelerates H.264, WMV/VC-1, and MPEG-4 high-definition movies.
Discrete video processing core offloads the CPU and 3D engine of complex video tasks, freeing the PC to run multiple applications simultaneously, while consuming less power.

Superb Picture Clarity:
Delivers crisp pictures by eliminating double images, blurring, and distortions.
Smoothes jagged edges with spatial temporal de-interlacing, inverse telecine, and advanced scaling technologies.

Precise, vivid colors on any display
Gamma, brightness, saturation, color temperature correction, and LCD sharpening provide lifelike pictures and vivid colors on any display.

Vitric9

Distinguished
Well right now I am using a i5 3570k with the stock fan and a PNY GTX 770 2Gb which has exceptional cooling, Note: This is the referenced base PCB but has an after marked cooler with 3 fans. It does get hot where I live already so The temps have gone up especially on the CPU. I am sawping out some thing and I do have a Hyper Evo 212 but I have it installed on my other part that I am going to use soon. I am getting into video editing and getting ready for college for a course that they have available here(Interactive and Motion Graphics) So I am trying to learn and try as many things as I find. Also I am trying to figure out the best way I can create Videos. I plan on uploading them to my channel which right now has a few gameplay videos. So I would like to own adobe creative suite CS6 but it is very expensive I used up a trial and did like. That is where the CUDA acceleration would come in to play. I am not sure what other Video Editing software uses CUDA. So aside from having a good gaming experience I would like to use my GPU for as many things as I can as long as the software does not set it on fire...;p.

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Don't worry about the fire.the days are off now. (Still you can use a Chinese low cost psu if you are fireworks fan boy or just short any connection on the running system.)

I would too prefer using GPU for most stuff (Because in most of cases it is faster at it.) Still if can complete a Encoding job in half hour instead of taking a full hour i would never mind taxing CPU.But if I am doing random stuff along with that on the system i would let the job on GPU so that other stuff has enough resources to run.