Nvidia Reports Best Year Ever, Shipping Tegra 4 in July

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Hopefully the Nvidia Shield will support PC streaming from AMD videocards[/citation]
ya right...
They won't even be supporting Fermi let alone AMD.

so nvidia made money last year and they're gearing up for a new soc release. that's so totally unlike the other company that didn't make money...much...
anywho, i'm more interested to know how much their pc gpu business made, especially kepler.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]You can keep your tegra shite. I'm not falling for your marketing again.[/citation]

Nothing wrong with Tegra, when it was released it was one of the best things available.
As time goes on it's grown old, but an admirably performing high end product.

Nexus 7 still works like a boss.

G

Sucks that their 700 series cards are delayed until Fall. Was looking forward to a shiny new 780.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It's a bold and potentially very expensive move to get into consumer hardware manufacture.

I think Shield will Flop but they should learn a lot and be ready for Shield 2.

[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Sucks that their 700 series cards are delayed until Fall. Was looking forward to a shiny new 780.[/citation]
As it seems 780 will be a GK114 an upgrade from 680 :( and not a real upgrade from Titan. The real upgrade to Titan will come from GTX880 which will be a GM100 with 3k+ cores. Source: TPU.

jdwii

Splendid
Anyone who thinks this is because of their discrete GPU market needs to get a life. This is purely Cell phone/tablet success.

Project Shield should be cool if you have a beast desktop and want to game on a laptop somewhere else. But as for phones this is going to be as rare as physx in games.

gdfrisco

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Not falling for nvidia hype ($$$$)never again either, I had an asus transformer tf101(tegra 2), what a great hardware device with the slowest SoC I've seen, then I was involved in the tf201 prime scam(preorder fiasco)then I bought a tf700t(slow piece of crap), tegra 3 SoC running at 1.6Ghz(3rd generation tegra 3) was too underpowered to push pixels at 1900x1200 resolution smoothly, traded it for a transformer tf300t(tegra 3 at 1280x800 ) again it was painfully slow until I put a custom rom(Blue V3.0) OC'd to 1.6Ghz and now it runs pretty good, not great. Was going to get a Nexus 10, decided instead to get a $97 device called minix Neo X5 with great reviews over the web, (dual core rk3066 1.6Ghz, 1 Gig RAM,etc)basically a google tv with full android capabilities and now I use my tf300t to control my Geo X5 which outputs android jelly bean 4.1(at 1080p) to my gorgeous LG LED 55" TV. My advise to people, there is no need to slash those hard earned bick bucks on expensive tablets, get a tablet as google nexus 7, which currently represents the best bang for the buck($199), my 2 cents prediction: the chinese SoC manufacturers as Allwinner ,rockchip and amlogic, will eventually dominate the android market(price/performance).

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the speculation that they were selling would-be 660's under 680 moniker judging by dye size and computation power. Right? :ange:

anywho, i'm more interested to know how much their pc gpu business made, especially kepler.

You can get a good idea of where they sit in the market compared to the competition here:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Scroll down to the 2nd grouping entitled DX11 cards if ya interested in "recent history".....

Here's the top 20 cards hitting Steam servers as of the end of January

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
ATI Radeon HD 5770
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
ATI Radeon HD 6870
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
ATI Radeon HD 6850
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
ATI Radeon HD 6950
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Nvidia isn't going to make that much this year. Book it! Late start with the (overrated) Teg4 and an 'gaming device' that really isn't that powerful when talking about games. Maybe if they came out first with the next gen ARM processors, but they uk'ed up by letting Qualcomm go first.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Hopefully the Nvidia Shield will support PC streaming from AMD videocards[/citation]

The streaming only works in your house (PC and Shield have to be on same network). So you'd have to be wanting to game, but also not wanting to game at your PC, and play the same game on a little 5" screen.

Personally the only time I can ever see myself wanting that would be when I'm in bed or something. When I'm not laying in my bed and on the verge of sleep I cannot think of a single reason why I wouldn't go over to my computer and experience a better visual, audio, and controls experience.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]The streaming only works in your house (PC and Shield have to be on same network). So you'd have to be wanting to game, but also not wanting to game at your PC, and play the same game on a little 5" screen.Personally the only time I can ever see myself wanting that would be when I'm in bed or something. When I'm not laying in my bed and on the verge of sleep I cannot think of a single reason why I wouldn't go over to my computer and experience a better visual, audio, and controls experience.[/citation]My thoughts exactly. This doesn't replace gaming at your PC, nor does it really supplement it well. It also doesn't compete with actual cloud-based systems. I'm really not terrible sure what the point of this is. On top of that, it is proprietary. You have to use their mobile system and certain models of their graphics cards. This reduces their potential userbase even further.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Nothing wrong with Tegra, when it was released it was one of the best things available.As time goes on it's grown old, but an admirably performing high end product.Nexus 7 still works like a boss.[/citation]

All of the current Tegra SoCs had far from top of the market graphics performance when released. They aren't bad, but they are overrated, especially in their graphics. I type this as a happy owner of a Nexus 7 with an older Tegra 3 :)

[citation][nom]nino_z[/nom]Produce Good products = Make a lot of money[/citation]

Producing good products does not necessarily mean that you make a lot of money. The list of good products that flopped that I can count myself has dozens of entries and it's a mere spec of dust before an elephant if we were to really look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.