Nvidia Releases OpenCL Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
That's good news. I hope OpenCL is incorporated into Windows 7 so I can make my dual Xeons (it's a Mac Pro) and GTX 295 play even nicer together :)

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
[citation][nom]marokero[/nom]That's good news. I hope OpenCL is incorporated into Windows 7 so I can make my dual Xeons (it's a Mac Pro) and GTX 295 play even nicer together[/citation]

why the nice video card with no apps to run on it? No DX on macintrash. OpenGL sucks a monkey's naughty part and few games even use it. Unless... your running bootcamp so you can run windows. If that is the case, then there is something terribly wrong with a person paying a huge apple tax to run a PC.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm always amazed by the anti-mac sentiment around here. I got the Mac Pro for working with Photo Mechanic, Aperture and Photoshop. There are a number of things in OS X that facilitate the use of those programs compared to the Windows versions, but accordingly, there are a number of things from Windows I wish OS X had (most notably greater GPU support). I put Vista 64 and the 295 so I can play COD4 and Grid when not working, and to vent steam from work related stress - what's so wrong about that? People apparently just can't get along here.

But back to the topic, OpenCL/CUDA could help speed up chores like the batch processing of raw files I do. Instead of 3-5 hours waiting for my dual core CPU to finish the job, the additional GPU power could shorten that time considerably. I have a 3870 in another computer that is doing nothing but display duty. I would love to put that to raw file processing duty.

shovel

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
It's good to see this. Now both major GPU players have Open CL there's no excuse for it not to be adopted by developers. Now we need the same for Physics.

ideas

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I hope there will be some developers taking advantage of this new parallel computing and implement a decent UPnP AV Media Server with transcoding.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]nkarasch[/nom]Why would you even say its a Mac Pro, you could just say computer. Oh wait you don't even have to say its a computer because we know. You wasted all that effort just to show you wasted your money for the apple logo and their girly OS.[/citation]

I love these kind of uninformed posts. So helpful. Never mind the fact that an 8 core Nehalem based Mac Pro is currently cheaper than a similarly specced Dell workstation. Most (maybe even all) Mac Pros have been a fair bit cheaper than their Dell contemporaries, at least in the first few months after release.

Of course, since I'm defending Apple and I'm pointing out a case where the 'Apple Tax' doesn't exist, I clearly have to be a 'mactard'. My 'macintrash' must be completely useless to me since 'few games even use it', which is obviously the main reason for a young professional to purchase a computer... games. Yeah. Never mind the thousands of hours of work I do with it.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Girly, nkarasch?

Oh, I see. Well MS seems to be applying tons of slap to its OS of late in a desperate attempt to catch up with Apple. Or maybe they're trying to outshine the Linux's (most of which look like a bunch of tragically dressed trannies hanging about in a seedy red-light district).

Still, Mac must be the real thing in your eyes: No silicone implants, slovenly posture or hair extensions there.

Now, when you have passed puberty come back to Uncle Tom and make some mature comments.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I, for one, can't stand OSX I had it once and it was so screwed up I couldn't even login, I had to go into the friggin login script and start putting lines of code in JUST TO LOG IN.

I just really can't see why people think it even compares to windows, or any type of linux (ubuntu gnome etc..)

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm certainly curious as to how easy OpenCL is to program with. The prospect of recoding my N-body simulations from Fortran or C into OpenCL is really quite daunting but the potential benefits would be astounding. My stuff doesn't use much memory anyway - it just needs fast memory. Hell, I'd probably see a significant speed boost just running it on DDR5 memory without using any multithreading even!

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]The_One111[/nom]I, for one, can't stand OSX I had it once and it was so screwed up I couldn't even login, I had to go into the friggin login script and start putting lines of code in JUST TO LOG IN.I just really can't see why people think it even compares to windows, or any type of linux (ubuntu gnome etc..)[/citation]

That sounds mighty odd. Was it a hackintosh version you were running or didn't you know the password? I've never heard of that before.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I don't see the full comment by nkarasch at all. Did you borrow that from another article or did it dissappear. I can unhide marokero's comment just fine?

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
The real kicker of this...

If OpenCL really...I mean...REALLY takes off and gets regularly utilized by devs...

Suddenly the value of a notebook/netbook with a "relatively" strong onboard gpu will surge.

Will be interesting to see if/where bottlenecks shift around as this technology develops further.

mamapajama97

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I am very anxious to see how OpenCL works out. I do a lot of video encoding and would love to be able to speed up that process without degrading the quality of the encoded video.

Status
Not open for further replies.