Nvidia Points Finger at AMD's Image Quality Cheat

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, If Nvidia said it, it must be true (rolls eyes). What really gets me is all the people complaining how morally wrong AMD is. Guess what! You are the people Nvidia is directing this propaganda campaign at, and you are swallowing it, hook line and sinker!

Consider the source, and consider the moral standing of a company who routinely pays an entire PR department to engage in a smear campaign against their partner.

Sore Losers always cry Foul.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]What AMD is doing is lying in benchmarks to appear better. So when the benchmark says you get 5 FPS more than an nvidia card you would actually be getting the same FPS in a real situation. But, if you are told that a certain card is better, which one are you going to buy? These image quality settings are only being done in benchmarks, which is straight up wrong.[/citation]
Is it me or does Nvidia bitch alot??? Nvidia did the same thing...so what hypocrites. Seems all that Nvidia does is take shots at its competitors when they are lagging behind...or is it just me??? Nvidia reminds me of a bunch of 10 years old kids...

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I cannot just take Nvidia's word for it. This very well be the case of Nvidia's informational sabotaging ATI. Nvidia is not exactly unknown for underhanded tactics. Do you remember that Ubisoft removed support for DX 10.1 for Assassins Creed? Also,it disables PhysX when an AYI card is present. Besides, telling that Nvidia no longer does something similar is not a very honest answer. Take for example BatmanAA's partial screen anti-aliasing that works only on the Nvidia's cards. The ATI's card have to do AA on the entire screen. This is a similar stuff: optimization to do less work. Just the fact that Nvidia made it official and well known does not make it 'not cheating'; although making it well known, reduces 'damage' since reviewers are aware of the fact.

From the reviews I have seen so far, the image quality are very similar between the brands. In some cases there are some differences, but in most of them which card has better image quality is moot.

[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]If someone should improve drivers and fix numerous problems that would be AMD/ATI. They drivers are utter crap.[/citation]If you think the drivers are bad now, you should have owned an ATI card from the 1990's, like their RagePro series. The AWI series from then were notorious from insane driver install procedures. That was prior to ATI doing driver packs, everything was separate. I recently picked up a 5850 and driver install was uneventful and straightforward. I'm pretty sure Driver Sweeper cleaned everything out because I haven't had one driver based issue. Old driver remnants leftover from previous installs seems to be an issue when switching gpu's between nVidia or ATI and vice versa.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
it is good for me that nvidia found out the "cheat" in AMD test that AMD should respond for that - was it really a "cheat" of a software glitch. Nvidia should not just say that because they too have lots of problems on their cards too.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
This is getting very long... :pfff:

I don't think any of our opinion will be taken account by both companies... It's not like they'll grant our wish for a sub $100, low power consumption high performance GPU anyway (as in IMPOSSIBLE :p )... It's the end result (read: PRICE) that counts. As long as a decent product is tagged with a low price, then I'm in for it. I don't care if it's nVidia, AMD nor (maybe a third company named) CheapGPU :lol: . Whoever has the highest price to performance ratio, then they have my vote.

Cheap GPU FTW! :lol:

G

its just marketing and Nvidia know how to play it well. Its up to us to decide whats best but don`t full your self from some words. I am not an ati fen.i was with nvidia cards and with ati`s and they both are good.They spit to each other just to get more ppl get their products. I dont like Nvidia way of doing it coz we are not cattle and you say go there its better and we do it. Some ppl trust all they see thats the problem... you read listen buy and than talk :) ati is doing great job ! Nvidia too its just Nvidia dont like when ati is doing good :). dont trust marketing trust your self and other ppl that already have exp with the the cards and you wont do mistake.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]fstarnella[/nom]Who cares?? I just care about the end result. Whatever happens under the hood is fine by me.[/citation]
I agree with this statement.
I see no images to PROVE that the image quality has been compromised.
If AMD does optimizations that do NOT IMPEDE image quality, then all the better to them.
You say image quality has been compromised? Show me pixel by pixel, then ask me if I notice a difference, frame by frame. Ultimately, it should be up to ME THE CONSUMER to CHOOSE if I want better PERFORMANCE or IMAGE QUALITY.
Case in point: If my VGA is outdated and I want to play newer games, I would prefer invisible gimps on my screen than to play at a crappy resolution that limits my field of view, lower visual effects or less than good performance that hinders gameplay.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]What AMD is doing is lying in benchmarks to appear better. So when the benchmark says you get 5 FPS more than an nvidia card you would actually be getting the same FPS in a real situation. But, if you are told that a certain card is better, which one are you going to buy? These image quality settings are only being done in benchmarks, which is straight up wrong.[/citation]

