Nvidia Revenue Drops 60 Percent in Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmerc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Intel will give us ray tracing very easily. Do a search for Quake 3 raytraced and you will be surprised on which machine it is running. An Intel.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Duh, Henry Paulson and George Bush both stood up in the middle of the theater and screamed fire. Told the world that calamity was upon us. Told every worker that they could expect to be unemployed soon. Told every manufacturer and sales business that they would not be able to get loans. Told the world to basically hunker down and not spend their money, because next week they may not make any new money, a crisis is upon us. So businesses stopped buying computers, consumers stopped upgrading graphics cards and other things. Instead of going further into debt buying American's actually paid off large portions of their credit card debts. I for one know a joke of a scare when i see one. I do not believe in man made global warming, and I do not believe there is a financial crisis that is other than the one made up by Paulson and friends to force feed us pathetic citizens the idea that we have to give more to the government than we already do. I bought a new card, GTX 285 the week it launched $349.99 I think it was. I also got myself 8GB of ram, I think $125 for (2) 2GBx2 DDR2 1066. Later on I will be buying a new CPU cooler. Later this year I will build an HTPC after I get more educated on what I need to make it work. In all likelyhood that will mean either a discrete GPU from nVidia, or a motherboard from nVidia. I hope more Americans start to see through the haze created by Paulson and freinds soon, so that the USA economy can recover very quickly. Noting that in every other recession the world has known productivity has always fallen before unemployment and large layoff began. This recession saw unemployment rise shortly after Paulson's scream in the theater and large layoffs in anticipation of falling productivity. I have every confidence that nVidia will weather the storm and once the fog clears will be in a strong position in the future.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD GPU is already possible to Raytrace and Global Illumination. Its been able to since the HD3800 cards. There is even a game developed in OGRE that has real-time raytracing in it.

Dmerc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I think when Intel's GPU comes out it will be much easier to program ray tracing games.I am just wondering if it will be able to beat Nvidia and ATI cards.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
60% down from the same Q year before but their marketshare increased. i guess people don't buy graphics cards with their unemployment checks.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Dmerc[/nom]Intel will give us ray tracing very easily. Do a search for Quake 3 raytraced and you will be surprised on which machine it is running. An Intel.[/citation]

I'm sorry, over 1 FPS ray-tracing performance was assumed. I can ray-trace a scene by hand in the same amount of time.

I'm not interested in going back to the dark days of under-performance.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]Duh, Henry Paulson and George Bush both stood up in the middle of the theater and screamed fire. Told the world that calamity was upon us. Told every worker that they could expect to be unemployed soon. Told every manufacturer and sales business that they would not be able to get loans. Told the world to basically hunker down and not spend their money, because next week they may not make any new money, a crisis is upon us. So businesses stopped buying computers, consumers stopped upgrading graphics cards and other things. Instead of going further into debt buying American's actually paid off large portions of their credit card debts. I for one know a joke of a scare when i see one. I do not believe in man made global warming, and I do not believe there is a financial crisis that is other than the one made up by Paulson and friends to force feed us pathetic citizens the idea that we have to give more to the government than we already do. I bought a new card, GTX 285 the week it launched $349.99 I think it was. I also got myself 8GB of ram, I think $125 for (2) 2GBx2 DDR2 1066. Later on I will be buying a new CPU cooler. Later this year I will build an HTPC after I get more educated on what I need to make it work. In all likelyhood that will mean either a discrete GPU from nVidia, or a motherboard from nVidia. I hope more Americans start to see through the haze created by Paulson and freinds soon, so that the USA economy can recover very quickly. Noting that in every other recession the world has known productivity has always fallen before unemployment and large layoff began. This recession saw unemployment rise shortly after Paulson's scream in the theater and large layoffs in anticipation of falling productivity. I have every confidence that nVidia will weather the storm and once the fog clears will be in a strong position in the future.[/citation]

Looking at your screen name, I assume you are not a home owner and know nothing about the collapse of the homing makert which caused everything else. So I guess the fact that homes here in So Cal have fallen 25% in last 2 years is just Bush and Paulson yelling fire. If only the 2 million people who lost their jobs in the last 3 months would just pay off their debt and buy nVidia, the US economy woyld recover. Time to grow up stoner and move out of your parent's house.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]Duh, Henry Paulson and George Bush both stood up in the middle of the theater and screamed fire. Told the world that calamity was upon us. Told every worker that they could expect to be unemployed soon. Told every manufacturer and sales business that they would not be able to get loans. Told the world to basically hunker down and not spend their money, because next week they may not make any new money, a crisis is upon us. So businesses stopped buying computers, consumers stopped upgrading graphics cards and other things. Instead of going further into debt buying American's actually paid off large portions of their credit card debts. I for one know a joke of a scare when i see one. I do not believe in man made global warming, and I do not believe there is a financial crisis that is other than the one made up by Paulson and friends to force feed us pathetic citizens the idea that we have to give more to the government than we already do. I bought a new card, GTX 285 the week it launched $349.99 I think it was. I also got myself 8GB of ram, I think $125 for (2) 2GBx2 DDR2 1066. Later on I will be buying a new CPU cooler. Later this year I will build an HTPC after I get more educated on what I need to make it work. In all likelyhood that will mean either a discrete GPU from nVidia, or a motherboard from nVidia. I hope more Americans start to see through the haze created by Paulson and freinds soon, so that the USA economy can recover very quickly. Noting that in every other recession the world has known productivity has always fallen before unemployment and large layoff began. This recession saw unemployment rise shortly after Paulson's scream in the theater and large layoffs in anticipation of falling productivity. I have every confidence that nVidia will weather the storm and once the fog clears will be in a strong position in the future.[/citation]

You obviously have no idea about what is going on in the United States. There have been more job losses in the past 15 months than there has been since the great depression. If the pace keeps picking up like it has been we might see unemployment reach 15%. Let's see your conspiracy theory when 50,000,000 Americans no longer have a source of income, the government can't handle the unemployed checks any longer, and they lose their cars and their homes.

You'll see some real civil unrest of things don't turn around, and turn around quickly.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I know all about the home market problems, I have been watching from outside since 2001.
Exactly TWO areas are HARD hit, California is one. The rest of the country is mildly impacted. Most banks are perfectly liquid and are lending money just fine. Only the large banks with huge capital investments in retardedly murky paper are in trouble. I am still getting credit card offers, 0% transfers. Does not seem to be a dry market for lending. I do not own a home, I have been looking to buy one since around 2001. In 2001 when I was in California prices had gone up in the neighborhood I was looking something like 22% the previous year, I though, bah, it is a fluke and prices will go down, by 2003 I was never going to be able to buy a house. The fact is that if you bought a house in 2003 through 2008 in the hot markets, you are a retard and your money would have ended up being wasted someplace else anyways. Now that prices have come back down to values that are somewhat related to the incomes of jobs available in the neighborhood it is a CRISIS? How much of our economy is based on housing anyways? 10%? How much of our housing actually has a mortgage on it? 10%? How many of those mortgages are in crisis? 10%? That makes up .1% of our economy. Quite the crisis we have there. Do I feel sorry for anyone losing their home that bought between 2003 and 2008? Hell no I do not, many of them thought they would flip that home in 6 months and make a hundred grand in the process. Others thought that house prices would keep going up and they would refinance next year and use the current time to refinance to buy a new SUV, family vacation or some other LUXURY they otherwise could not afford, what ever thier reasoning for buying a house in a hyperinflated market was the only thing it accomplished was making the problem far worse when the bubble did burst. They got their luxury, now they lost their home, I do not care. My personal bank went under, WAMU, it got taken up by another bank, want to know how it affected me? In two months I will have to change my login from one website to another website. Again, WHO CARES, I do not. The fact is that there is turmoil in the markets, but it is not a CRISIS unless you are the last retard holding onto property or the paper for property that was inflated 200% over its real market value, and in that case it is not MY crisis, it is YOURS. The internet bubble happened, 9/11 happened, Watergate, Oil Embargo, Cuban Missile, WWII and in every instance the American people weathered the storm, picked up where they left off and came back in a year or two better off than they were before. In almost all these instances the governments only role was to get out of the way, sometimes lowering taxes, which in my books is getting out of the way. The ONE time in which American's did not recover was when they allowed Washington to get between them and prosperity, it is called the Great Depression, which was Great because government meddled in every part of the economy. They thought a couple supposedly great minds could run an economy the Size of America better than 150,000,000 rubes out in the sticks could. They protected us from global trade, that did wonders for our exporting industries as well as any industry that needed imports from other countries which retaliated with protectionism back at us. They protected workers from losing jobs while at the same time forcing employers to overpay for work, that did wonders for employment, no wait, actually it made any prospective employer decide to forget about hiring someone, because they may never be able to get rid of them. While I am certain that what Obama and the rest of Congress is doing will only do HARM to our nation's economy, I beleive that Americans will pick up, move on and make the best of what is left and prosper in the future, just maybe not as much as we might have had government stood aside and allowed Americans to fix the mistakes the government forced upon them. As it stands, we will save a couple trillion dollars in lost revenues if the rescue plan works, and our children will be forced to pay interest over thier lifetimes that will amount to tens of trillions on that newly created debt, and that is if America is able to keep from defaulting on any loans and loses is AAA credit rating. If it loses it's AAA credit rating, make those tens of trillions and start adding 0's as interest rates go from mid single digits to low double digits. Another instance where that same problem may arise is if the government pumping money into the economy in such a huge fasion may cause inflation as more dollars chase fewer assets, then we have inflation and inflation means no one lends money cheap, so again interest rates jump. Just because my last name is Stoner, does not mean I am a drug using loser, you DOPE.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
tayb: just wondering, how much bigger the Us population is compared to when the great depression did hit?
thats why you use percentages. not direct numbers.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You obviously have no idea about what is going on in the United States. There have been more job losses in the past 15 months than there has been since the great depression. If the pace keeps picking up like it has been we might see unemployment reach 15%. Let's see your conspiracy theory when 50,000,000 Americans no longer have a source of income, the government can't handle the unemployed checks any longer, and they lose their cars and their homes. You'll see some real civil unrest of things don't turn around, and turn around quickly.[/citation]
There are already 50,000,000 americans without income. Only about 40% of the population works, the rest are reitired, young, retarded, disabled, independently wealthy, or ciminals. 15% unemplyment, I can see that happening if the government keeps sticking it's nose into every cranny of our economy.

