Nvidia Reveals Pascal: GTX 1080 And 1070 To Beat Titan X, GDDR5X Debuts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I currently have i5-3570K, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and most importantly:G1 Gaming GTX 980 SLI.

So now that hard part, upgrade now to a single 1080p? Or wait?
Also must I full upgrade my rig / build a new system to use this card properly?

I just don't know. For that price range (which is still very expensive but cheaper than what Titan X was) getting x2 performance of Titan X is just tempting.

But maybe I should wait for 1080ti or whatever comes next? Pascal is still in its diapers basically, is skipping it wise?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I'm tired if nvidia. I'm update hbm2 yields are too low. Pc gaming desperately needs to be difribullated along with more VR adoption for a new lease on life and interest. These marginal improvements mixed with planned obsolescence isn't the catalyst we need

Color me disappointed. They stated this would be a lot faster. They also stated this would have HBM2 and now we got 8 GDDR5X. 8G ram is also a HUGE disappointment. I was expecting at least 12G. I think I just put off a new video card purchase for 6 months at least.

YoungWolf

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Color me disappointed. They stated this would be a lot faster. They also stated this would have HBM2 and now we got 8 GDDR5X. 8G ram is also a HUGE disappointment. I was expecting at least 12G. I think I just put off a new video card purchase for 6 months at least.
Dunno why you would be disappointed. The 1080 is giving twice the performance of the Titan X in VR (tbh it will be more likely a 40-50% increase in gaming). Which means when comparing to its direct generational predecessor (the GTX 980) we can expect 70-80% increase in performance. Thats a massive increase for 1 generation (especially in recent times where the norm seems to be 10-20% increases). Sure it could have been faster and more refined with better tech - but at $599 its a steal. I'm delighted and will definitely be getting one. Then again I'm not too much into 4k - I'd much rather have a 144hz monitor at 1440p than 60hz at 4k, which makes this card ideal for me.

Mineria

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
"Nvidia said that the GTX 1080 is equipped with 8GB of GDDR5X memory, but it did not mention the frequency at which it operates."

Actually they did when showing the PrecisionX stats overlay for the EPIC demo.
5506Mhz for 10Gbps

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

With your setup, I'd wait. Those 980ti's are as cutting edge as it gets for right now and if DX12 implementation matures sooner than later you might see some impressive gains in the next year or so. Don't try Rise of Tomb raider's DX12 patch though as it disables SLI so its really a bad way to early judge what dx12 might offer. I read many benchmarks showing a single 980ti being faster than a single titan in most tests so your SLI is already much faster.

For your setup I would recommend the cheaper upgrades such as faster memory or ssd's. Until some real benchmarks and comparisons can prove differently it looks like the current 1080's are only going to give you marginal improvement. If you want that big leap you'll probably need to wait until next titan.

Last I heard about the new cards is that they're still pcie3.0. I know there's a new thing coming, but since there's not mass support w/ the mobo manufacturers yet it probably still has a ways to go. So you don't need to rebuild for them.

cerealkeller

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
2.1 GHz, damn that's crazy. I've currently got SLI GTX 980s at 1530 Mhz/8400 Mhz. But my complaint is a lot of new games don't support SLI. I want to ditch SLI entirely. But this card isn't fast enough to justify the loss in performance for me in games that do support SLI. But, when the 1080 Ti comes out, if it has HBM memory, then I'm definitely gonna sell my 980s and grab one of those. Also, the 4GB of VRAM that my 980s have isn't near enough VRAM for 4K and higher.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
End of the year well get our 1080ti P100 chip with 3840 and DDR5x 8GB of Ram, I'm sure the titan will be nothing more than a 1080ti but with HBM2 16GB

So Anandtech report this: "NVIDIA’s own performance marketing slides put the average at around 65% faster than GTX 980 and 20-25% faster than GTX Titan X/980 Ti, which is relatively consistent for a new NVIDIA GPU"

And you guys report this: "Nvidia said that the GTX 1080 offers two times the performance of the company's current flagship Titan X"

You really need to re-word that section of the article, it's extremely misleading. The section you've quoted to get your "two times... Titan X" claim was not referring to overall gaming performance at all... but you've not made that clear above.