nivida does the same thing , only difference now they are acting like they can define what is cheating and what is , not , basiclaly i take what they said here , as "cheating is only cheating when it affects image quality"
they are one company adn don't write the rules, though they act like they do.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]AngstPerpetual[/nom]Well, If Nvidia said it, it must be true (rolls eyes). What really gets me is all the people complaining how morally wrong AMD is. Guess what! You are the people Nvidia is directing this propaganda campaign at, and you are swallowing it, hook line and sinker! Consider the source, and consider the moral standing of a company who routinely pays an entire PR department to engage in a smear campaign against their partner.Sore Losers always cry Foul.[/citation]

don't forget the whoel incident with the original XBOX , wehre nvidia tried to weasal thier way out of thier contract obligations just because they didn't like how things were going (ie they were contracted to produce the graphic chips on original xbox for a set fixed ammount, about 2 years into xbox's life they decide they wanted more money from MS). of coruse Nvidia began to seam MS, not only in the console arena but in the PC market as well, it was hiularious watching a 800 lbs gorilla (nvidia) bassically curse and cry at a mountain (MS) when said gorila lived on the mountain. this falling out of coruse lead to MS contracting ATI/AMD for the xbox 360 gpu.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]If someone should improve drivers and fix numerous problems that would be AMD/ATI. They drivers are utter crap.[/citation]
This would be true maybe 2 years back, AMD did great job optimizing drivers. Yes they sometime mess up and need to release fixes, but so do nvidia.
Funny is I didnt have single crash on ATI driver in past year, but I cant say same about NVIDIA which even manage crash whole windows7 time from time.

NVDIA maybe have fastest single chip graphic card at moment, but they manage to do it at cost of higher TDP and temperature on chip so as soon as you add price and efficiency to equation AMD/ATI is winner at moment.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I'm so glad I don't care about celebrities. At the end of the day, siding with one company or the other is like following a celebrity's life, it is inevitable you will get burned by a drug-sex scandal/unethical and cheapshot accusations so why bother? As long as the final product is good, who cares what these people do?

I have owned two Nvidia cards: One a GTS 250 that I had to RMA three times (manufacturer fault of course) and the other a GTX 275 which was a free upgrade from said manufacturer. This one burns hot and guzzles power, but I'm satisfied with its performance.

I have also owned one ATI card, albeit briefly. An HD5770 and I was underwhelmed by its performance compared to the GTS 250 and it also had a major manufacturer flaw (imperfections in the heatsink surface, also a manufacturer error not ATI's). I disliked the 128-bit memory bus, it really ruined the card's performance.

tentaxlbunga

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I own 2PCs, one with gtx9800 that runs great (also hot)
The other one using ATI 5850, both using AMD processor.Im no Fanboy here, but i must admit that after the 9800gtx, Nvidia doesn't perform any better than ATI. And i always buy their product at least 4month after the launch, this way i can have better price-performance ratio.
But for future upgrade... who knows, i may turn back to Nvidia if they can provide me a reasonable product.

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
@guardianangle how were you underwhelmed by it's (5770) performance when it's a good 5 fps if not more faster than you GTS 250. Also I'm not completely sure of this but I can bet you that the 5770 takes less power load and idle. Also you should compare the 5770 to a GTX 260 they are somewhat closer in performance.

cphorn15

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
You guys keep saying this is just the put calling the kettle black, but the problem is that it's still black. Just because nvidia got caught cheating in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't look out for other cheaters. Cheating is ethically wrong, no matter how little our how big. Probably not gonna change any minds here though. Like stifle said earlier, haters gonna hate.

Syranetic

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]NotsonoobPCguy[/nom]@Syranetic wow your a real jerk, fan boy much? The developers choose either to make a bad or good port not nNvida or AMD. Nvidia puts their name in for advertising, and maybe give developers like 2K a little extra for including Physx. Why be sarcastic? This isn't a dusche bag competition. ATi makes better cards and they don't waste time and money showing off, unlike nVidia. Game making is all up to the developers nVidia pays extra to have games customized to perform better on their cards. Anyways I rather give to ATi because they are a smaller company and nVidia is a corperate greedy giant.[/citation]

Yes it's not a douchebag competition but you've clearly won anyway by demonstrating your flawless argument over why one product is better than the other... I was actually talking about how good the developer programs are with the hardware manufacturer (AMD vs NVIDIA) but again, your flawless argument and evangelism of AMD has me convinced now.

Syranetic

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Also @NotsonoobPCguy (real oxymoron there).

You should do a little fact checking like "ATI is a smaller company than NVIDIA".

Ummm... how? AMD is a CPU/GPU company that split and now has a separate foundry company.

Or with broad statements like "ATi makes better cards and they don't waste time and money showing off, unlike nVidia."

OH you mean like THIS video which AMD targets nvidia specifically with.

I mean honestly can you exhibit any more lack of understanding on the topic at hand? Don't answer that last question, that's called 'rhetorical'.

scorch0062

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
If anyone read the entire blog, you would see that NVidia didn't conduct the research and report their findings, third part websites did, such as TweakPC and ComputerBase....

Status
Not open for further replies.