Nvidia Revealing Tegra 3 at MWC Next Month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Why announce a new product and make the one that hasn't really even hit the market yet obsolete? Great marketing there. Makes me want to go buy something I know you are getting set to replace very quickly.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
tegra 2 has is barely on anything and theyre already saying theyll release a new one every year? At this rate itll be impossible futureproof and be ready for good powerful apps. Im not buying a new phone every year just to play a new tegra game...

it looks like apple has influenced everyone...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I agree with the comments above. I haven't really seen any real marketing for Tegra 2 yet. This would make me not want to get a Tegra 2 device. I don't think this is the best strategy.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Not really so surprising in the IT industry is it? What doesn't change in a year. 12 months from now you'll have more powerful CPUs, GPUs, faster SSDs, pretty much everything. You have to jump on at some point because there's always something better around the corner.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]SlickyFats[/nom]Why announce a new product and make the one that hasn't really even hit the market yet obsolete? Great marketing there. Makes me want to go buy something I know you are getting set to replace very quickly.[/citation]

You should be happy about that. Now you have the chance to get the latest and greatest. Isn't it good a company does something to benefit it's customers instead of the bottom line?

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]You should be happy about that. Now you have the chance to get the latest and greatest. Isn't it good a company does something to benefit it's customers instead of the bottom line?[/citation]
It doesn't benefit me in anyway. They are using Apple's marketing scheme. And all they do care about is the bottom line. Put out a product with plans to release a new one each year to entice consumers to buy one and then "need" the next big thing.
Where is fails though is like me wanting a Samsung Galaxy Tab, but I refuse to buy this one because there is already talk of the next one having a better screen and dual core. No thanks, I'll wait.
I don't buy into that type of marketing. I would prefer if a company put out the best product they can rather than a mediocre product and add a few features to it each time and call it a new product.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
its nvidia... they'll slap a new number series with a minor change and call it good with a full arch change about on the schedule fo the competition.

but hey a subtle improvment is a improvment nonetheless so that works :D

maxh2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I don't understand why people are bitching about better technology coming quicker... "No, keep those new processors to yourself, Nvidia, I don't care that they're faster and better. If you release them I might feel bad about my last purchase not measuring up. So instead slow down technological development, please."

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Considering we are just now seeing tegra 2 devices coming out, it would seem that it would take another full year before we BEGIN to see tegra 3 devices. I personally like this, keep things moving forward.

Does it help the bottom line? Sure - but nvidia isn't trying to lose money...

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]maxh2[/nom]I don't understand why people are bitching about better technology coming quicker... "No, keep those new processors to yourself, Nvidia, I don't care that they're faster and better. If you release them I might feel bad about my last purchase not measuring up. So instead slow down technological development, please."[/citation] Seriously the only people complaining are people with a axe to grind or ignorant people no is forcing you to get a new phone every year, but it's nice to know they'll improve yearly so if you want to you can.

In fact for some people getting a new high tech phone every year would be a drop in the bucket anyway.

Instead of releasing it they really ought to work on it further and skip a whole generation and then release the new one, that way they save the consumer all the confusion of having to keep buying new stuff and not knowing how much better it was from their last buys. I wouldn't agree on slowing down the technological progress, but releasing it yes..... they need to give a good gap between models, that way they can justify the high price and yet be competitive in the GPU market....

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
it's just now that I realized that Microsoft made sense making a version Win8 for ARM...not just for tablets, but also desktops.
i thought, nvidia just conceived an ARM system just to be relevant in the future,yet, they could be serious competition to small chips of Intel and AMD.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
that wouldn't be competitive...they're doing it for competition.
consider AMD and Nvidia, releasing better and faster cards almost every 6 months. anyways, don't bother with latest tech, wouldn't be much of a difference to last year's.
what Nvidia is proving here though is they can deliver graphics better and faster than other SoC.

[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Instead of releasing it they really ought to work on it further and skip a whole generation and then release the new one, that way they save the consumer all the confusion of having to keep buying new stuff and not knowing how much better it was from their last buys. I wouldn't agree on slowing down the technological progress, but releasing it yes..... they need to give a good gap between models, that way they can justify the high price and yet be competitive in the GPU market....[/citation]

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Nvidia is not copying Apple. Nvidia has historically released new graphics chips every year. In fact they try to release slightly new ones every six months. No one should be surprised that Nvidia plans to release a new processor chip every year. This is in line with the companies past performance. It is not an attempt to copy Apple. It is simply the way Nvidia works.

For the IPOD people who have moved to Tom's Hardware, let me explain something about the computer model. For about 30 years we had a real doubling in processor power every 18 months. A computer that you bought in 1990 would be 1/2 the power of one bought in 1993. Now I realize that many of you only think about the modern era, the late 2000s when computer processing power has pretty much hit a brick wall, where we add useless cores and claim that product is much better (even though you can't tell it when you are using it). But that's because AMD and Intel have both become bloated companies which are far too concerned about the number of processors rather than processor speed.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]ImagineTek[/nom]Not really so surprising in the IT industry is it? What doesn't change in a year. 12 months from now you'll have more powerful CPUs, GPUs, faster SSDs, pretty much everything. You have to jump on at some point because there's always something better around the corner.[/citation]
What doesn't change ? crappy old consoles ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS