Nvidia Rebrands Two Graphics Cards as 600 Series for OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I don't know why they don't just rename it the gtx 9999x. The uneducated masses clearly love those big numbers.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
"hey bro i just upgraded my old gtx460 to a new gtx620, but thanks to stupid windows and their drivers it is running horrible, now i have to wait for windows 8 so my 8 core amd cpu and video card will work"

When they rebranded the 9800gtx+ to a gts 250, i kinda shrugged because it was still a competent card(not to mention it dropped price around the same time), so there wasnt much to complain about. I don't even have a good comment for these; all i can figure is apple/dell/hp are wanting a cheap card so they can say, "WOW!!!New 600 series Nvidia card!!We are awesome, look at the price!!!"

I am aware this is a useless post, but so are these cards.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]bigmack70[/nom]Nvidia is getting worse than AMD with their rebranding of GPUs...It annoys me that they do this, but I guess there's enough gullible end users out there that it works.[/citation]How are they progressively getting worse? They've been doing this for a decade.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]bigmack70[/nom]Nvidia is getting worse than AMD with their rebranding of GPUs...It annoys me that they do this, but I guess there's enough gullible end users out there that it works.[/citation]
Nvidia has always been worse than ATI/AMD at this in my opinion. The best example coming to mind was the infamous 8800GT - good enough to stick it out for three generations. It would be nice when the two of them stop doing this, but they will continue. I understand fully why they do it, but wish they would at least stop issuing a new name for an old part - this creates a very gray area for litigation (surprised more sue-happy people haven't jumped on this one yet).

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Nvidia has always been worse than ATI/AMD at this in my opinion. The best example coming to mind was the infamous 8800GT....[/citation]

Even though i mentioned the 9800gtx+ above, i had forgotten the 8800gt->9800gt debacle

G

I could care less what they name their cards. If you are too stupid to look at the specifications before handing over your cash, thats your problem, not the manufacturers. Honestly if your buying a video card that is going into a gaming pc, you most likely know what you are looking for. If you Don't know what you are looking for then your not going to notice a difference in your facebook games anyhow.

[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]"hey bro i just upgraded my old gtx460 to a new gtx620, but thanks to stupid windows and their drivers it is running horrible, now i have to wait for windows 8 so my 8 core amd cpu and video card will work"When they rebranded the 9800gtx+ to a gts 250, i kinda shrugged because it was still a competent card(not to mention it dropped price around the same time), so there wasnt much to complain about. I don't even have a good comment for these; all i can figure is apple/dell/hp are wanting a cheap card so they can say, "WOW!!!New 600 series Nvidia card!!We are awesome, look at the price!!!"I am aware this is a useless post, but so are these cards.[/citation]

This sums it up pretty good for me as well.

lolngq.jpg

Because of yield problems the have a lot of defective chips. These chips with half the memory probably had part of the memory controller defective.
Just like the 192bit GTX460 models.
This allows them to sell defective chips. Instead of putting them in a landfill somewhere.
Not saying it is right or wrong ,just adding a different perspective to the arguement.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]michdad04[/nom]I could care less what they name their cards. If you are too stupid to look at the specifications before handing over your cash, thats your problem, not the manufacturers. Honestly if your buying a video card that is going into a gaming pc, you most likely know what you are looking for. If you Don't know what you are looking for then your not going to notice a difference in your facebook games anyhow.[/citation]Enthusiasts that build their own will do the research. Rebranding doesn't affect me personally (my next card will probably be a 7850 if nothing changes in the near future), but what about other PC gamers? If you can't/won't/don't want to build your own, should you need an engineering degree to know what computer to buy to play the latest titles?

You can't count on just "Well you get what you pay for" when it comes to graphics capabilities. If you did that, you could very well end up buying a fairly expensive machine with a really piss-poor OEM-rebranded video card (see above). Crap like this is why consoles sell like hotcakes. You plug it in, it plays games. It's not as pretty, but then again, a lot of people just don't care enough about that.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]KNO3[/nom]I don't know why they don't just rename it the gtx 9999x. The uneducated masses clearly love those big numbers.[/citation]
Lol, made me laugh IRL.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Who cares its not like these cards are gaming cards that any of us are going to purchase, dont get what the big deal is[/citation]

When I want to buy a Ferrari, I want to buy it for a reason. I should not be expected to go over every little tech detail to check if it has an actual performance engine, or a lawn mower engine.

When I want to buy the Prius 4, I expect it be overall better than the Prius 2. Not worse.

There's really no point in using numbers to identify the products' performance if a 420 outdoes a 620. I'd at least expect them to perform the same, or the 620 doing better, but that's not the case.

monsta

Splendid
[citation][nom]glenricky[/nom]Agree for the second statementHD4000 : 3DMark06 score 6841GT525m : 3DMark06 score 6902So why we have to buy GT525m anymore?? If we're not using AMD CPUhttp://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobil [...] 844.0.html[/citation]

Do you honestly believe these will be used in top end computers? I don't think so, its cheap OEM so that companies can use it in low end affordable computers for people that don't even care about gaming.
You can't even afford a Ferrari to be even using it as an example.....you probably own a graphics card thats low end , no wonder you are getting your knickers in a twist over it.LOL
Get over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS