Nvidia Pokes Fun at Intel by Using Cartoons

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom] In some sense, they are equally competitors against ATI/AMD. This bickering isn't helping either of them.[/citation]
In some sense, they are rather gravestones to the competition in the corresponding markets...

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Desparate moves from a desparate company imo. Nvidia knows they're in a world of hurt right now with stiff competition by ATI with their GPUs, Nvidia dropping their motherboard chipsets because their competition has better, and ION not being their 'savior'. Things are going to get ALOT worse for them once Larabee is released. Even if Larabee does not perform as well as an Nvidia GPU, it wont really matter simply because they don't have the marketing muscle. And honestly, I don't think the ex-transmeta staff will save them either. Their best bet anymore imo would be to develop for mobile devices only, or try to make a deal with a company like apple for exclusive rights to their computers. If not, I'd say R.I.P. NVIDIA within 5 years or less.
And as with demonhorde's comment about Nvidia being willing to work with Intel against the competition, it was actually the other way around. Nvidia would only work with Intel if Nvidia was able to own part of Intel. I can fully understand why Intel did not want to agree to that. Same thing happened before with AMD before the AMD/ATI merger. Nvidia wanted to own AMD, not just a merge. So honestly, who's really the bad company here?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I sense that a lot of the people posting here are kids with absolutely no understanding of business. In other words, basically fools that think life is a game, because they spend too much time playing games.

Big companies should always sound big. Never petty, never taking cheap shots at competition. You can never say anything too meaningful about your competition, because everyone knows you're biased, and naturally discounts it. You can say a lot about yourself, though, and these cartoons show Nvidia is a small time company, with an idiot for a CEO who has no business etiquette. Now, I'm sure the kiddies here think it's cute, but if you're a company CEO, you're going to be put off by this type of infantile behavior.

It's one thing for NVIDIA to try to convince people their products are better, by comparison. If they were comparing stuff like Apple and Microsoft do, it's OK. Notice how neither ever gets into nonsense like legal issues, or anything childish. One says their machines are easier to use, and setup. The other says machines based on their software are cheaper to buy. Both are legitimate, and are accepted as being competitive. When you show cartoons comparing your competitor with an ex-president lying about an indiscretion, or the Godfather, you're clearly breeching common business etiquette. They make themselves look foolish and small time, much more than they make Intel look bad. Real companies just don't do this stuff. They stay above it.

Let's face it. NVIDIA is going out of business. They know it, and Intel is a major reason why. But, their chipsets have been horrible and problematic, so it's not a bad thing. I don't know anyone who buys their chipsets, because they suck. Their video cards are generally competitive, but, then, that's a shrinking market as time goes along and as integration into the processor becomes more common. It might not go away completely, but it's hard to base a business on when your competitors have options you do not. They are being smart by trying to make software run on GPUs, but, then it's not going to catch on, despite a good effort. They waited WAY too long to get started on a CPU and now they'll go under. They can not compete with AMD and Intel without a CPU. That's the future of integration, and they wasted too long to understand it.

Cartoons aren't going to change it.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"They are being smart by trying to make software run on GPUs, but, then it's not going to catch on, despite a good effort. They waited WAY too long to get started on a CPU and now they'll go under. They can not compete with AMD and Intel without a CPU."

based on what exactly? just for such a serious sounding rant, these claims at the end seem pretty unfounded. especially saying GPGPU won't catch on. seems kinda like saying floating-point co-processors won't catch on, or multi-core won't catch on?

Apple's ads are crap as well. I mean one of the reasons to choose a mac is because it has identity and character, yet in the ads, its the PC character that has soul and that most human beings could identify with, not the soulless, humorless, douche that is the Mac character, he barely even has lines in the latest ones.

half of those ads spend the WHOLE time dissing MS, and don't say a single positive thing about their product, hell the last one didn't even mention an apple product!

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
nVidia is as right to be critical, or mock, Intel as much as any company can mock their competition for anything. It's been happening for years, it's not a big deal, and it's not really news anyway... (mostly because most of the cartoons aren't that great, I really wish they were funnier, imo, I would think nVidia could do something more clever and much better publicized, that would be more effective.)
nVidia should be upset.

1. ) Intel has the singular right to make chipsets for Intel, and they aren't giving that up any time soon, forcing nVidia to stay focused on AMD, which wouldn't be a big deal... except:
2. ) Intel used anti-trust practices to sell CPUs well below-cost (among other things) to keep high-capacity OEMS (such as Sony or Dell) to use their parts and not AMDs (and thus not nVidia.)

nVidia's core business is, in reality, as AMD's OEM chipset manufacturer... for now... AMD's 7xx series chipset is starting to grab all that, but that's nVidia's own fault for not making embedded parts and forcing AMD's hand. If nVidia were allowed to make "i" related chipsets, they probably wouldn't be doing this.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Damnit. Intel/nVidia setups kickass. I hope I can continue this in the future. I've had Intel/ATI and AMD/ATI setups, and my Intel/nVidia is by far the best one I've had.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
So Nvidia while trying to make their onboard video bussiness viable again have decided to spit in the face on intel. That doesn't sound like smart bussiness practices to me.
If larabee flops(kinda likely) intel may look to aquire nvidia as it'll have been softened up abit by them not being able to produce mobo's without a FSB. If that happens intel will gut them like a pig and make them pay for this.

kudos to nvidai for doing it anyway

lordcrazex

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
po..king..poking with cartoons?? I thought Nvidia was busy preparing for Fermi...

oh well, I guess sometimes even big companies gotta find 'creative' ways of letting off steam..LOOOOL ~(^^)~

G

I can't believe NVIDIA resorts to sour graping... They, the greatest GPU manufacturers in the world, resorting to sourgraping?

Somebody throw NVIDIA a lollipop so that they'd just calm the heck down!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.