News Nvidia Reportedly Transforming A100 Into a Mining GPU, With a 210 MH/s Hash Rate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
@InvalidError
I do remember reading some Youtube posts from people in some of the not so well off regions are seeing an increase in blackouts/brownouts.
Coincidence much?

For all the hand-wringing and belly-aching over Global Cooling / Warming / Climate Change / Climate Variability or whatever we're calling it now, I'm surprised 'Crypto Mining' hasn't been a high profile target for Grumpy Greta and her ilk.

Regardless, if these cards are more efficient and generate a higher RoR, then yes, their availability could take some pressure off the desktop GPU market (maybe for low to mid-range cards at least). However, I'm not sure there is any magic here for solving the supply chain issues with component parts. Nvidia will still have to chose whether to focus limited resources on 'gaming' GPUs or 'mining' GPUs.