Nvidia Reportedly Looking for Alternative Foundries for 28nm

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi Nvidia. I'll lend you my oven. Please leave three 680's as payment.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I now know that Samsung has fabs. I thought every company that wasn't Intel used a third party, or a fab agreement of some sort, usually TSMC or GlobalFoundries.

I also heard that nVidia might have contacted Intel.

G

BOOO HOOOO. We don't know how to make our products ourselves because we ship (outsource) all manufacturing jobs overseas....BOOOOOO HOOOOOO.

If you want something done right, do it yourself, Nvidia.

nVidia has also stated they want 450mm wafers, and so far Intel is the main driver behind it, with some of the IBM cartel looking into it as well.
Problem is, the very tool makers themselves arent sure they want to make such an investment.
As nodes get smaller, only the larger sellers ae using them from startup, and as seen in TSMCs production, their investments on 28nm may go up, but that also leaves the older processes at a loss.
They have commitments as well, and this isnt some evil conspiracy.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wgknestrick[/nom]BOOO HOOOO. We don't know how to make our products ourselves because we ship (outsource) all manufacturing jobs overseas....BOOOOOO HOOOOOO.If you want something done right, do it yourself, Nvidia.[/citation]

a fab is a multibillion $ investment, you would probably end up in the red about 5-10billion before you churn out one chip.

for most companies who don't make obscene amounts of money, a 3rd party fab is the better option, because that IS there business, building and running the fab, where for you it would be a major part, but not the sole purpose of your business.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]TSMC is shooting themselves in the foot trying to drive higher prices by controlling volume. Here's the proof.[/citation]

Problem is their yield, not their intentional volume control. At this time, Samsung has the most efficient production technology/know-how/capacity required for the smallest nodes.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Im surprised that TSMC didnt look far enough in the future to foresee this issue. AMD has cut many ties to GF and has shown its unsettlement in TSMC, Nvidia is looking to leave TSMC. Well Samsung and Intel congratulations, you are going to be the big winners after these smaller companies finally find a better fit for themselves.

Wasnt money why TSMC skipped a shrink, and still they dont have 28nm up to production? If this is the case they are very behind and still falling. Would two fabs joining be able to help this? (TSMC/GF?) I know AMD Nvidia are only 2 of probably dozens of clients but this has been a growing issue from what I have seen.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Too bad for the Apple fanboys. They've been crowing since last year about Apple showing Samsung the door. Unless TSMC sprinkles unicorn dust on its fabs, there's a strong likelihood Apple will have to continue asking Samsung to build its CPUs.

I'd say let's throw out the kleenix boxes for the Apple fanboys.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]Hi Nvidia. I'll lend you my oven. Please leave three 680's as payment.[/citation]

Made my day. Yeah, Kepler's to die for!

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jack99[/nom]Too bad for the Apple fanboys. They've been crowing since last year about Apple showing Samsung the door. Unless TSMC sprinkles unicorn dust on its fabs, there's a strong likelihood Apple will have to continue asking Samsung to build its CPUs. I'd say let's throw out the kleenix boxes for the Apple fanboys.[/citation]

I wonder if Apple would consider building/buying it's own fab? They certainly have the cash on hand to do so.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]yargnit[/nom]I wonder if Apple would consider building/buying it's own fab? They certainly have the cash on hand to do so.[/citation]

Dont't know it it is worth it for them, that is if they can make full use of the capacity.

jack99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
[citation][nom]yargnit[/nom]I wonder if Apple would consider building/buying it's own fab? They certainly have the cash on hand to do so.[/citation]

[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]Dont't know it it is worth it for them, that is if they can make full use of the capacity.[/citation]

Exactly. Why bother spending tens of billions of dollars on fabs unless you're going to use it to near-full capacity? Especially seeing how volatile the market tends to be? Apple's not a manufacturing company for crying out loud!

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
This indicates how badly Kepler production is affected. I don't think switching to another company is easy. It will be interesting to see NV's quarterly results. IvyBridge is around the corner, perhpas OEMs have to go with more AMD chips than NV. Good luck to all waiting for Kepler!

Status
Not open for further replies.