News Nvidia Reportedly Transforming A100 Into a Mining GPU, With a 210 MH/s Hash Rate

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
This will do much to make miners question video card purchases. This is more great news.

Hopefully AMD follows suit and makes mining cards more powerful than any of its video cards in the mining context.

InvalidError

Titan
Ethereum can use extra VRAM: more RAM across more memory channels means you can have multiple copies of the DAG to run concurrent ETH shaders without them trampling over each other much, especially when you factor in the amount of time the GPU will be wasting waiting for memory rows to open/close and the memory bank interleaving to let other shaders do useful work on on other banks during that time on a memory channel that would otherwise be idle.

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
This will do much to make miners question video card purchases. This is more great news.

Hopefully AMD follows suit and makes mining cards more powerful than any of its video cards in the mining context.

I dont think so; maybe for small scale miners, but the problem is those building huge mining facilities that will buy everything they can get their hands on, going directly to distributer paying extra to have thousands of cards; these are the problems, they are never satisfied.

Reactions: Krotow

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017

Why would it, GPUs will still be able to mine profitably? As long as they are profitable they will be in high demand.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I dont think so; maybe for small scale miners, but the problem is those building huge mining facilities that will buy everything they can get their hands on, going directly to distributer paying extra to have thousands of cards; these are the problems, they are never satisfied.

The issue is what they can't get their hands on. There is no current supply of video cards. So a miner is going to buy miner cards due to simple availability.

This will restore sanity to the market as the products get refined. Two or three generations down the road and this problem won't ever happen.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
The issue is what they can't get their hands on. There is no current supply of video cards. So a miner is going to buy miner cards due to simple availability.

This will restore sanity to the market as the products get refined. Two or three generations down the road and this problem won't ever happen.

Miners will buy whatever they can get a hold of, and whatever does the job well enough for the money they've spent. So they will buy these cards, sure, but they will also continue to keep buying gaming cards as they trickle into availability. Having a dedicated card like this just gives them one more option to choose from, albeit a more tailored one.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I like the design of the card, simple and angular. Not that I'm going to buy one though.
Of course not. The A100 is not a video card and won't function as one. With no active cooling, it wouldn't even work in a standard desktop case unless you have some insane airflow blowing through it.

If Nvidia intends to sell this at only $3000, how are they going to cripple it to make it unattractive to customers that currently have to drop $10k for an A100?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why would it, GPUs will still be able to mine profitably? As long as they are profitable they will be in high demand.
Maybe to prevent long term future problems - that is, if they sell mining-specific cards, then when cryptocurrency crashes, there's less of a flood of cheap used GPUs cutting into sales of new GPUs.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I put some money in ethereum, but every day i check it wishing the whole cryto craze will die. I hate all the resources being waisted and all the coal being burnt to full these farms. it really concerns me. that one article about bitcoin miners made 64 billion in one moth is ridiculous.

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Sadly, I expect they will just buy these TOO. As long as they can make money with the video cards, they'll buy all of them.

Co BIY

Splendid
I put some money in ethereum, but every day i check it wishing the whole cryto craze will die. I hate all the resources being waisted and all the coal being burnt to full these farms. it really concerns me. that one article about bitcoin miners made 64 billion in one moth is ridiculous.

Have you tried to cash out at a peak value?

These bubbles don't go on forever.

I would like to understand your goal with your Ethereum investment and why you are not enjoying the current ride.

Co BIY

Splendid
I hope someone out there is figuring out a way to gather all this mining computer power and use it for distributed computer science, drug development, weather prediction, AI-produced cat memes or something else socially productive when the demand for crypto compute crashes.

Do you think Nvidia is using damaged or underperforming A100 dies for these cards? That would make a ton of sense to me.

Although a game focused Titan-type card would be a more interesting product for those castoffs to me I probably wouldn't be buying it either.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe to prevent long term future problems - that is, if they sell mining-specific cards, then when cryptocurrency crashes, there's less of a flood of cheap used GPUs cutting into sales of new GPUs.
See, I've been wondering for awhile now, why more people haven't noticed this.
When the last crash happened, there was a flood of GTX 10 series and RX 400-500 series cards, and you can bet that ate into the already lousy Turing sales.
Same thing will happen again come Lovelace, Hopper, or whatever the heck they're going to call it.

