Nvidia Responds to GeForce 600 Series V-Sync Stuttering Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between AMD and nVidia is not so much the track record of driver related bugs (although it seems that AMD does have a few more than nVidia), but that nVidia has a good and relatively prompt response to issues, while AMD is not nearly as up front about their problems, or as prompt about making fixes.

[citation][nom]kniped[/nom]Vsync frequently makes a game unplayable with a mouse anyways so who does this really affect?[/citation]
what are you talking about? Vsync is great for reducing screen tearing issues, and helping up the graphical quality without issue (limited frame rate generally frees up more processing power for higher settings). If it is causing that many issues for you then I would suspect something to be wrong with your machine, not with vsync.

[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]was it regular vsync or adaptive vsync that affected? and do pre 600 series affected too? (500,400,200,9,8,7,6,fx,4,3,2,tnt?)[/citation]

I think that the problem is isolated to the GTX 600 cards and most likely just the Kepler cards of that series, the Fermi GTX 600 cards are probably not affected.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]what are you talking about? Vsync is great for reducing screen tearing issues, and helping up the graphical quality without issue (limited frame rate generally frees up more processing power for higher settings). If it is causing that many issues for you then I would suspect something to be wrong with your machine, not with vsync.[/citation]

how does v sync free up resources? because it limits the frame rate? if you up the settings beyond what your graphics card is capable of the frame rate will dip below the v sync frequency. v sync is meant to eliminate screen tearing and in no way does it free up resources

G

what a difference in attitude between talking about this and talking about the amd texture issue a month ago. clear bias for nvidia on this site

[citation][nom]jon_b[/nom]what a difference in attitude between talking about this and talking about the amd texture issue a month ago. clear bias for nvidia on this site[/citation]

Complete lie and you know it. There was no bias in how Tom's did that AMD article and there is no bias in this one. In fact, Tom's clearly says that Nvidia's message was not very reassuring whereas AMD fixed their problem before Tom's addressed it, so if there is any bias, it'd against Nvidia, not against AMD. Fail troll is fail.

Landsharkk

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2002
[citation][nom]ewood[/nom]how does v sync free up resources? because it limits the frame rate? if you up the settings beyond what your graphics card is capable of the frame rate will dip below the v sync frequency. v sync is meant to eliminate screen tearing and in no way does it free up resources[/citation]

Actually it does free-up resources. If a GPU is able to constantly provide above 60FPS in your game, then it could free up some resources when turning v-sync on. A GPU working with no v-sync will most likely be at or near 100% utilization. However, with v-sync enabled the GPU might then be working at 75% utilization (because it has no need to try and render at 61+ FPS).

The real question is, how do you take advantage of the extra resources in the GPU when you have v-sync enabled.

[citation][nom]Landsharkk[/nom]Actually it does free-up resources. If a GPU is able to constantly provide above 60FPS in your game, then it could free up some resources when turning v-sync on. A GPU working with no v-sync will most likely be at or near 100% utilization. However, with v-sync enabled the GPU might then be working at 75% utilization (because it has no need to try and render at 61+ FPS). The real question is, how do you take advantage of the extra resources in the GPU when you have v-sync enabled.[/citation]

The only resources that would not be used would be parts of the GPU that then can't do anything else. For example, some cores might either idle or not work as hard, but what can you do about it? What would they be used for if you could take advantage of them? They might be needed to be held in reserve to keep FPS over 60 during intensive parts of a game or whatever.

Basically, even if they could be used for something else, they might not be usable for the game (or whatever) that is running on the other cores when it needs more resources for a few particularly heavy frames and then frame rate drops and V-Sync might take things down from 60FPS to 30FPS. Adaptive V-Sync should fix that, but as of right now, Nvidia is obviously having problems (the whole point of this article), so maybe it's just not worth the trouble.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Landsharkk[/nom]Actually it does free-up resources. If a GPU is able to constantly provide above 60FPS in your game, then it could free up some resources when turning v-sync on. A GPU working with no v-sync will most likely be at or near 100% utilization. However, with v-sync enabled the GPU might then be working at 75% utilization (because it has no need to try and render at 61+ FPS). The real question is, how do you take advantage of the extra resources in the GPU when you have v-sync enabled.[/citation]

I always get a lower frame-rate when I enable v-sync than when I disable it.