The idea would go like this. We protect American jobs by protectionism such as not allowing foreign sources of steel or other products into anything that has the most remote connection the federal spending in it. The canadians, germans, french, and every other country retaliates by not allowing American made products be sold in their countries. Our companies then are forced to move jobs over to these countries in order to sell products to them, thus Americans laid off. I guess we have our first few thousand jobs going to Brazil this way through GM building a plant there using our tax dollar rescue money. Then the government starts to dictate what wages must be, and more jobs go to other countries with cheaper wages or they just go bankrupt because they cannot sell product at a price that matches cost to make. The government starts to tax energy consumption at exorbitant rates (Carbon Taxes or Cap and Trade) and more companies go out of business or move overseas to more free market freindly places like China? Then the government places vast amounts of our energy resources behind protected walls, and the price of fuel climbs and we become 90% dependent on foreign sources of energy, and when they decide to keep their energy we have blackouts and entire portions of our country go black for months on end. More companies decide to go where they can get energy cheap and reliably, a place like, China? Then the government decides that it knows what medical proceedures every single person is ENTITLED to, and those they are not entitled to will not be available, and the government will mandate the value of being a doctor and fewer people will become doctors. More people will get sick because they did not get the right medical care that a free society would have allowed them to buy, sick people make bad employees, and since there are so few jobs in this country anyways, all sick people will become unemployed sick people.

Actually I have been following all of this very closely. Go back and look at all the recessions we have had since 1945 and look at job losses. You must be listening to people who have no real clue as to the real state of our past. We have not lost anywhere near as many jobs as we lost in the early 1980's recession. We have not lost any real industrial output yet. In the 1970's unemployment was double and more than it is today. When you have 50% more population today you co not compare numbers to numbers, you compare percentages to percentages. If you have 10,000,000,000 and 1,000,000,000 are laid off, you have 10% unemployment, but if you have 300,000,000 and 1,000,000,000 are laid off, like our media loves to mention, you have about triple the number of people that exist unemployed.

I agree if you live in southern California, your life right now really sucks if you bought a home or refinanced a home in 2003 through 2008. I do not care about you though, tough shit, you did not look back in time before you bought your home, you did not look at what your income is and what your house payment was going to be? You did not have a savings account with 6 months of living expenses waiting if you lost your job? TOUGH LUCK buddy. Life happens, bad things happen, grow a pair of nads and pick yourself up and go do something of value and get paid for it. You cannot sell your house because you borrowed $400,000 on it, even though it appraised at $350,000 when even the appraisal was hyper inflated, but your bank allowed you a 125% loan, but you had to have that house, I mean next year it would be worth $400,000 and the year later maybe $500,000 what could go wrong? I do not care, pay it off or give it back to the rejects at the bank and suck up your losses. You make bad choices, you need to deal with it. I should not have to help you deal with your problems that arose from your crap choice of helping hyperinflate housing prices.

