Nvidia Points Finger at AMD's Image Quality Cheat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Here's my opinion:

NVIDIA = Muscles, and performance. Consistency is also something. Less problem. But it ain't cheap. And comes with heat too.

AMD/ATI = It's all about the variety. There's a wide range of cards that consumer can choose from, and it's all within budget. Good performance and cost ratio. No doubt about that.

Both has its weaknesses but I doubt AMD would swoop that low. I do think NVIDIA has problems, I mean, 480 is not performing well enough to be the top. Plus the heat, damn, it's scary. And it took time for 580 to come out, and utilizing a technology AMD has been using for quite sometime already. I'd say in terms in technology AMD is the lead, a bit.

And normal users would probably choose to save money over some +5~10 fps. At least I my self would. Most of the normal users won't really care I'd guess. They would usually say, "I want a system that can run X game without lag", or "I want a GC that can run game X well on average settings." That the common words I hear though.

I used NVIDIA for a long time, and my 9800GT, 9500GT, and GTX240 still serving me. Except for the first two... it's fried.

Changed to AMD, my 4870 and 5750 serving me very well. No need to bother with heat as much as before.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]I've been talking about this for a while. When is Nvidia going to come out with a gpu for under $100 that does DX11, doesn't need an extra power pin and can run games like the HD5670? Right now the best they can do is the 9800GT eco card (which are still DX10). And those are disappearing from the market. The GT430 can't compete at all.[/citation]
Exactly my point.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]I've been talking about this for a while. When is Nvidia going to come out with a gpu for under $100 that does DX11, doesn't need an extra power pin and can run games like the HD5670? Right now the best they can do is the 9800GT eco card (which are still DX10). And those are disappearing from the market. The GT430 can't compete at all.[/citation]

Under 100$? ROFL who cares?

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Image quality is not discussed so much when comparing these days... true, but the last time I saw it done was just a few weeks ago and AMD came out tops on a 'The way it's meant to be played title'. Especially fine detail objects like the scopes and other details on weapons, etc... AMD's looks crisp and beautiful, while NVidia's looks fuzzy and primitive in comparison. And AMD's shadows look 'alive', while NVidia's look 'cold' (best terms I can think of). I'm sorry: Pot calling the kettle black - It goes both ways. I can tell you personally I don't give a rat's ass about small windowed performance. All I look at in benchmarks are 1920x1080 full screen results. If I can afford a card that can run the games I play well and looks reasonably future proof then I buy it. But I definitely trust AMD's image quality more than NVidia's.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I find it funny that anybody would believe anything that comes out of nvidia about ati. Also vise versa. Their competitors for christ sake. Their gonna spin shit it's politics.

shaun_shaun

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]Nvidia remind me of North Korea ... run by a small minded despot surrounded by yes men who focus on covering up their own dirty deeds (sinking ships, shelling innocents) [/citation]

what about US/NATO shellings in IRAQ,AFGANISTAN,PAKISTAN??? same fact applies to America and its Allies to.. dont try to compare nVIDIA with N.Korea.. u r example dont make any sense...

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I owned an 8800gtx for the longest time. Loved that card! ATi had nothing on the market that could compete with it for the longest time.

Then it died. I was forced to purchase a new grafix card YAY!!

I got myself an ATi 5870. Very impressed with it so far.

I buy whatever is going to give me the most longevity for my $$$. It's rare for a card (8800gtx) to hold the performance crown for so long, so I lucked out, but so far, this 5870 seems to be holding its own against most cards on the market.

If nVidia comes out with something new by July 2011, I may switch. If not, I'll stick with the 5870. Bang for my buck... AMD has it right now.

tstng

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
And what about Physx? Nvidia has been "cheating" with that for years. I know it's not really tha same cup of tea, but what nvidia is doing with Physx is way more outrageus than a niffty performace improving option that AMD developed came up with. Plus I've tested the option and really, I can't see any drop in image quality unless I start analysing pixels with a microscope.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]some call it cheating. some call it optimization.[/citation]
Except reviews need to compare like for like. And default driver settings versus default driver settings yield up to 10% better frame rates for AMD due to a slightly worse image quality.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is a meaningless analogy and adds no merit to your argument. Trying to spin current events into the discourse of the ATI vs. Nvidia "name calling" argument is frivolous at best. Keep your point, on point, and your argument will be more convincing. 'Nuf said.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

And throwing in the US/NATO..... stuff makes sense?

What do you say that we discuss tech stuff here in the "Land 'O Toms" and leave the politics for other forums?

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
When it's hurting, create confusion, deny & pass the potato. They're "cheating" & it's hurting sales, but forget about relabeling... Consumers want what's best for them, but someone has to tell them what's best for them, how else will they know? When you can't trust the numbers, you'll have to trust yourself, but that'll cost you, so you trust someone else. But if you only remember getting cheated, you'll remember that too. So how much, what will I get, & was it what I got?

