Nvidia Powering World's Most Powerful Supercomputer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
18,688 16-core CPUs to do 15% of the load and 7000 to 18,000 Nvidia Kepler GPUs to do the rest? Why don't reduce the the cpu and add more GPU. Does the cpu cost less? And why the exact number for CPUs and a range of 11000 GPUs?

G

@kcorp2003 "Nvidia (NASDAQ: NVDA; /ɪnˈvɪdiə/ in-vid-ee-ə)[1] is an American global technology company based in Santa Clara, California. The company invented the graphics processing unit (GPU) in 1999."

G

Aricle Title should read: U.S. Department of Energy builds bitcoin miner to repair U.S. economy.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
"Titan will be used for a variety of important research projects, including the development of more commercially viable biofuels, cleaner burning engines, safer nuclear energy, and more efficient solar power."

...but mostly how to build better bombs, because that's where the money is.

Now I want to see this thing running 5,000 SSD's in raid with 10,000 gigs of ram. How many seconds would it take to load windows?

It would also be funny to watch the new guy get the run around when the two scientists send him to the other end of the system to put the installation disk in the cd rom drive...

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I'm sorry I live about 35 minutes from ORNL and have seen the their supercomputer JAGUAR it is nice. Can I say nice enough, there is no reason for them to build another computer other than the current pissing contest with other countries. I wish the US would find something better to do with our money like pay off national debt so china doesn't own us or something nope lets spend a couple billion and build a computer so fast it can tell us that we are stupid for building it in 4700 languages including ones we don't even know yet... Really!!!

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]The brain can be overclocked. It's just classified information atm.[/citation]
Few decades ago I hit gazillion yotahz with MSI Afterburner on my dog brain, he told me he would be back soon after he filled the world with BS but he never came back. If you find him, please, make him go home. He's name is Bill Gates.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
[citation][nom]shortbus25[/nom]I'm sorry I live about 35 minutes from ORNL and have seen the their supercomputer JAGUAR it is nice. Can I say nice enough, there is no reason for them to build another computer other than the current pissing contest with other countries. I wish the US would find something better to do with our money like pay off national debt so china doesn't own us or something nope lets spend a couple billion and build a computer so fast it can tell us that we are stupid for building it in 4700 languages including ones we don't even know yet... Really!!![/citation]
It's more like the US is owned by a bunch of countries.
China's GDP is still about 5 trillion with the us at about 15 trillion. China owns almost one trillion of our debt. Japan is almost equal. The UK is at half of that. The world in total carries about a third of the USA's 15 trillion dollar debt. Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.