Nvidia Is Cutting Back Its Partners; Foxconn Axed

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Hmm Foxconn vid cards always seemed to be unspectacular in price, free stuff, and clock speeds. There motherboard support staff is annoying to (not really bad just irritating). Glad to see eVGA dropping nVidia exclusivity.

I think the picture is supposed to show Foxconn aint hangin with a sinking ship. nVidia may have offically cut them but I'm sure Foxconn called up nVidia and said we are not making money off your cards don't send us stuff anymore.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Thats sad to see stuff happening to nvidia, and its bad to all of us, beause if NVIDIA will not be able to compete with ATI (AMD), ATI will be able to raise their prices due to lack of competition =(

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]NeoDude007[/nom]Wait this picture makes it look like Nvidia is going down and FoxConn is surviving.[/citation]
That is what is happening, foxconn isn't exactly in a brilliant position but Nvidia is loosing key partners... and alot of customers it gained in the 8 series

Kinda sad that they lost alot of money on all those 8600GTs and derivative parts, I mean, the 8600 series wasn't that great anyway. nVidia really needs to come out with die shrinks for their 200 series to cut some costs. I haven't really seen any ATI gainward cards though. I was kinda disappointed to see that their 4870 Golden sample didn't have higher clocks than the Diamond Black 4870.

SquallStrife

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'd wager that this comes part and parcel with the current economic issues the world faces. Corporate partnerships will be strained as companies fight tooth and nail to keep themselves afloat.

red_star_77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'm not sure why people think that ATI cards are better then NVidia. I tried HD4870 and GTX280. HD4870 is nowhere near GTX280. Benchmark numbers will tell you this and that but in real gaming, GTX280 owns HD4870 in every aspect. Just one reason not to get ATI card is to deal with crappy ATI drivers along with crappy CCC written in .NET which is really slow. ATI should learned that .NET is not good platform for desktop apps. I'm programming in .NET for years now, i would not choose .NET to build any desktop app cause it simply sucks. DX10.0 performance in GTX280 is untouchable and so card is worth every penny even though it's a bit more expensive then HD4870.
HD4870X2 card is compared to single GTX280 in many cases which kind of is not fair but still by the time ATI releases their drivers to get game to fully use HD4870X2 which is a month or two, in meantime my GTX280/or GTX280SLI in my case eats game as soon as it is installed. That's just another reason. I compared DX10.0 performance on HD4870 to GTX280, ATI still have to catch up things. For sure it's nice to have competition, but claiming that ATI cards have edge is just stupid.
HD4870X2 don't know how much their card is slow till they see GTX280 SLI in action :)

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Given the rate of new GPU releases and the new D3D11 cards that are due out in the near future, I am sure nVidia will take the opportunity and bounce back from their mistakes.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
In a true free market, non competitive business interests fail to stay afloat.

Foxconn isn't as small as some would hope and nVidia isn't as large as some would like. Both need to make better business decisions.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
The 487[citation][nom]red_star_77[/nom]I'm not sure why people think that ATI cards are better then NVidia. I tried HD4870 and GTX280. HD4870 is nowhere near GTX280. Benchmark numbers will tell you this and that but in real gaming, GTX280 owns HD4870 in every aspect. Just one reason not to get ATI card is to deal with crappy ATI drivers along with crappy CCC written in .NET which is really slow. ATI should learned that .NET is not good platform for desktop apps. I'm programming in .NET for years now, i would not choose .NET to build any desktop app cause it simply sucks. DX10.0 performance in GTX280 is untouchable and so card is worth every penny even though it's a bit more expensive then HD4870.HD4870X2 card is compared to single GTX280 in many cases which kind of is not fair but still by the time ATI releases their drivers to get game to fully use HD4870X2 which is a month or two, in meantime my GTX280/or GTX280SLI in my case eats game as soon as it is installed. That's just another reason. I compared DX10.0 performance on HD4870 to GTX280, ATI still have to catch up things. For sure it's nice to have competition, but claiming that ATI cards have edge is just stupid.HD4870X2 don't know how much their card is slow till they see GTX280 SLI in action [/citation]
The 4870 cards direct competitor would be the 260 given the price point. The 280's competitor would the 4870x2(more or less), which owns the 280 in high res gaming, and whats to stop some one from throwing in 2 4870x2's to compete against the 280's in sli?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Look on the brightside. When another player enters the Graphics Chip business, like maybe a more competitive Intel Part. There will be a nVidia/AMD Merger and AMD will DOMINATE the Graphics chip business.

squiZZ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
@red star
the average consumer doesn't care about .net and CCC. They will ask their goto pc friend "hey whats a good but cheap card"
friend will reply
"hd4850 is a for sure thing. If you've got the extra cash the hd4870 is the way to go.
Iin meantime my GTX280/or GTX280SLI in my case eats game as soon as it is installed
In real world gaming the same thing can be said about the 8800gt, hd 3870 and up. These cards can run crysis on high with playable frame rates. After this experience, your left with steam games and cod4. the funny part is all these last gen cards will eat steam games and cod4 alive. This is why ATI is dominating Nvidia.