Reactions: adamboy64

InvalidError

Titan
Same thing will happen again come Lovelace, Hopper, or whatever the heck they're going to call it.
That is contingent on crypto crashing again. Having another BTC heist crashing people's confidence in crypto is far from being a certainty. If crypto remains steady, miners won't be ditching their old GPUs until they either max out whatever space and power they have available or the complexity increases to the point that old GPUs aren't profitable to run anymore, in which case it could be a year or two longer before 2nd-hand 2-3 years old GPUs find their way to the bargain bin in masses.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That is contingent on crypto crashing again. Having another BTC heist crashing people's confidence in crypto is far from being a certainty. If crypto remains steady, miners won't be ditching their old GPUs until they either max out whatever space and power they have available or the complexity increases to the point that old GPUs aren't profitable to run anymore, in which case it could be a year or two longer before 2nd-hand 2-3 years old GPUs find their way to the bargain bin in masses.
Great... I already had a small doubt in the back of my mind:
"Bitcoin is currently over 50K. How far is that going to have to crash for us to get a repeat of the last one?"

It's not even a matter of whether or not it crashes, but if it crashes hard enough.
Lovely...

Reactions: adamboy64

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
Great... I already had a small doubt in the back of my mind:
"Bitcoin is currently over 50K. How far is that going to have to crash for us to get a repeat of the last one?"

It's not even a matter of whether or not it crashes, but if it crashes hard enough.
Lovely...
Wait until Elon Musk sells its bitcoins, I believe it will create panic and everybody will sell theirs. Musk is a clever person, he knows the bubble wont go forever, that is why he put a huge amount (about 5bil), knowing fully that this act would send the bitcoin up, then he sends tweet in regard to bitcoins once in a while to boost the market, and when it has no effect and the market begin stagnating, I expect that he will sell all he have, causing a chain reaction. That, IMAO, will be hilarious.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Wait until Elon Musk sells its bitcoins, I believe it will create panic and everybody will sell theirs. Musk is a clever person, he knows the bubble wont go forever, that is why he put a huge amount (about 5bil), knowing fully that this act would send the bitcoin up, then he sends tweet in regard to bitcoins once in a while to boost the market, and when it has no effect and the market begin stagnating, I expect that he will sell all he have, causing a chain reaction. That, IMAO, will be hilarious.
Geezus...
I'm surprised Jeff Bezos hasn't invested in it yet - or he did, he just didn't publicly announce it like Musk strategically did.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm surprised Jeff Bezos hasn't invested in it yet - or he did, he just didn't publicly announce it like Musk strategically did.
In the interest of sustainable development and fighting climate change, more countries should follow India's lead and ban crypto-currencies for being unnecessary power hogs, e-waste generators, difficult to regulate and heavily used by criminals to obfuscate their money trail. Many governments and companies are stashing BTC and other crypto simply so they don't have to pay whatever the future spot price may be if they ever get hit by ransomware or something else of the sort.

I'd imagine Tesla would be willing to pay a fair amount of BTC to prevent its secrets from getting leaked, enabling aftermarket parts and repairs for key components that Tesla charges almost the cost of a whole new car for and causes whole cars to get written off for seemingly trivial accidents.

InvalidError

Titan
@InvalidError
I do remember reading some Youtube posts from people in some of the not so well off regions are seeing an increase in blackouts/brownouts.
Coincidence much?
Most of the national-scale bans cite lack of control and oversight as the primary reason for banning crypto - keeping power in power. Potentially saving people from screwing themselves over worse than banks and the stock market already do is an accidental benefit. Smaller scale bans at the regional or even municipal level though are mostly out of concern for the local power grids.

Reactions: Phaaze88

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Cool, more cards for scalpers and miners. As long as a card has a good chance of making money fast enough to pay for itself miners will buy them.
The idea of buying a service like stadia or geforce now(but good and reliable) is becoming more and more appealing to me, kind of tired of having to deal with this everytime crypto crap starts growing.