I won't be disappointed. Bandwidth-wise, the 1080 is way faster than the Fury X, with 720 GB/s of memory bandwidth vs 512. If you noticed, the Fury X was a 4K-only card; it suffered in low resolutions, sometimes getting even slower than a 980. I believe that was because of its low frequency - only 500 MHz. With a very wide bus, we get a lot of potential room for data movement, but not that much gain.

With GDDR5X, we have more frequency - which means we'll be able to use that bandwidth more effectively.

HBM2 must not be mature yet. Let's wait for it to mature before jumping to conclusions. Personally I feel the 1080 will yield impressive(relatively) framerates on 4K.

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Anyone have size specs on these things? I'd like to build a mini/micro ATX in the near future and would love to put one of these cards in the build.

So are the first buyers going to get screwed in a few months when a 1080ti is dropped? Anybody know for sure if the 1080ti will be a thing?

I don't want to buy this then a few months later the 1080ti comes out at the same price.

They'll probably release a Titan in some months, maybe 4, and then a 1080Ti in 2017.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
So are the first buyers going to get screwed in a few months when a 1080ti is dropped? Anybody know for sure if the 1080ti will be a thing?

I don't want to buy this then a few months later the 1080ti comes out at the same price.

Of course, This happens every time. I'm just glad Nvidia is focusing on single GPU beasts and not a dual GPU flops like my old GTX295's

Give it time, I'm sure they'll get there. :lol:

Of course, This happens every time. I'm just glad Nvidia is focusing on single GPU beasts and not a dual GPU flops like my old GTX295's
[/quotemsg]

Agreed. SLI seems to be getting worse with the introduction of VR. 295 was a really hot card. Care to warm your pizza on it.

BrushyBill

Distinguished
May 23, 2014

With your setup, I'd wait. Those 980ti's are as cutting edge as it gets for right now and if DX12 implementation matures sooner than later you might see some impressive gains in the next year or so. Don't try Rise of Tomb raider's DX12 patch though as it disables SLI so its really a bad way to early judge what dx12 might offer. I read many benchmarks showing a single 980ti being faster than a single titan in most tests so your SLI is already much faster.

The only way the 980ti is faster than a TitanX is if it were OC'd pretty well and the TitanX was running stock. People forget to think about things like that when checking benchmarks. You need a couple hundred Mhz Core speed over the TitanX just to match it. Take into account that someone like myself can OC both of his Titans to 1565 core 24/7 stable, you would have to have one hell of an OC on that/those 980ti's to catch up. Albeit, when it comes to gaming those differences are just a few FPS and nothing too substantial. If you're just gaming and not benchmarking, just being able to keep your monitors refresh rate maxed at all times is perfect, not matter what you're running.

On another note. Two Titan X in SLI struggle keeping some games at 144fps+ at all times on a 2560x1440 resoltuion. I've been saying for a long time that I would love to drop back down to one card since SLI isn't really all it's cracked up to be. Would be nice to see a single Pascal card take the place of these Titan X I have. As others have said, now it's a waiting game on those benchmarks.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I find this to be nothing more than a stop-gap as they work with the new process node. I don't expect much from the 1080, especially when its paired with GDDR5x. AMD has shown working models months ago so I feel its safe to say AMD is ahead this product cycle. I think nVidia is announcing this with a paper launch purely to lower AMD sales who will be first onto market.
Naturally I expect the nVidia part to be much lower power and a marginal improvement in performance since they are in a smaller package.
I also expect at least one AMD part with HBM memory since they have already begun integrating it into their hardware with the Fury. It isn't as risky for AMD to do a die shrink with HBM as it would be for nVidia.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Well, I invested in high-end Benq gaming screen with FreeSync support, so it's going to be AMD for me for awhile. Too bad nVidia would not support FreeSync, I'd get GTX 1070 day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.