Discussion NVIDIA might delay its RTX 40 series "ADA Lovelace" GPU launch due to oversupply of RTX 30 series !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hi,

Some market analysis and rumors. It appears that NVIDIA's GeForce RTX 4000 graphics cards may not be widely available until December 2022, as retailers currently struggle to move current gen GPUs in the wake of a flooded used market. But given it's just a few months delay, it 's not a very big issue for most PC gamers, assuming they want to upgrade.

This was actually expected to happen. I'm more concerned about the pricing and availability, rather than any delay, when these RTX 40-series chips hit retail.

But the Nvidia RTX 4000 GPU release date could indeed be pushed back further due to the oversupply of RTX 3000 graphics cards currently flooding the used market, in addition to those yet to be shifted by board partners and retailers. The company has already attempted to scale back the production of its upcoming GPU chips, but it seems that the launch of team green’s best graphics cards could prove to be a messy affair for everyone involved.

Sources close to YouTuber Moore’s Law Is Dead say that the bulk of supply for RTX 4000 GPUs was “supposed to hit in October, but now it may actually be postponed to December.” This doesn’t mean that Nvidia won’t announce and launch cards like the RTX 4090 before then, but you may have trouble getting your hands on one until that time.

For now, retailers’ more immediate concerns appear to be the stockpiles of RTX 3000 cards that they are growing “desperate to move”, as worries mount that they won’t be able to sell the graphics cards for a profit. The sheer amount of current generation GeForce GPUs entering the second-hand market following the recent cryptocurrency crash are placing pressure on prices to tumble downward, which is naturally having a knock-on effect on the demand retailers are seeing.

Just how long Nvidia can delay RTX 4000 is unclear, as the company understandably doesn’t want to give AMD RDNA 3 graphics cards a head start if it can be helped. In the interim, the coming months may be the best time to grab a gaming PC upgrade on the cheap, as falling prices are showing no signs of slowing down.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHZbgaAoFHI&ab_channel=Moore%27sLawIsDead

I wouldn't be surprised when and if 1K Watts PSUs becomes the mainstream requirement/norm for most GPUs in near future, lol.

On related news, Chinese gamers might be in for a treat. 🤘 It appears that the ENTIRE range of AMD & NVIDIA Graphics Cards is currently available below MSRP in China. RTX 3090 Ti prices fall by up to 38%, and the 6900 XT GPU shows a 37.5% decline in MSRP. Shocking ? But these are actually brand NEW cards, not used in Mining or for some other work.

The GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and the RTX 3090 have also seen a fairly mammoth price drop of -29% and -33%, respectively.

According to reports coming in from China, the entire latest inventory of GPUs from NVIDIA and AMD has just arrived in stores and the prices are way below their MSRPs as they should be by now. All new graphics cards from NVIDIA and AMD are now being sold way below MSRP. The only cards that are in the single-digit range below MSRP are the AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT at -6.4% and the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti at -4.1%.

Despite that, these graphics cards can now be bought for prices that are lower than the MSRPs in brand new condition.

AMD-NVIDIA-Graphics-Card-Prices-2022-July.jpg

Translated Table.

GRAPHICS CARDCURRENT PRICE (RETAILER)MSRPDIFFERENCE VS MSRP
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti9499 RMB ($1415 US)14999 RMB ($2234 US)-38%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30908498 RMB ($1266 US)11999 RMB ($1787 US)-29%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti5998 RMB ($893 US)8999 RMB ($1340 US)-33%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 12 GB4695 RMB ($699 US)N/AN/A
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB4598 RMB ($685 US)5499 RMB ($819 US)-16%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti3842 RMB ($572 US)4499 RMB ($670 US)-15%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30703396 RMB ($506 US)3899 RMB ($580 US)-13%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti2875 RMB ($428 US)2999 RMB ($446 US)-4.1%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30602189 RMB ($326 US)2499 RMB ($372 US)-12.4%
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30501700 RMB ($253 US)1899 RMB ($282 US)-10.4%
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT7859 RMB ($1171 US)8399 RMB ($1251 US)-6.4%
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT4999 RMB ($744 US)7999 RMB ($1191 US)-37.5%
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT4293 RMB ($639 US)5099 RMB ($759 US)-15.8%
AMD Radeon RX 68003988 RMB ($594 US)4599 RMB ($685 US)-13.2%
AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT3399 RMB ($506 US)4199 RMB ($625 US)-19%
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT3049 RMB ($454 US)3699 RMB ($551 US)-17.5%
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT2490 RMB ($371 US)3099 RMB ($461 US)-19.6%
AMD Radeon RX 600 XT2218 RMB ($330 US)2999 RMB ($446 US)-26%
AMD Radeon RX 66001799 RMB ($268 US)2499 RMB ($372 US)-28%
AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT1174 RMB ($174 US)1499 RMB ($223 US)-21.6%
AMD Radeon RX 6400894 RMB ($133 US)1299 RMB ($193 US)-31.1%

Reactions: alceryes
Wow! That's a spectacular price for the 6900 XT. China gamers rejoice!