[citation][nom]whimseh[/nom]Not noticing any stuttering at all with my GTX 680.[/citation]

Different hardware and software specs will effect whether or not there is stutter and different people will effect whether or not they can see it even if it is three, so of course not everyone will have the same experience with it. The fact that so many customers are experiencing it shows that there is a problem because it shouldn't be happening, especially to a large amount of customers.

[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]I always get a lower frame-rate when I enable v-sync than when I disable it.[/citation]

That helps to prove Landsharkk partially right. His/her point was that there are fewer resources in use when you enable V-Sync and if you get a lower frame rate from enabling V-Sync, that is evidence supporting his/her claim because it is usually safe to assume that by enabling V-Sync, the lower frame rate is caused by less utilization of the GPU's resources because it isn't wasting resources by trying to get a frame rate that is above what the monitor can display.

mpioca

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]what are you talking about? Vsync is great for reducing screen tearing issues, and helping up the graphical quality without issue (limited frame rate generally frees up more processing power for higher settings). If it is causing that many issues for you then I would suspect something to be wrong with your machine, not with vsync.[/citation]

I cannot stand playing with Vsync on since enabling it causes input lag. It's one of the most annoying things when the mouse becomes less responsive in my opinion. But of course, it's a matter of preference after all.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Different hardware and software specs will effect whether or not there is stutter and different people will effect whether or not they can see it even if it is three, so of course not everyone will have the same experience with it. The fact that so many customers are experiencing it shows that there is a problem because it shouldn't be happening, especially to a large amount of customers.That helps to prove Landsharkk partially right. His/her point was that there are fewer resources in use when you enable V-Sync and if you get a lower frame rate from enabling V-Sync, that is evidence supporting his/her claim because it is usually safe to assume that by enabling V-Sync, the lower frame rate is caused by less utilization of the GPU's resources because it isn't wasting resources by trying to get a frame rate that is above what the monitor can display.[/citation]

I don't know if it is my particular card or what, but when I enable v-sync on games like Just Cause 2, my FPS takes a hit. It theoretically shouldn't matter since I run a little bit under 60 FPS with everything maxed out yet I go from around 45-60 with vsync off and then I get about 20-40 with vsync on.

[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]I don't know if it is my particular card or what, but when I enable v-sync on games like Just Cause 2, my FPS takes a hit. It theoretically shouldn't matter since I run a little bit under 60 FPS with everything maxed out yet I go from around 45-60 with vsync off and then I get about 20-40 with vsync on.[/citation]

You're only supposed to use V-Sync when you have a minimum frame rate of over 60FPS. Otherwise, it limits FPS to about 30FPS. Either don't use V-Sync, upgrade your graphics, or lower settings so that your minimum FPS goes up, or else V-Sync will hurt performance for you. The point of V-Sync is to eliminate tearing caused by having frame rates above the refresh rate of your display and if you use it when you don't have such high frame rates, it then limits FPS to half of your display's refresh rate. You are using V-Sync incorrectly.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You're only supposed to use V-Sync when you have a minimum frame rate of over 60FPS. Otherwise, it limits FPS to about 30FPS. Either don't use V-Sync, upgrade your graphics, or lower settings so that your minimum FPS goes up, or else V-Sync will hurt performance for you. The point of V-Sync is to eliminate tearing caused by having frame rates above the refresh rate of your display and if you use it when you don't have such high frame rates, it then limits FPS to half of your display's refresh rate. You are using V-Sync incorrectly.[/citation]

The problem is, I get some annoying screen tearing if I don't turn v-sync on.

Status
Not open for further replies.