If we all lived in North Korea, you can expect to get great benchmarks, but you still can't play Crysis even though you're being told that it's running on the highest quality at 99fps, it looks like it's running on the lowest quality at 10fps.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Seriously, fanboi or not. Why so much hate? Why not rejoice that both companies exists instead? It drives up the speed of new tech as well as keep the prices down or do we all like a new "old-intel" that is so decadent and slow moving you were happy if they released a 33mhz cpu upgrade for twice the price (until AMD came and kicked them in the nuts so they woke up).

Competition is good and brings rewards to the customers so be happy they both exist!

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
lol To those that assume nvidia is on the level here & start ragging on AMD right away without actually having proof that AMD is actually doing anything wrong. I use both companies cards & I have to say that AMD's control panel has way more setting for the user to control how the graphics get rendered to the screen. Also is Nvidia talking about windowed Graphics? If they are how now days actually plays a game in windowed mode not many.

This reminds me of a review done a while back where the reviewer took AMD & Nvidia but instead of doing the normal review like every one else this guy reviewed the cards in normal game play & where Nvidia had been beating AMD in most of these games all of a sudden AMD was coming out on top of Nvidia. I said then that it appears Nvidia optimizes their drivers to a higher point for those sequences of the game where the benchmarks are done by every site than AMD does. Lets face it if in one benchmark Nvidia wins but in the same game they lose because the reviewer tested the cards in a different part of the game that shows that Nvidia also cheats a bit or at least pins their hopes that all reviewers will all fall into place & not test outside the box.

Both companies make great cards I just feel that the they should focus on making more great cards & leave the name calling & bashing to the politicians.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Their points are valid. When it happened in the past we cried foul pretty loud. Now we don't care anymore? Looks like NVidia will never win.

Maybe the image quality problem is not as severe as it was in the past. With small pixel sizes compared to the past, our eyes might no notice those problems as much anymore and that's why we don't care?

Still... Boo on ATI for doing this.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]This comment makes me laugh. Look at the GTX580 benchmarks and image quality. Surely nothing is lost there as it is a single GPU card competing with a dual GPU 5970. Of course they are going to call out the truth on the competition. The difference between political campaigns and this is the fact that the thing Nvidia is calling out AMD on is REAL. My next card may be an AMD Radeon. Who knows but all I know is the fact that you people attacking a company that still provides people with great quality is wrong. Especially because it sounds like you aren't even using their cards.[/citation]

Actually The 580GTX is current gen from Nvidia & the 5970 is AMD's last gen product. Even if the 5970 only wins 3/4 of the benches says a lot for the card against the gtx580. The 580 will be competing with AMD's 6970 cards & if that is not enough then there is always the 6990(dual GPU) cards. Sure Nvidia will have their own dual GPU card this time & it probably will rock every ones socks off but at what cost.

Me I am probably just going to get a 6970 & call it good my screen only does 1080P so getting anything dual GPU makes no sense unless I was to upgrade to a 30 inch screen. Oh wait theres always multi monitors option form both camps. Doh dammit..lol

Lutfij

Titan
Nvidia are nitpicking through AMD's optimization cheats - well IF "I" were nvidia "I'd" be more worried about the PhsyX coding - making it an even playing ground for competitors - rather than look down someone else's garbage.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Their points are valid. When it happened in the past we cried foul pretty loud. Now we don't care anymore? Looks like NVidia will never win.Maybe the image quality problem is not as severe as it was in the past. With small pixel sizes compared to the past, our eyes might no notice those problems as much anymore and that's why we don't care?Still... Boo on ATI for doing this.[/citation]

Again you are automatically taking Nvidia's word on this. This is from a company that was so scared of looking bad when the 6870 & 6850's were released that they told everyone that an overclocked geforce 460 was a much better option. Then a few days later most of those cards were no where to be found but they sure were reviewed a lot on AMD's release day.

My way of thinking is when AMD released the 6000 series Nvidia had nothing to counter it so they did a last ditch thing by telling EGVA to make it so these cards would appear as mainstream in the retail market which they did for a few days. It got what Nvidia wanted & that was to rain on AMD's release. But if Nvidia had nothing that day maybe they should have maybe did press kits on some of their upcoming cards but no they chose the under handed path.

Kinda like they are doing now with this press release about AMD's drivers. AMD/ATI have a lot of settings in their control panel most of the setting are set to balanced in Nvidia panel most setting are set to application controlled or default who knows what default means only Nvidia knows.

Point being at the end of the day both sets of cards graphics output is controlled by the games themselves from the games option panel so everything should look the same from both companies. The graphics card setting do not take over until the user goes in & forces setting from the graphics card control panel whether is is forcing higher settings or lower ones. Nvidia is pretty much barking up the wrong tree here & their complaint has little merit. enough said.

MisterJohnnyT

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Nvidia cards are made by fOXcONN in china.... this alone is enough reason to forever boycott EVERYTHING nvidia. foxconn is just as evil as blackwater and haliburton.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Who plays or tests rigs at such low resolutions? I have a cheap 5750 with 512DDR and I play all games on my monitor's max resolution, 1680x1050.

G

Wow shame on you AMD/ATI. It it wasnt for the government requiring 2 vendors for cpu's and forcing intel to release some technology information on cpu's AMD wouldnt exist anymore and those pesky driver issue ATI cards would be out of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.