Yes, those Flagship cards from both AMD and Nvidia have seen a heavy price cut. Even though the VAT in China is high, unless I'm mistaken, I have a feeling we might witness the same price drop trend in other countries as well, US, UK, Euro and rest of the world (where applicable).

Both AMD and Nvidia saw what was going on and wanted a piece of that pie, but the prices of released gpu wafers were already set by contract; those couldn't be changed... and that's where these came in:
<snip>

RTX 3080 12GB

Those wafers were being sold for more.

Btw, what about the RTX 3080 10 GB silicon SKU ? Did it sell well though for a profit ? Because there were rumors Nvidia had cancelled the production of the RTX 3080 12GB GPU in January this year.

As the price gap between the RTX 3080 10GB and the RTX 3080 Ti was close, there was less room for the RTX 3080 12GB, especially since the far more ubiquitous 10GB card needed to be sold off before its replacement arrives later this year.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Btw, what about the RTX 3080 10 GB silicon SKU ? Did it sell well though for a profit ? Because there were rumors Nvidia had cancelled the production of the RTX 3080 12GB GPU in January this year.
Sure. It was 'normal', but as Nvidia soon found out, it was too low and too late to change it...

As the price gap between the RTX 3080 10GB and the RTX 3080 Ti was close...
It was?! Is this about the 700 Vs 1200USD MSRPs, because that's a pretty big gap to slot in the 3080 12GB to me...
Alas, they didn't even bother with an MSRP for that one, so only Nvidia and the AIBs know the cost of those wafers, but the launch prices should've said it all about those.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Yes, those Flagship cards from both AMD and Nvidia have seen a heavy price cut. Even though the VAT in China is high, unless I'm mistaken, I have a feeling we might witness the same price drop trend in other countries as well, US, UK, Euro and rest of the world (where applicable).

As the price gap between the RTX 3080 10GB and the RTX 3080 Ti was close, there was less room for the RTX 3080 12GB, especially since the far more ubiquitous 10GB card needed to be sold off before its replacement arrives later this year.
The problem that NVIDIA faced with the 3080 12GB release was that it performed within the 'margin of error' in many gaming benchmarks compared to the 3080 Ti.
There were several sites even singing the praises of the 3080 12GB when it was released, saying that that's the one to get (out of the 4 top-tier 3000-series cards).

Greed caused NVIDIA to saturate the performance point around the 3080 mark, plain and simple.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
looking at the price list that Metal posted. Over here in the Philippines, the price of the RTX 3050 is still 100 usd above msrp.

well, I can delay buying a little bit more.. maybe the price would go down as the weeks pass.

It was?! Is this about the 700 Vs 1200USD MSRPs, because that's a pretty big gap to slot in the 3080 12GB to me...
Alas, they didn't even bother with an MSRP for that one, so only Nvidia and the AIBs know the cost of those wafers, but the launch prices should've said it all about those.

I think I made a typo whilst getting confused or both, lol. I meant to say the price gap between the RTX 3080 12GB and the RTX 3080 Ti was close, when the RTX 3080Ti GPU suddenly saw a dramatic price drop. Not 10GB variant, so I think that's why Nvidia decided to stop sending 3080 12G chips to AIBs for production. Both were priced almost similarly.

The problem that NVIDIA faced with the 3080 12GB release was that it performed within the 'margin of error' in many gaming benchmarks compared to the 3080 Ti.
There were several sites even singing the praises of the 3080 12GB when it was released, saying that that's the one to get (out of the 4 top-tier 3000-series cards).

Yeah exactly. The price/perf ratio made the 12GB SKU look bad against the Ti variant.

Last edited:
The RTX 3090 Ti now selling below MSRP in the US. Best buy retailer offer. The current price tag is $1599, so roughly $400 cheaper than MSRP. But $1599 mark is still a bit high, knowing that next-gen ADA GPUs are on Nvidia's roadmap, releasing later this year.

Don't know about other GPUs, as I'm still searching.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...d-black/6502626.p?intl=nosplash&skuId=6502626

RTX-3090TI-768x531.jpg
No thanks.
I've got my 6900 XT tuned to sip power (relatively) while still giving top performance.
My window unit AC wouldn't stand a chance against this space heater! :LOL:

No thanks.
I've got my 6900 XT tuned to sip power (relatively) while still giving top performance.
My window unit AC wouldn't stand a chance against this space heater! :LOL:

Hehe. :sweatsmile: On a serious note, I really like the SPECS of your current RIG. Awesome PC, and you already have the flagship GPU from AMD, so you are also future-proof as well, to a greater extent. I mean, yes we all know Hardware gets obsolete, but those specs will help you enjoy PC games for a long time. Unless of course you really want to upgrade, if you are not happy with the RIG's current performance.

Btw, is your 6900 XT GPU a triple-fan model from AMD ?

I'm still stick with a potato and an obsolete PC, RX 480 paired with Core i7- 4790 NON-K CPU, and other blah blah PC components. Stuck with 4'th gen. :( But this potato PC still manages to play most of the AAA games on 1080p resolution, albeit with different graphics settings.