Some people in life are selvish, self serving, greedy peices of crap. I had the opportunity in 2001, in 2002 and 2003 to get on board the hyperinflating housing market and then turn my crap decision into a windfall profit for myself. I chose to stay in an appartment instead. Other people did not make that choice. They refinanced for a vacation around the world, or bought a nice new SUV or what ever they did with the money, lets hope they did not remodel their kitchen and then lose it, or they bought home after home using ninja loans and then putting those homes back on the market at a steep mark-up thus adding no value to the world, just to their own bank accounts. Yeah, Southern California, you know what I say to people in trouble in California. Enjoy the sun and deal with the problems or move to a saner state.

Hope this answers your issue. If not, oh well, I cannot be bothered anymore, my lunch break is almost over.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]Stoner.....DOPE.[/citation] You used these two words in the same same sentence, I still question your drug use. But you are right there is no financial Crysis, McCain lost all his political momententum because the economy is "fundamentally strong". And the Senate passed a stimulus bill(right or wrong) because everything is great! I am with you that government is over stepping itself, but just stating that doesn't mean there isn't a major problem.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Ask yourself if you thought the financial world was collapsing in July or August of 2008. Ask yourself how bad the situation would be if someone did not scream fire in a packed theater. Ask yourself how most people in the USA would have spent Christmas had Paulson not caused a panic out of the financial markets and tell businesses and consumers that they were next in the market collapse. The only crisis is in confidence and in the housing market. The housing would self correct on it's own. House prices were too high and had to come down, but the government is going to prop them up and let them drop slowly instead of on their own for the next four years, meaning the recovery will be held off three extra years for housing. The crisis in confidence never should have happened, but now that it has, the solution is simply having people understand that things are not really as bad as painted and things will turn around very quickly for everything EXCEPT housing. The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, the second step is admitting that you cannot fix it on your own. The government needs to get out of the way of the people who can fix the problem. Bad banks need to go to bankruptcy court and get liquidated. Bad assets need to be liquidated and turned over to people who actually have a clue, and those people are not government beaurocrats, but investors. Gm should go bankrupt, it is not like losing them is going to mean the factories go away, it just means that new managment steps in. The world is not ending, we are not going into a GREAT depression, unless the government pushes us into one. Free economies do not go into depression on their own, they have to be pushed into them by an outside source. Two sources can be war, the other is removal of the free by the government from economy.

People need food and shelter, thus free people will always work and increase the value of their life to provide these things for themselves, their family and then their friends and neighbors as needed. Assets do not dissapear because their value decreased, houses are still houses, factories are still factories and machinery is still machinery, although its value may decrease over time if not kept up by responsible owners.

Is it a major problem? Maybe, if you do not have any savings, have not ensured your are valuable to your company by getting educated or if you bought/refinanced a hyperinflated house between 2003 and 2008. These were choices on your part. You can save money no matter what your income is, unless it is 0. You can always get an education as long as you are willing to spend the time to do so, libraries are free. You should have done some research before buying that over inflated house into the incomes of the people who work in the neighborhood. If most people who work in a neighborhood cannot live near the neighborhood, then buying that house is a mistake, it is that simple. For the other 92% to 94% of Americans who will not be looking for work or going into foreclosure, there is no crisis. We are working, making money, putting money into savings accounts and watching as housing prices come back to normal prices so that we can actually afford to buy one ourselves.

By the way trialsking, while you attack my name because it can be associated with drugs, I look at your icon and it too appeares to have overtones of drug use. Earring, Long hair, head band, looks like the guy is talking smack, probably about something he does not understand.

G

Time to bring in their Nano pc's!
Too late! Intel beat them!lol...

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]A Stoner[/nom]I know all about the home market problems, I have been watching from outside since 2001.Exactly TWO areas are HARD hit, California is one. The rest of the country is mildly impacted. Most banks are perfectly liquid and are lending money just fine. Only the large banks with huge capital investments in retardedly murky paper are in trouble. I am still getting credit card offers, 0% transfers. Does not seem to be a dry market for lending. I do not own a home, I have been looking to buy one since around 2001. In 2001 when I was in California prices had gone up in the neighborhood I was looking something like 22% the previous year, I though, bah, it is a fluke and prices will go down, by 2003 I was never going to be able to buy a house. The fact is that if you bought a house in 2003 through 2008 in the hot markets, you are a retard and your money would have ended up being wasted someplace else anyways. Now that prices have come back down to values that are somewhat related to the incomes of jobs available in the neighborhood it is a CRISIS? How much of our economy is based on housing anyways? 10%? How much of our housing actually has a mortgage on it? 10%? How many of those mortgages are in crisis? 10%? That makes up .1% of our economy. Quite the crisis we have there. Do I feel sorry for anyone losing their home that bought between 2003 and 2008? Hell no I do not, many of them thought they would flip that home in 6 months and make a hundred grand in the process. Others thought that house prices would keep going up and they would refinance next year and use the current time to refinance to buy a new SUV, family vacation or some other LUXURY they otherwise could not afford, what ever thier reasoning for buying a house in a hyperinflated market was the only thing it accomplished was making the problem far worse when the bubble did burst. They got their luxury, now they lost their home, I do not care. My personal bank went under, WAMU, it got taken up by another bank, want to know how it affected me? In two months I will have to change my login from one website to another website. Again, WHO CARES, I do not. The fact is that there is turmoil in the markets, but it is not a CRISIS unless you are the last retard holding onto property or the paper for property that was inflated 200% over its real market value, and in that case it is not MY crisis, it is YOURS. The internet bubble happened, 9/11 happened, Watergate, Oil Embargo, Cuban Missile, WWII and in every instance the American people weathered the storm, picked up where they left off and came back in a year or two better off than they were before. In almost all these instances the governments only role was to get out of the way, sometimes lowering taxes, which in my books is getting out of the way. The ONE time in which American's did not recover was when they allowed Washington to get between them and prosperity, it is called the Great Depression, which was Great because government meddled in every part of the economy. They thought a couple supposedly great minds could run an economy the Size of America better than 150,000,000 rubes out in the sticks could. They protected us from global trade, that did wonders for our exporting industries as well as any industry that needed imports from other countries which retaliated with protectionism back at us. They protected workers from losing jobs while at the same time forcing employers to overpay for work, that did wonders for employment, no wait, actually it made any prospective employer decide to forget about hiring someone, because they may never be able to get rid of them. While I am certain that what Obama and the rest of Congress is doing will only do HARM to our nation's economy, I beleive that Americans will pick up, move on and make the best of what is left and prosper in the future, just maybe not as much as we might have had government stood aside and allowed Americans to fix the mistakes the government forced upon them. As it stands, we will save a couple trillion dollars in lost revenues if the rescue plan works, and our children will be forced to pay interest over thier lifetimes that will amount to tens of trillions on that newly created debt, and that is if America is able to keep from defaulting on any loans and loses is AAA credit rating. If it loses it's AAA credit rating, make those tens of trillions and start adding 0's as interest rates go from mid single digits to low double digits. Another instance where that same problem may arise is if the government pumping money into the economy in such a huge fasion may cause inflation as more dollars chase fewer assets, then we have inflation and inflation means no one lends money cheap, so again interest rates jump. Just because my last name is Stoner, does not mean I am a drug using loser, you DOPE.[/citation]
Finally, someone that understands how things work and the way the road of the American economy is paved! We are called a free market economy (or used to apparently). Our system is setup and designed for businesses to FAIL! In place, a stronger, more efficient, more knowledgeable, and overall better place of business will take its place. We should not be giving free passes to businesses that got greedy, corrupt, arrogant, sloppy, inefficient, and let these businesses go down the drain - it only makes our future stronger and for the better. Sure it hurts everyone trying to weather it out, but in turn, valuable lessons are learned and applied by those that run their operations well. After all, those that make it out of the storm are the ones that were destined to survive - "survival of the fittest". When we introduce Socialism into the system, well now, you change the whole ballgame and that becomes unnatural intervention. Things only go downhill from there along with the old America....

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Consumers are getting the idea that the whole thing is made up. They loosened up their wallets. I know my credit card debt is almost non exisitant now, and next month it will be gone, and I will probably start buying more at that time.
From Market Watch...
"Monthly U.S. retail sales defy forecasts to post first increase in seven months. At 1%, January's rise is the largest in more than a year."

All those companies that just shoved their productivity down the toilet with excessive lay-offs because the economic environment of crisis told them that they could get away with it without the normal stigmatism that goes along with being a company downsizing will wish they had more employees 6 months from now. All of the good employees they sacked will already have found employment making money for their new companies while the leftovers are, well, leftovers that were likely unproductive to begin with. I hope Intel and nVidia are in the boat of having kept their best resources on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.