News Nvidia Might Resurrect the RTX 2060 With 12GB Of VRAM

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I was going to say why but I guess they would re-release this one as it worse than all the 30X0 cards, it help Nvidia and no one else.

Odds are that the global semiconductor shortage will persist into 2022,

Read your own site https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/new...o-have-drastic-effect-on-prices-of-everything

TSMC Price Hikes to Result in Higher Retail Pricing For Pretty Much Everything
By Anton Shilov about 6 hours ago
Chip shortage should last until mid-2023

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Rumor makes little sense--except in one sense. If nVidia does something like this it narrows the RTX 3k shortages down to yield problems--not materials shortages...as RTX-2k requires the same materials RTX-3k--the differences being the GPU designs that have to be fabbed. Same thing is true for AMD, imo, because the material shortages seem solved for AMD's Zen3 CPUs through the AMD Store--they've got it all and at MSRP, too, where it's been for several weeks now. But RX-6k GPUs through the AMD store are as rare as hen's teeth, atm. BTW, I never considered the 2060 worth buying--but that's just me...;)

So the point of adding extra ram to a 2060 that probably can’t utilize that amount does what exactly? Allows them to charge more for old products? I could see 8gb or maybe 12gb on a 2060 super. But on a 2060?? Unless they want to sell these cards to miners. And we wonder why there aren’t cards available.

Glad I’ve got an rx 6600xt to hold with.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Rumor makes little sense--except in one sense. If nVidia does something like this it narrows the RTX 3k shortages down to yield problems--not materials shortages...as RTX-2k requires the same materials RTX-3k--the differences being the GPU designs that have to be fabbed. Same thing is true for AMD, imo, because the material shortages seem solved for AMD's Zen3 CPUs through the AMD Store--they've got it all and at MSRP, too, where it's been for several weeks now. But RX-6k GPUs through the AMD store are as rare as hen's teeth, atm. BTW, I never considered the 2060 worth buying--but that's just me...;)
It's not a shortage of materials strangling GPU production, it's fab capacity. The 2060 is produced by TSMC on their older 12nm process. The 3000 series is produced by Samsung on their 8nm process. Reintroducing a 2060 would have absolutely zero impact on 3000 series production. CPU availability is improving because there was a finite increase in demand when covid hit that is subsiding. There are some seasonal back to school shortages in the low end right now, but that will clean itself up soon enough. If CPU's could mine profitably, you wouldn't be able to find one of those anywhere near list price just like GPU's. As long as GPU's can mine profitably, you are going to have an extremely tough, though not impossible, time buying one near MSRP.

Last edited:

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
So then, what about all those 1080s that I was reading a few years back that Nvidia took back from retailers...? I guess that depends on what they ended up doing with them, but those could go like gangbusters in today's market if they're collecting dust in a back room somewhere...

Not that I'm any sort of an analyst or anything, but just a wondering id10t...lol

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Strange this seemed to be drawing more ridicule than when someone re-released GT 730, just a couple months back.

At least this one's still got enough oomph to outperform a hypothetical RTX 3050.

They don't really need more memory to charge more either, considering that the original RTX 2060 is still selling for 2x original MSRP at a glance - Which is not actually saying much about anything except sellers hoping to make a sale at that price, though.

Reactions: artk2219

InvalidError

Titan
Hm. Maybe these revamped 2060s will be rebadged as the 3050.
With GDDR6 costing around $12/GB at the moment, that would end up being one mighty expensive 50-tier card.

Also, there already is a 3050, albeit only in mobile form at the moment and since the mobile version sucks due to only having 4GB of VRAM, it probably won't get a desktop variant in its current form. An 8GB version might work, though that would also end up a bit pricey for historically $150-ish 50-tier.

Reactions: artk2219
What a waste of RAM. I could understand 8GB model, but even that may be hard to justify. RTX 2060 is not a great card for 1440p gaming, not unless you downgrade graphics settings.

I don't really see much of a point on the extra RAM, perhaps for some workstations needs... maybe.

Last edited:

SSGBryan

Reputable
Jan 29, 2021
So the point of adding extra ram to a 2060 that probably can’t utilize that amount does what exactly? Allows them to charge more for old products? I could see 8gb or maybe 12gb on a 2060 super. But on a 2060?? Unless they want to sell these cards to miners. And we wonder why there aren’t cards available.

Glad I’ve got an rx 6600xt to hold with.

This may come as a great shock to you, but some people use GPUs for something other than gaming or mining.

For 3d artists, this is exactly what many of us are looking for.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Nvidia just need to start up the production line for what ever they have left. 980 ? 960 ? 770 ?

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Odds are that the global semiconductor shortage will persist into 2022,

Now that the semiconductor industry has found a way to gouge this segment of the market it will come down to how
high they can up the prices enough to where people stop buying then adjust accordingly.

There's only a shortage if you are in the market to want one.
I'm good with my ole 1050 Ti on Photoshop & Steam for my needs. 2022 is fine by me.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Just keep in mind that "pro" class GPUs, generally game en par with their "consumer" counterparts. Many users assume that those GPUs can't game.
His comment was likely in relation to SSG's comment about extra VRAM being great for artists. Yes, most 'pro' GPUs will game fine, though people paying 2X, 3X, 5X or even 10X as much for those driver certifications and extra VRAM usually don't have gaming as a primary concern.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
His comment was likely in relation to SSG's comment about extra VRAM being great for artists. Yes, most 'pro' GPUs will game fine, though people paying 2X, 3X, 5X or even 10X as much for those driver certifications and extra VRAM usually don't have gaming as a primary concern.
Understood. Just didn't want a single post to get taken out of context.

Co BIY

Splendid
The 2060 is produced by TSMC on their older 12nm process. The 3000 series is produced by Samsung on their 8nm process. Reintroducing a 2060 would have absolutely zero impact on 3000 series production.

This is the explanation that would have been great in the article. A question that follows is : Are there problems with Samsung 30xx chip production or is it just that Nvidia can't get more production out of them but are selling everything made ?

Reactions: mrv_co