Nvidia Releases Entire Lineup of DX11 Mobile GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danieth

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
GTX 480 looks like a real graphics card based on the specs... I only hope the cooling on these enthusiast will not include external heat pipes or water cooling (a joke, but maybe). I think Nvidia has won at least in the mobile department for raw power, while I think AMD (radeon) has gone for more power conservation.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Battery Life? LOL. Who plays games on battery? [/citation]

Gaming or idling, on either extreme the power consumption will still be ridiculously high. Even worse than ATI's mobility 5870 which can barely last an hour idling.

You can't convince me that these energy eating mobile gaming machines are primarily marketed towards LAN party gamers. That's a speck of dust in the notebook market, if not less. It's for people who are gullible enough to believe they can have a the true convenience of a laptop with the true power of a desktop. What those people end up realizing is that such a product does not yet exist.

It's not convenient to be sitting in an airport and having the battery die in a hour -- not even long enough to watch a movie. And for gaming it's not a great experience to be on a dinky 17" screen with an uncomfortable keyboard. If someone needs to be gaming that much on the go - ie they can't just wait until they get home to play, they might have serious personal issues.

[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Pretty impressive that they were able to update the entire mobile lineup this quickly and with truly new products and not just rebrands.For once.....good job nvidia![/citation]

Agreed. Kudos to nVidia for releasing all at once, and doing so fairly quickly.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]FoShizzleDizzle[/nom]Gaming or idling, on either extreme the power consumption will still be ridiculously high. Even worse than ATI's mobility 5870 which can barely last an hour idling.You can't convince me that these energy eating mobile gaming machines are primarily marketed towards LAN party gamers. That's a speck of dust in the notebook market, if not less. It's for people who are gullible enough to believe they can have a the true convenience of a laptop with the true power of a desktop. What those people end up realizing is that such a product does not yet exist. It's not convenient to be sitting in an airport and having the battery die in a hour -- not even long enough to watch a movie. And for gaming it's not a great experience to be on a dinky 17" screen with an uncomfortable keyboard. If someone needs to be gaming that much on the go - ie they can't just wait until they get home to play, they might have serious personal issues.[/citation]

Laptops with graphics like that are simply meant to be portable. No one is expecting long battery life here......rather it is a portable desktop with integrated screen keyboard mouse speakers and UPS. As for your remark about keyboards, the keyboard on my M17x is easily my favourite of all the keyboards I have used to date (and they were not all laptops or cheap)

Everyone seems to be under the delusion that if a laptop does not have a 6 hour battery life then it is a joke....And although not every wants these for LAN parties, many people just want to have one machine that they can take with them (say going between college and home) that is not completely weak (your 6+ hour battery life laptop crowd). If you think the market for people looking at these laptops is weak, try stopping by Notebook Review and visit the forums section. These highend laptops sell a considerable volume. And gullibility has absolutely nothing to do with it. If anything, gullible is expecting all laptops to perform just fine (approaching desktop performance) while getting a good battery life (MOST laptops don't last more than 3 hours anyways). You get battery life or performance. Not both. And I do not think anyone is confusing this point.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Yay, Optimus. Without the ability to switch to a less powerful integrated graphic card, using a laptop with semi-powerful discrete graphics for things like school work, or email/movies on the plane, would be impractical. With GPU switching, it's not a big deal.

These are late though. Nvidia should have had these cards ready weeks ago to better hit the college student market... which is ideal to market these types of GPUs to.

Now, who's Nvidia going to sell these to? Bored IT pros who want to play Bad Company in between support calls? Cuz the HS gamers don't have the money, business users don't care about the GPU performance, and and average joe non-IT adult doesn't know what Nvidia or a GPU even are.

Just another late release by Nvidia completely missing the boat for potential buyers. Wow their company sucks lately.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]So with no proof of benchmarks, first you assume it will beat what AMD has. Well, this is what, 9 months late to the party, so id hope it would beat AMD, even though it wouldnt surprise me if it doesnt. Next, it might consume a lot of power/cost a lot/run hot, and all those things that make Fermi 100 bad. So if anybody has been "owned" its nvidia as they are losing the war.[/citation]
You blast him for speculating and then speculate yourself in the same paragraph? LOL wtf.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
To everyone complaining about the heat... IT'S OLD NEWS NOW. All of the performance models derive from the GF104 architecture, which has the heat and power issues FIXED. I'm willing to bet that the GT435M will easily fit within a 25W thermal envelope, perfect for most mid-sized gaming notebooks.

I'm not an nvidia fanboy, but I sure as hell keep with the times.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]the_wolf88[/nom]Let's see if they can hold against Mobility 6000 !Get ready Jen-Hsun Huang your life will be miserable soon !![/citation]
That's pretty impressive that AMD already has the 6000 series out along with a laptop variant, oh wait none of that is true.

gaevs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]The inclusion of Optimus is no surprise given the relatively power-hungry nature of these chips, but doesn't that add to the price of implementation when you need another graphics chip in there to switch over to? Or am I missing something?[/citation]

Remember that this GPU's are for the i5 and i7, some of them are already with integrated graphics on die, so the "other GPU" is already there for free...

gaevs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
[citation][nom]haramir[/nom]I can't possibly be the only person here that can't help but add a "Prime" any time he reads the word "Optimus" can I?[/citation]

You are not alone, my friend... you are not alone...

random_guy417

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Still, for the price, I would stick with a desktop. I mean, seriously, how many LAN parties are people going to these days that they need a $2500+ laptop solely for gaming?

Since you can't play so many of today's games without internet connections (we all know what I'm talking about), I doubt there are many LAN games left that require much more than a netbook.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
There must be a typo... or 2 actually.

The 470 here has more shading power than the 480 here. Multiply CUDA cores by shader clock speeds. The 470 has a 5% advantage. Silly Nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.