Nvidia Points Finger at AMD's Image Quality Cheat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
@jasonpwns: Dude, I was talking about the PRICE. I'd go with whichever cheaper. That's why I mentioned the price and manufacturer. As per NOW, there's no nVidia offering with DirectX 11 with the performance of the 5670 and the price from DA. Drop the flame bait, man. It ain't cool. :pfff:

fishrule

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I love how people argue about ATI and nvidia in an attempt to prove their company is more "righteous". They'll both take your money either way, giant corporations are never ethical anyways, but the product that suits you best.

G

Nice to know that when I buy an nVidia product, i've spent a certain percentage of my money on that GPU that went towards studying and analyzing the competitors product and drivers versus making the product that I purchased better.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]damasvara[/nom]@jasonpwns: Dude, I was talking about the PRICE. I'd go with whichever cheaper. That's why I mentioned the price and manufacturer. As per NOW, there's no nVidia offering with DirectX 11 with the performance of the 5670 and the price from DA. Drop the flame bait, man. It ain't cool.[/citation]

And you need directx11 right now why? I can guarantee that the 5670 will stutter in most directx11 games if there are any mainstream ones even out now. By the time directx11 becomes widespread the 5670 will be nearly a low end card.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]rantoc is obviously a narrow minded person and an obvious fanboy appart from that who cares? nVidia is doing so poorly right now that they are trying to take ANY shot at AMD as little as it can be, seeing how AMD was dominating and is easily keeping up on the GPU end of the market while they also have intel on their asses on the CPU end. If you ask me AMD seems to be doing a great job. Btw I have owned only ONE AMD/ATI card in any of my rigs and its the current 5850 and it is by far better then anything nvidia had to offer, I still believe it is[/citation]

Any corporation with any self regard will always try to make their product shine but cheat in a benchmark that some customers use as their main metric for a products performance is morally wrong. It only fools their customers into thinking the product in a real-world scenario would perform better than it really does since the special optimizations are strangely gone. So before lecturing anyone about fanboyism please watch yourself in the mirror before pointing fingers at anyone because you seem to enjoy purchase hardware based on false information and that surely smells like fanboi'ism to me!

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]Nvidia is losing all image quality benchmarks to AMD and so what they do is try to tarnish the competition. Typical nvidia.[/citation]

This comment makes me laugh. Look at the GTX580 benchmarks and image quality. Surely nothing is lost there as it is a single GPU card competing with a dual GPU 5970. Of course they are going to call out the truth on the competition. The difference between political campaigns and this is the fact that the thing Nvidia is calling out AMD on is REAL. My next card may be an AMD Radeon. Who knows but all I know is the fact that you people attacking a company that still provides people with great quality is wrong. Especially because it sounds like you aren't even using their cards.

Nice to know that when I buy an nVidia product, i've spent a certain percentage of my money on that GPU that went towards studying and analyzing the competitors product and drivers versus making the product that I purchased better.

In that case you had not buy anything from anyone ever again then as many companies spend money to look at their competitors products.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]damasvara[/nom]@jasonpwns: Dude, I was talking about the PRICE. I'd go with whichever cheaper. That's why I mentioned the price and manufacturer. As per NOW, there's no nVidia offering with DirectX 11 with the performance of the 5670 and the price from DA. Drop the flame bait, man. It ain't cool.[/citation]

I've been talking about this for a while. When is Nvidia going to come out with a gpu for under $100 that does DX11, doesn't need an extra power pin and can run games like the HD5670? Right now the best they can do is the 9800GT eco card (which are still DX10). And those are disappearing from the market. The GT430 can't compete at all.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]For me it can and I am not a nvanboy. It actually sounds like you are an AMD/ATI fanboy more than anything. Sorry to burst your self righteous bubble. I think you guys are terrible on deciding a graphics card. I stick with Nvidia because nothing has gone wrong so far and I doubt anything will in the future. I don't get the harsh criticism and also it seems as if Nvidia cards are RATED HIGHER ON THE QUALITY CHART over AMD's graphics cards if you look at user feedback. Time for AMD fanboys to get off their high horse. If I like an AMD card ill buy an AMD card if I like a nvidia card then so be it will buy a Nvidia card. I won't be presuaded by a view fanboys opinions just because they had 1 lousy card die on them. Cards die, AMD cards die, Nvidia cards die, Matrox cards die, Lots of PCB's eventually die. Quit trying to overclock it and you might be better off.[/citation]
I've never ever had an ATI graphics card or even IGP die on me.I must have over perhaps 30 of them.I even have a ATI VGA Wonder card from the late 1980's that's still usable.

G

dunno bout you guys... but i look at ingame FPS ratings over benchmarks...

nielnield

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]He is narrow minded? Go out and buy a GTX580 and maybe then you will see Nvidia has better to offer at superb quality (Buy EVGA and maybe you won't screw yourself over) Sorry it sounds like you only buy AMD/Ati cards and you call him narrow minded? I am not a fanboy but benchmarks prove the GTX580 beats the 5850 hands down. On the other hand if you want matched/better performance on the AMD side go for a 5970.. He was being neutral and you called him a fanboy. Where did you got to school? Must not have taught you the definition of neutral. I agree this is shady of AMD as some people do buy graphics cards based off benchmarks and hearsay. Oh and before you go calling me a fanboy I was actually looking at a 6850/6870 and comparing it to the gtx460 and gtx470. Both are about equal in performance to each other so buying either would result in the same thing depending on which company. For AMD id go XFX or Nvidia Id go evga.[/citation]

You can't compare the 5850 with the gtx580, wow.! 5850 is 200$ cheaper.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]blarghmaster[/nom]dunno bout you guys... but i look at ingame FPS ratings over benchmarks...[/citation]

Yeah, Toms hardware does benchmarks and in their benchmarks they include the FPS they get on the games.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
So I own a 5770, but I have to agree with nVidia that this is a cheat as far as framerate goes.
It makes it difficult for the tester to get a fair evaluation. Obviously he wants to turn the optimization back on at 1600x1200 since nVidia does the same thing there, but what about 800x600?

I like the idea that it's avalible to us for control though. Maybe it'll let me play Metro 2033 better ;)

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]nielnield[/nom]You can't compare the 5850 with the gtx580, wow.! 5850 is 200$ cheaper.[/citation]

I was quoting him on this

" its the current 5850 and it is by far better then anything nvidia had to offer, I still believe it is "

Question is has he even used any of the other Nvidia cards? If not he has no evidence to base his claim on.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
it's like file compression, you have to put in more processing power to get diminishing better result. you have to set a reasonable trade-off mark between employing more processing cycles to get that so little increment in image quality. some call it cheating. some call it optimization.

MAGPC

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
[citation][nom]fishrule[/nom]I love how people argue about ATI and nvidia in an attempt to prove their company is more "righteous". They'll both take your money either way, giant corporations are never ethical anyways, but the product that suits you best.[/citation]
Bravo, well said.
I am an ATI card user, but if nVidia is better by the time I build a new rig, I am going to go for it for sure.
They want only to milk the market, and they will do whatever they can do to increase their profits.
What a cruel world it has become to be.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]rantoc is obviously a narrow minded person and an obvious fanboy appart from that who cares? nVidia is doing so poorly right now that they are trying to take ANY shot at AMD as little as it can be, seeing how AMD was dominating and is easily keeping up on the GPU end of the market while they also have intel on their asses on the CPU end. If you ask me AMD seems to be doing a great job. Btw I have owned only ONE AMD/ATI card in any of my rigs and its the current 5850 and it is by far better then anything nvidia had to offer, I still believe it is[/citation]

More than half the people here are fanboys and cannot give a fair comparison of any results...it could be Intel, AMD, or ATI. Let the Benchmarks and reviews speak for themselves and put your ignorance asside.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blarghmaster[/nom]dunno bout you guys... but i look at ingame FPS ratings over benchmarks...[/citation]

Most educated people do, however not everyone is taking the time to do the proper research and more than likely some pre-made machine vendors have been boasting with those numbers fooling the novices into making their purchase based on those.

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Thus the words "optimization" meaning: I won’t notice $h!T if the quality is turned down on smaller windows. Why do you think smaller? TVs just do 720p because 1080i on a screen that is 17 inches isn’t going to matter and is a waist. I loved my pair of Nvidia 9800 GX2, till the D@m things over heated and died in a disturbing beautiful mesmerizing puff of smoke. Now I'm using a pair of DAAMIT 5970s yes hot and long but they still work fine. They are cooler in idle due to the driver -!(("OPTOMIZATION"))!- so they don’t run like my mom’s frying pan. I can care less about the fanboi crap I take what works the best at the time and right now thats AMDs platforms. I build computers all the time and everyone says they have problems with AMD/ATI systems I find the issues the other way around.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]And you need directx11 right now why? I can guarantee that the 5670 will stutter in most directx11 games if there are any mainstream ones even out now. By the time directx11 becomes widespread the 5670 will be nearly a low end card.[/citation]
You want reasons, here they are:
1. Because it's better than the 5570 in terms of performance, with small difference in power consumption
2. It's better than 4850 in terms of power consumption, temperature and DirectX11 support
3. It's way a lot cheaper than the HD5750
4. My Monitor resolution is only 1440 x 900. With possible gaming resolution at 1280 x 1024, which means I can expect higher fps.
5. Last but not least: It's the CHEAPEST DirectX11 GPU with modest performance.

This isn't about righteousness nor fanboism. My decision is strictly based on market study and plain logic.

Drop it, dude! The way I see it, this isn't about AMD vs nVidia. This is about price vs performance preference between us. And that's not even comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.