But I mostly play older PC games, mostly First-person shooters ! So I'm still holding off an upgrade.

Hehe. :sweatsmile: On a serious note, I really like the SPECS of your current RIG. Awesome PC, and you already have the flagship GPU from AMD, so you are also future-proof as well, to a greater extent. I mean, yes we all know Hardware gets obsolete, but those specs will help you enjoy PC games for a long time. Unless of course you really want to upgrade, if you are not happy with the RIG's current performance.

Btw, is your 6900 XT GPU a triple-fan model from AMD ?

I'm still stick with a potato and an obsolete PC, RX 480 paired with Core i7- 4790 NON-K CPU, and other blah blah PC components. Stuck with 4'th gen. :( But this potato PC still manages to play most of the AAA games on 1080p resolution, albeit with different graphics settings.

But I mostly play older PC games, mostly First-person shooters ! So I'm still holding off an upgrade.
Thanks.
Yup, it's a reference AMD RX 6900 XT. I paid a premium for it, but I also made money selling two other GPUs when the market was crazy so, it evened out. I did this quick-n-easy thermal pad mod on it about 6 months ago. Made a big difference with peak temps. Performance is top-notch all while staying under 300W TBP. I may eventually get an AIO for it and start giving it more juice with MPT but it's definitely diminishing returns beyond 300W. I'd probably need to give it 400W TBP to get a 5-10% increase in GPU performance.

I'll actually be upgrading to an AM5 rig end of this year. I'll be carrying over my 6900 XT and my 1000W PSU but everything else will be new. IT is my business, but modding, tweaking, and gaming is my hobby/relaxation. Supposedly, at least one X3D Ryzen 7000 CPU will come out before the end of the year. Can't wait for AM5 to be released! I play a lot of old and new games. Mostly RPG and action-RPG but I do enjoy a good shooter now and then. I'm still trying to get into Doom (2016).

There's nothing wrong with your rig if it gives you acceptable performance for what you are (or were) willing to spend. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
It really is spectacular how quickly prices are falling.
Newegg has got a 6950 XT that is now $50 cheaper than the 6900 XT's MSRP! That card just came out!

That's good to see 6050 XT cards also getting a price drop. I have a feeling that if the current inventory of both AMD and NV cards are not exhausted, despite any price cut, then these vendors might postpone the upcoming next-gen cards, RTX 40 series and RDNA3 GPUs to next year 2023.

But we need to wait and see how the market responds now.

Some more gaming GPU leak/news, though not related to any price drop or AMD/Nvidia, because this is about INTEL's upcoming desktop GPU which many are hoping to get. GamersNexus has acquired an Arc A750 Limited Edition graphics card aimed for the high-end gaming segment.

Intel’s High-End Arc A750 Limited Edition Desktop Graphics Card Pictured, Sleek Reference Design

It looks like Intel has started sampling certain tech outlets its high-end Limited Edition graphics cards based on the Arc architecture. The first of these designs is the Intel Arc A750 Limited Edition which was provided to GamersNexus/Steve. The tech outlet showed off the card during its recent video review of the Gunnir Arc A380 graphics card. Steve has not provided any details on the card though, but we can definitely expect a review of the card to be on its way.

Intel-ARC-A750-1.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-dcK4h4ZU&ab_channel=GamersNexus

A mobile gaming cafe/bus ? Intel is said to be touring some gaming events in the US promoting its yet unavailable Arc graphics cards. LANFest Colorado is said to be the first stop, so if you're planning on attending, this could be your first chance to get some hands-on time with an Arc graphics card.

View: https://twitter.com/TheMalcore/status/1546936582690709512

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you like this YouTuber ? Some of his videos are pretty cool though.
Neutral. I agree that some videos are pretty cool, some feel like clickbait that I wasted my time on, and others make me facepalm.
I like the seemingly random ones, like liquid cooling an M.2 drive, the 3D Printer... like, his DIY projects.
"This is the most satisfying PC video you will ever watch", "These are completely unnecessary... but awesome", stuff from the rumor mill, and that recent video, I could give 2 coconuts about those.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hahaha, what a joke. The low to mid range are the ones that appeal to their largest audience, but the high end and halo are the ones that have/had the highest profits behind them.
You can literally see where their priorities lie. They can't start RTX 40 launch with the upper tier with so many of the same RTX 30s sitting around.
They want to sell those high tier cards at higher prices badly, huh?

Hahaha, what a joke. The low to mid range are the ones that appeal to their largest audience, but the high end and halo are the ones that have/had the highest profits behind them.
You can literally see where their priorities lie. They can't start RTX 40 launch with the upper tier with so many of the same RTX 30s sitting around.
They want to sell those high tier cards at higher prices badly, huh?

Yeah, that's the way this whole thing actually works. The biggest profit margin comes from the high-end and flagship SKUs. These companies will always prioritize the expensive products, and leave the mainstream, mid-range and lower-end to adjust to the market itself.