Even looking at future titles there are no games that are hype worthy except for left 4 dead and the blizzard games. Given blizzard and valves rep for great games that aren't hardware taxing. The very cheap and powerful hd4850 is the best thing since sliced bread.

The very expensive gtx280 was unneeded when pc gaming was in a state where games were already being played at max and future titles weren't being as hyped as crysis. This was nvidia's downfall. Benchmarking is great and all I like knowing who's on top. But what's the point when there's nothing to look forward to. We will now see ATI and Nvidia compete for the price/performance crown which is worth alot more than the performance crown.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]BaronMatrix[/nom]Why can't PC parts be treated like TVs? People don't predict the downfall of Samsung when Sony releases new tech. Both archs are great for their purpose. [/citation]

Maybe because almost every single person in the developed world wants to buy a tv... the hardcore gamer market is a lot smaller and not everyone and their dog call sell parts to it.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]bf2gameplaya[/nom]In a true free market, non competitive business interests fail to stay afloat.Foxconn isn't as small as some would hope and nVidia isn't as large as some would like. Both need to make better business decisions.[/citation]

Indeed. Foxconn is part of Hong Hai Group, one of the biggest OEM in the world who make literally everything from cellphone to servers. Foxconn is bigger than NVIDIA in terms of employees hired world wide. They are big enough to tell both NVIDIA and ATI to screw themselves, since may other brands also order from them. Foxconn's marketing department is geared to get OEM contract, not retail sales. I think there might be some backdoor deals between some partners, nvidia and Foxconn to reduce the competition and make everybody easier in shrinking market.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]red_star_77[/nom]I'm not sure why people think that ATI cards are better then NVidia. I tried HD4870 and GTX280. HD4870 is nowhere near GTX280. Benchmark numbers will tell you this and that but in real gaming, GTX280 owns HD4870 in every aspect. Just one reason not to get ATI card is to deal with crappy ATI drivers along with crappy CCC written in .NET which is really slow. ATI should learned that .NET is not good platform for desktop apps. I'm programming in .NET for years now, i would not choose .NET to build any desktop app cause it simply sucks. DX10.0 performance in GTX280 is untouchable and so card is worth every penny even though it's a bit more expensive then HD4870.HD4870X2 card is compared to single GTX280 in many cases which kind of is not fair but still by the time ATI releases their drivers to get game to fully use HD4870X2 which is a month or two, in meantime my GTX280/or GTX280SLI in my case eats game as soon as it is installed. That's just another reason. I compared DX10.0 performance on HD4870 to GTX280, ATI still have to catch up things. For sure it's nice to have competition, but claiming that ATI cards have edge is just stupid.HD4870X2 don't know how much their card is slow till they see GTX280 SLI in action [/citation]
LOL hold on Nvidiot...
SLI sucks,try your highest SLI against ATi's crossfire...ATi wins.
As for the drivers? Nvidia drivers are just drivers,they don't improve on anything,ATi's drivers haven't failed me except in Beta.Ever,and have actually gotten me past Nvidia's parralel card which has gotten ~1% performance gain from drivers? Mine's gotten ~15-30%.
Ravenware got the rest,don't need to waste 2 paragraphs ranting on you.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]so i see evga will support ati/amd cards now, does this come with the benefit of the step up program?!?!? =D i would hope so[/citation]
Of course.[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]Given the rate of new GPU releases and the new D3D11 cards that are due out in the near future, I am sure nVidia will take the opportunity and bounce back from their mistakes.[/citation]
I'm still wondering why the hell everyone calls them DX11 cards,they're STILL Direct-X 10 cards just with a refresh of the technology to be compatible with all the new stuff.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]The 4870 cards direct competitor would be the 260 given the price point. The 280's competitor would the 4870x2(more or less), which owns the 280 in high res gaming, and whats to stop some one from throwing in 2 4870x2's to compete against the 280's in sli?[/citation]

True. AMD is probably holding 4850x2 before 55nm GT200b release. That thing charges less than GTX280 and will out-perform it. On top of that, CrossFire on 48x0 scales better than any NVIDIA SLI or X2.

NVIDIA, on the other hand, offers better package with HybridPower, PhysX and CUDA. If the shrink can make 55nm GTX260 run at 650MHz, it will own 4870. But no where GT200 will scale as good as RV700, unless they get Lucid chips on their package.

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Good for eVGA for cutting loose. There products have always been a step above Nvidias regulars. Also its a shame about foxconn. Although they will probably be fine I hope this just dosn't delay the release of any X58 board but that foxconn renisance has my name written on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.